Estimated shipping times for Apple's new iPad improve to 1-2 weeks

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

In the face of strong demand that led to a record launch for the new iPad, Apple has begun to improve supply for its touchscreen tablet, as new orders from its online store are now advertised to ship in one to two weeks.

As of Tuesday, all models of the new iPad — capacities, colors and carriers — are advertised to ship in one to two weeks from Apple's U.S. store. That's an improvement from Monday, when shipping times were listed as two to three weeks.

Shipping times first slipped to two to three weeks a week ago, just five days before the new iPad was set to go on sale. And preorders of the launch-day supply of iPads sold out less than two days after the new iPad was announced.

Availability of the previous-generation 16-gigabyte iPad 2 remains with an estimated shipping time of one to three business days with the exception of the Verizon 3G model, which is advertised as "in stock" for more immediate shipment.

Improved shipping times for the new iPad are a sign that Apple has been better prepared to meet demand than last year with the launch of the iPad 2. For that launch, Apple was unable to keep up with overwhelming demand, and estimated shipping times at one point slipped to as long as five weeks.

Apple has managed to improve shipping times for the new iPad even as the company faces record demand for its third-generation tablet. It was announced on Monday that Apple sold more than 3 million of the new iPad over the device's three-day launch weekend. Launch sales of the iPad 2 weren't even announced in 2011 as Apple struggled to meet demand.

Improved availability in the U.S. is also a good sign abroad, as Apple is gearing up to launch the new iPad in 24 new countries on this Friday, March 23. Customers will be able to purchase the new iPad at 8 a.m. local time in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Those countries join the U.S. and nine others that kicked off iPad sales last week. In addition to America, the new iPad debuted in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Switzerland, the U.K. and the US Virgin Islands last Friday.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    My new iPad is awesome. Glad I got it.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Improved availability in the U.S. is also a good sign abroad, as Apple is gearing up to launch the new iPad in 24 new countries on this Friday, March 23. Customers will be able to purchase the new iPad at 8 a.m. local time in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

It's impressive they can reduce the times for the other countries with 25 coming aboard in just three days.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's impressive they can reduce the times for the other countries with 25 coming aboard in just three days.

Not that hard to sort out. They earmark a certain number for those countries and the rest is what is being used to fill outstanding orders in the initial ten countries and to restock the stores.

What will be interesting will be to see if the time drop sticks or if it goes back to the 2-3 or higher mark.

On a side note, I've heard from a friend of a friend's boyfriend source that works at one of the Apple stores that employees are currently not allowed to buy iPads, discount or no. Well not the new iPad. They can buy any of the clearance sizes of the iPad 2 they want. But until the demand is stabilized they can't buy the new model for personal use. Apparently the same thing happened last year as well. Probably won't stop some of them from having friends or parents buy for them even if it is at full price. I can't decide if that's smart because it gets more in the hands of customers or stupid cause the employees should know these things inside and out and having one is a great way to do that. Then again I suppose they could have a bunch of them in some break room/training room for them to mess around with and they have the ones on the floor as well.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Why are people buying them online. Every store pretty much has stock don't they. I mean if our local post office has them in stock then they must be some left at your local super store. I can just comment about what's happening in Switzerland though. The Apple store in Zurich is even giving away free iTunes cards with a purchase of an iPad.

Funny side note, in anticipation of huge lines for the iPads open sales day the Apple store blocked off the entire block with ropes for lines. There were none, the store never made maxium capacity the entire day. I thought that was cute, they had like 20 news vans outside. We only have one Apple Store in Switzerland so it's a big deal for us.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    This story will be turned into, "Due to insufficient iPad demand, delivery times are rapidly falling."
  • Reply 6 of 22
    >>>> In the face of strong demand that led to a record launch for the new iPad, Apple has begun to improve supply for its touchscreen tablet, as new orders from its online store are now advertised to ship in one to two weeks.

<snip>

Improve? As of yesterday, my Apple order status said that my iPad that I ordered online March 9 would ship on or before March 19? Now it says, "1 - 2 weeks" from today? I'm missing how that's an improvement?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

Improve? As of yesterday, my Apple order status said that my iPad that I ordered online March 9 would ship on or before March 19? Now it says, "1 - 2 weeks" from today? I'm missing how that's an improvement?

1) Did you get it engraved?

