Cops shoot dog, say it was "going after officer", video shows othewise

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Man, I just got done reading <a href="http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/01/09/police.kill.dog/index.html"; target="_blank">this</a> article over at cnn.com, and i was appalled. cops stop a family by mistake, cuff them all by the side of the road. they leave the doors open on the car, while the family pleads with them to close the doors, as they have dogs inside.

one of the dogs gets out, and starts walking around outside the car. when it cirlces back towards the family and cops, one of the cops shoots it in the head with his shotgun. the dogs tail was wagging the entire time.

as a dog owner, i hope they throw the book at these assholes, and sue the city for a good chunk of change. it seems like such a typical problem, cops acting first, thinking later. all i can say is that i'm glad they put video cameras on cars now, at least this family's word won't be quesitoned as to what happened.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 108
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    That's horrible.
  • Reply 2 of 108
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>all i can say is that i'm glad they put video cameras on cars now, at least this family's word won't be quesitoned as to what happened.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I couldn't agree more
  • Reply 3 of 108
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote] "Sir, inside information is that you <strong>was</strong> involved in some type of robbery in Davidson County," <hr></blockquote>

were.... the cop is a moron and has no business even talking, let alone owning a gun and enforcing laws

how could you kill a dog like that? was a SHOTGUN really necessary to have on hand?

what the hell is the point of a cop with a shotgun anyway isn't it for skeet shooting?!

Edit: PS can anyone get the video to work? no dice on Safari or OW

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: Paul ]

Edit: ubb/dvorak

I don't see a place to subscribe to anything either...

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 108
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Holy ****. If anyone deservers a ****ing million dollar judgement, it's these people. This is just INSANE.

I can't even put to words how ****ing mad this makes me!!!

(you need to be a subscriber of thiers to get the video BTW)
  • Reply 5 of 108
    i dont know about the rest of the country, but here in texas the cops are basically the group of people who couldn't graduate high school--basically, the lowest of the low. i have met one decent cop, but every other experience has been that the people hired to protect us are more a liability than anything else.
  • Reply 6 of 108
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>Holy ****. If anyone deservers a ****ing million dollar judgement, it's these people. This is just INSANE.

I can't even put to words how ****ing mad this makes me!!!

(you need to be a subscriber of thiers to get the video BTW)</strong><hr></blockquote>

A million dollars for killing a DOG?
  • Reply 7 of 108
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>

A million dollars for killing a DOG?</strong><hr></blockquote>

in addition to false arrest and general incompetence with a firearm. if those cops were that gun-happy in dealing with a dog, imagine how easy it would be for them to use it on those people?? those people should never have to have been put in that situation. those officers should never be allowed to hold a firearm again.
  • Reply 8 of 108
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>

in addition to false arrest and general incompetence with a firearm. if those cops were that gun-happy in dealing with a dog, imagine how easy it would be for them to use it on those people?? those people should never have to have been put in that situation. those officers should never be allowed to hold a firearm again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought he implied the suit for a Million dollars would be valid based solely on the cop killing a dog.
  • Reply 9 of 108
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>

I thought he implied the suit for a Million dollars would be valid based solely on the cop killing a dog.</strong><hr></blockquote>

perhaps. but on the whole, the officers in question acted unprofessionally in ALL aspects of the scene. they could sue them for millions based on any piece of the event...but on the whole i want these men fined, kicked off the force, banned from any used of firearms, and put on probation for life. stupidity mixed with guns leads to death, but unfortunately this is a combination that will never go away...especially when we are the ones putting these men in charge of our wellbeing...
  • Reply 9 of 108
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Guess you guys have never been to Korea? Crazy dog people.

I'll wait for he rest of the story or untill I see the video for myself.
  • Reply 11 of 108
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Guess you guys have never been to Korea? Crazy dog people.

I'll wait for he rest of the story or untill I see the video for myself.</strong><hr></blockquote>

watch the video. it's right there...
  • Reply 12 of 108
    Sorry, not paying 5 bucks to watch doggy snuff.

From the officers perspective, they were suspects in a robbery, and it's pretty easy to misinterpret a dogs behavior, especially if you're afraid of them.
  • Reply 13 of 108
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea people this is a dog. I like dogs too but they are not people. Worry more about people then you do pets. Poeple get shot by the cops everyday and we don't see threads here.
  • Reply 14 of 108
    Hey look. The dog was Christian.

[quote]The Smoaks buried their pet at home. A white cross marks the grave.<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 15 of 108

<strong>Sorry, not paying 5 bucks to watch doggy snuff.

From the officers perspective, they were suspects in a robbery, and it's pretty easy to misinterpret a dogs behavior, especially if you're afraid of them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

pay 5 bucks? uhh...there's no fee for this...

what page are you looking at??? it's right there on the right side of the page alcimedes linked to...

oh, and what's to misinterpret about a dog wagging it's tail?? and keep in mind that this dog was only a puppy and about 25 pounds...

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: _ alliance _ ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 108
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>Yea people this is a dog. I like dogs too but they are not people. Worry more about people then you do pets. Poeple get shot by the cops everyday and we don't see threads here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

that's just the point. if an officer is so quick to blow the head off a dog, i wouldn't think he's too far from "accidently" blowing some guys head off cause he took a step towards him...

these people were pulled over with no evidence that they did anything wrong and were thrown onto the ground in handcuffs as if they were threatening in some way. these people were unarmed, the police had zero provocation, and the police refused to listen to anything these people had to say...including that there was a dog in the car and that they should close the doors so it didn't get out and accidently get run over or shot by some moronic police officers.
  • Reply 17 of 108
    I keep getting a "too watch this video you must be a subscriber" message huh?
  • Reply 18 of 108

<strong>I keep getting a "too watch this video you must be a subscriber" message huh?</strong><hr></blockquote>

strange...

i'm not a subscriber of anything and it works perfectly through real player...

does it say subscriber of cnn, or what?
  • Reply 19 of 108

<strong>

that's just the point. if an officer is so quick to blow the head off a dog, i wouldn't think he's too far from "accidently" blowing some guys head off cause he took a step towards him...</strong><hr></blockquote>

No you have the point backwards. If it's "just a dog" then a person is not the same. It's not one step away from shooting people for one step.

<strong>these people were pulled over with no evidence that they did anything wrong and were thrown onto the ground in handcuffs as if they were threatening in some way. these people were unarmed, the police had zero provocation, and the police refused to listen to anything these people had to say...including that there was a dog in the car and that they should close the doors so it didn't get out and accidently get run over or shot by some moronic police officers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well yea. These guys were in some kind of Fox TV Show COPS live from COOKEVILLE, Tennessee hyper macho mode. They did have a reason to pull them over. A lost wallet led to a muddled police report with bad information. They didn't know what they were dealing with. I'm not saying these are great guys. Just that ... you know ... it's a dog. Had they shot ... a real person ... then it would be a news story.
  • Reply 20 of 108
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    This is atrocious!!