AT&T sets single-day record for iPad sales, activations

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

AT&T announced on Monday that the launch of the new iPad set a new single-day record for sales and activations of Apple's touchscreen tablet.

The new 4G LTE-capable iPad went on sale last Friday, March 16, and in that 24-hour span, sales were the greatest AT&T has seen for a new iPad model. Previous, 3G-capable versions of the iPad were also sold through AT&T.

While the Friday launch was a record, AT&T declined to give specific numbers on just how many iPads were activated on its network, or how many the carrier sold in its stores or online.

The brief statement from the company said it saw "robust demand for the new iPad." It was released soon after Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said in a conference call with analysts that he was "thrilled" with the new iPad's launch weekend.

Though Cook also declined to give any specific sales figures, he did say that the third-generation iPad had gotten off to a record start over the weekend.

The new iPad is Apple's first-ever 4G LTE-capable device. Unique models compatible with the high-speed wireless data standard are available for both AT&T and Verizon, the two largest wireless carriers in the U.S.

As of last quarter, Apple sold 55 million total iPads to date. Predictions have called for Apple to sell one million of the new iPad over the launch weekend alone.

The iPad went on sale last Friday in a total of 10 countries, making it Apple's biggest launch yet. Wall Street analysts generally expect Apple will sell about 10.1 million iPads in the current March quarter.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    good news.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    I had to call them to transfer my data plan (SIMs not compatible) and the young lady on the phone said that they have been doing iPad work all day long. They did grandfather my unlimited plan to LTE so I'm very pleased with them.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    Well assuming 55M iPads sold then 5% is 2.7M. Its probably smaller, but ...
  • Reply 4 of 51
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    ATT is the most unorganized garbage company I have ever dealt with. I don't know how a company run by idiots can become so successful. Strong arm tactics maybe? Bullies were never considered smart.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

I had to call them to transfer my data plan (SIMs not compatible) and the young lady on the phone said that they have been doing iPad work all day long. They did grandfather my unlimited plan to LTE so I'm very pleased with them.

You might be better off with the 3GB and $10 per additional gig because they won't throttle you. If you are on the unlimited plan and reach 3 GB they can throttle you down to almost unusable speeds. That is what am thinking I may do if I go over and they throttle me. Either that or call them up and complain since I never even get close to 3 GB ever so if I did it would be a rare exception, but you never know with LTE, it could add up quickly.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You might be better off with the 3GB and $10 per additional gig because they won't throttle you. If you are on the unlimited plan and reach 3 GB they can throttle you down to almost unusable speeds. That is what am thinking I may do if I go over and they throttle me. Either that or call them up and complain since I never even get close to 3 GB ever so if I did it would be a rare exception, but you never know with LTE, it could add up quickly.

AT&T will throttle unlimited customers using LTE devices after they have surpassed 5GB of data in a billing cycle. For 3G or their pseudo 4G (HSPA+)devices the cap is 3GB.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Then Verizon's must be through the roof due to the fact that most buyers one would think would prefer a fully functioning new iPad- one without the hot spot feature crippled by AT&Fee.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inbloom View Post

AT&T will throttle unlimited customers using LTE devices after they have surpassed 5GB of data in a billing cycle. For 3G or their pseudo 4G (HSPA+)devices the cap is 3GB.

good to know, thanks. Right now LTE is really fast, but you have to wonder how long that is going to last once everyone gets on it.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Then Verizon's must be through the roof due to the fact that most buyers one would think would prefer a fully functioning new iPad- one without the hot spot feature crippled by AT&Fee.

I took my AT&T preorder in to Apple store and exchanged it for the Verizon model. I only use the data plan when I'm out and 250mb was enough to last the month. 5 dollars more for one gig and a hot spot, not to mention images for the high Rez display will probably eat that 250 mb much faster. Very happy with the Verizon plan.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:

I disagree. The AT&T entry point is lower than Verizon's ($15 versus $20). Most of us use free wifi and only want 4G when we are in between wifi networks. AT&T also gives you 1GB more than Verizon at the $30 price point. Where I live, AT&T 4G LTE was much faster. 9to5 Mac also reached the same conclusion. If you leave a Verizon 4G footprint (still easy to do), you are stuck with their awful 3G CDMA.