2) Maybe they are giving yours to someone else... which is an improvement for them.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    Nice to see Apple catching up with demand quicker than in the past.

The iPad really only has one remaining potential challenger -- the Win 8 tablets to be released later this year. If those are no more successful than Zune/WP7 then the iPad might dominate tablets for as long as tablets are a relevant product category.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

The iPad really only has one remaining potential challenger -- the Win 8 tablets to be released later this year. If those are no more successful than Zune/WP7 then the iPad might dominate tablets for as long as tablets are a relevant product category.

I personally can't stand the Metro interface and like you said, if the WP7 is any indication, then...

Oh, and one more thing, my iPad had a cosmetic blemish on it and I returned it for another 64GB black WiFi which they promptly brought out from their store room. It appeared that they had enough stock to go around.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I've got my new iPad and love it but I do really like the metro style for the touch interface. The thing I like the most are live tiles. There is so much wasted space on the iOS "desktop". It's just a personal preference thing, but I'd like to see Apple allow the app icons to be resized by the user and to include live updates as an option. Dont' like it? Don't have to use it.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Not that hard to sort out. They earmark a certain number for those countries and the rest is what is being used to fill outstanding orders in the initial ten countries and to restock the stores.

What will be interesting will be to see if the time drop sticks or if it goes back to the 2-3 or higher mark.

From experience (and I don't mean th experience Cook and Apple have) this is much easier said than done. Ge shear number of complete units that need to be made and that pass quality control is immense. We know this is tough because with considerably fewer units to sell their supply has outstripped their demand much faster with other products.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    With mere mention of Windows 8's launch late this year, Android is cornered. No manufacturer and developer will gambling big with Android. They're all in waiting mode. If by luck MS can release a killer version of Office on ARM then you can kiss goodbye Android tablet (minus Amazon's).

At the same time people who don't want to wait will have one choice only.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    A Verizon version (should say 4G) always seems to be in stock. I wonder what the reason is for that?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

A Verizon version (should say 4G) always seems to be in stock. I wonder what the reason is for that?

I'll still continue to pay for my MiFi through Verizon. Even though it's a contract. I know the iPad can be a hot-spot. I like the flexibility/portability of the Mi-Fi to be on and use with anything, in addition to anyone I am traveling with. There are times when I travel where I don't want to get the iPad out in addition to a laptop. If my company gave us the option to flip on tethering on the iPhone I'd be set.

But for Joe Consumer, unless you are in a car a bunch, the premium for the 4G model plus fees to use it just seem crazy with the availability of Wi-Fi. Even when you have to pay for Wi-Fi, still saving money in the long run. Just my opinion.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavfan1 View Post

I've got my new iPad and love it but I do really like the metro style for the touch interface. The thing I like the most are live tiles. There is so much wasted space on the iOS "desktop". It's just a personal preference thing, but I'd like to see Apple allow the app icons to be resized by the user and to include live updates as an option. Dont' like it? Don't have to use it.

I'm OK with the metro interface for a table for phone, but have to wonder what on earth made them think it would be good for a desktop PC.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    The folks manning the assembly lines at Foxconn must be on overdrive. SO tempted to get an iPad but I still feel the generation one iPad is still usable for my basic bed time browsing needs.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Wonder how many bought two iPads only to place on eBay thinking they could turn a quick profit like last year? Man were they wrong this year!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This is great!

Do you know how many scumbag scalpers got burned this year?

The best way to deal with iPad shortages is to have enough supply, and even though Apple sold millions of them in just a few days, they have met the challenge, and they have succeeded.

Who's going to buy from a sleazy scalper, when they can just head into a store and buy an iPad? Haha, suckers. The morons wasted their time waiting in line, wasting hours of their worthless lives, and now they can't even make a profit on what they bought! I love it!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

>>>> In the face of strong demand that led to a record launch for the new iPad, Apple has begun to improve supply for its touchscreen tablet, as new orders from its online store are now advertised to ship in one to two weeks.

<snip>

You didn't order a "Wi-Fi only" model. Now stop moaning and take it like a man.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm OK with the metro interface for a table for phone, but have to wonder what on earth made them think it would be good for a desktop PC.

The operative word in your sentence is "think". Balmer is trying to be Steve Jobs and predict where the puck is going. Sorry, Monkey Boy, the game is already over. You lost.