FAA's 'fresh look' at devices may allow iPad use during takeoff & landing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Your being pedantic. There are plenty of words we use every day without thinking twice about their etymology or how the original definition no longer applies.

The fallacy is believing other cultures actively altered colloquial terms because it no longer fit the original definition. Language simply doesn't work that way.

You're wrong, it's not a fallacy at all..

Brits, Aussies, New Zealanders, Canadians: None of them call a "mobile phone" a "cell phone." Like I said, we are the only English speaking nation who says "cell phone" instead of mobile phone.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Brits, Aussies, New Zealanders, Canadians: None of them call a "mobile phone" a "cell phone." Like I said, we are the only English speaking nation who says "cell phone" instead of mobile phone.

If it's not a fallacy give me an examples where an entire nation or nations get together to collectively change a popular and well understood colloquial term simply because it's not the most accurate descriptor.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    dkimakdkimak Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Cell phone is still the more common term in much of Canada.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dkimak View Post

Cell phone is still the more common term in much of Canada.

I wonder how he would feel about calling a mobile phone a cordless phone and vice versa since both are accurate descriptors of each even though not accepted terms for the other.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder how he would feel about calling a mobile phone a cordless phone and vice versa since both are accurate descriptors of each even though not accepted terms for the other.

We had mobile phones long before we had cell phones. The ones I am familiar with were made by Motorola. They were quite expensive and were based on their regular mobile radio technology. I think that is partially the reason when cell phones came out they wanted to differentiate them from the legacy mobile phones by calling them cellular phones.