The hot spot feature will be offered by AT&T soon. However, I don't think that many people want to lug around an iPad for a wifi hotspot.....the iPhone is a much better alternative.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Wow really fast with only 5GB of data. That's like having a Ferrari that is only used on the weekends. Come to Europe where we still have unlimited contracts for 50 bucks. Granted we only get about 12MB\\s and not the 20+ LTE has but you can surf your butt off. I average about 32GB a month so 5GB would kill me as 12 is still pretty fast at least for me.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Synergi View Post

I took my AT&T preorder in to Apple store and exchanged it for the Verizon model. I only use the data plan when I'm out and 250mb was enough to last the month. 5 dollars more for one gig and a hot spot, not to mention images for the high Rez display will probably eat that 250 mb much faster. Very happy with the Verizon plan.

I was on the fence, waited a day, the went with VZ because I refuse to have AT&T cripple my new iPad right out of the box. It would be a reason to return the device for a replacement if any feature didn't work.

And I am in total agreement with you on the 250mb nonsense. With added data for hi res imagery etc. once you reach that cap- what- you then have to pay AT&t another $15?! They can stick it. Not to mention their deceptive advertising that they have the largest 4G network whereas they count HSPA into it? How would you know if your on LTE or HSPA as the iPad only will say 4G? Their LTE coverage is severely limited. Utter BS.

So I get my iPad on Wednesday- I'm very happy w my decision.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

How would you know if your on LTE or HSPA as the iPad only will say 4G? Utter BS.

Cause it says LTE when it's on 4G LTE vs just 4G when on HSPA+. How is the Verizon "3G" data speeds in your main areas of usage?
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

How would you know if your on LTE or HSPA as the iPad only will say 4G? Utter BS.

Ha...well...any Verizon user will certainly know when they leave the 4G LTE for their 3G CDMA!
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Cause it says LTE when it's on 4G LTE vs just 4G when on HSPA+. How is the Verizon "3G" data speeds in your main areas of usage?

Not an issue as Vz has LTE COVERAGE.

How often does my AT&T iPhone drop to Edge? Never.

Expect the same.

Why would you buy a crippled device again?
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Ha...well...any Verizon user will certainly know when they leave the 4G LTE for their 3G CDMA!

Again we won't because we have COVERAGE.

Why settle for a crippled device? We have an option that you don't have. Sorry.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:

I disagree. The AT&T entry point is lower than Verizon's ($15 versus $20). Most of us use free wifi and only want 4G when we are in between wifi networks. AT&T also gives you 1GB more than Verizon at the $30 price point. Where I live, AT&T 4G LTE was much faster. 9to5 Mac also reached the same conclusion. If you leave a Verizon 4G footprint (still easy to do), you are stuck with their awful 3G CDMA.

The hot spot feature will be offered by AT&T soon. However, I don't think that many people want to lug around an iPad for a wifi hotspot.....the iPhone is a much better alternative.

It an option you don't have and how do you know your going to get it soon? Link?

And if AT&T charges you? You say you don't want it yet seem like you do???

How is it easy to leave their footprint? Link again please.

Their map is extraoridary for LTE. http://network4g.verizonwireless.com...verage_Map.pdf
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Again we won't because we have COVERAGE.

Why settle for a crippled device? We have an option that you don't have. Sorry.

Don't forget, Verizon also has major network LTE outages....4 since December! Ask those customers how it felt to bounce back to CDMA!
  • Reply 19 of 51
    As far as Verizon or AT&T... If not in a LTE market which I am not I'm sticking with my AT&T plan because of the iPad falling back to a HSPA+ network. Between by iPhone 4S and the new iPad I ping on average 70 to 90 and average around 5Mbps.

I had no issues again transferring my unlimited data plan to the new iPad. Did it through the web portal on the web but found out later I could have done it right through the iPad which was my only complaint about AT&T is that they didn't inform of the process they would have in place. I was however told by several different people at AT&T if you have an unlimited plan and transfer you will not have your data throttled since the orginal agreement didn't have data caps hence as to why they pulled the plan a couple of month later. I'll test this out here shortly when I'm in NYC and Orlando and plan to stream a lot from NHL.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

Don't forget, Verizon also has major network LTE outages....4 since December! Ask those customers how it felt to bounce back to CDMA!

Does Vz dynamically update the map during those outages?