Cops shoot dog, say it was "going after officer", video shows othewise

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I always suspected you were a puppy killer Scott. Think of the puppies!

• Reply 22 of 108
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>

No you have the point backwards. If it's "just a dog" then a person is not the same. It's not one step away from shooting people for one step.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

did you even watch the video?? these guys looked like they were ready shoot those poor bastards, even though they were laying face down in the ground and unarmed. there were at least 6 officers with guns drawn ready to take out a middle-aged family of three and a 25 pound puppy wagging its tail...

watching this video, i wouldn't have been surprised if they did shoot one of those people. that guy who shot the dog was obviously frazzled and had NO idea how to handle the situation. it's a freaking puppy! wagging it's tail! do you want these idiots protecting you?!?!
  • Reply 23 of 108
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i haven't seen the video, but if i was pulled over with my family and then we were all handcuffed and force on the ground and then the officer started firing a shotgun....shit...that is some traumic shit....having your pet blown away while you and your family are handcuffed and helpless and not knowing what is next...i, my wife and my daughters would have freaked and i would want somebodies job for it....g

shit, just a dog...what do you think these people see at night when they go to bed, their dog getting it's head blown off while they watched...
  • Reply 24 of 108
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>

Just that ... you know ... it's a dog. Had they shot ... a real person ... then it would be a news story.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dog or not, the story is indicitave of some of the problems our police forces have today. For the most part I'd say the police culture is very unhealthy.
  • Reply 25 of 108
    yay for a military state! coup d'etat! viva la revolution!
  • Reply 26 of 108
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It's just a dog, sure, but it's their dog. I'm sure your attitude would be just as cavalier if a cop were to come and kill one of your animals (if you have one) or destroy some of your property. "Ah hell, man, it's just my house."

That cop should be fired immediately, there's no excuse for that behavior. I don't agree with the whole "first a dog, next a person" logic but he's an embarrasment to law enforcement.

"you was".... Jesus Christ; he should be fired for that.

Thank God for these cameras, how the hell else are we going to be protected from law enforcers, who by the way, are not charged with protecting you as a citizen? "To Protect And Serve" is PR.

In general I like cops, but they need to be under a more powerful microscope than the general public.
  • Reply 27 of 108
    i think its excessive to fire a cop over this. i mean, if cops can kill innocent and unmenacing people (amadou diallo), then what chance does a dog have?

the "officer" was probaly spooked or something [i didn download, since others mentioned it costs money]. he should be given a chance to become a better cop tho. i dont think a single incident [or even a pattern of serial incidents] should preclude some kind of treatment where a person could get better. maybe he could learn from this shooting, coupled with a little mandatory therapy, and could be a better cop. i'd think he's less likely now to shoot again, without cause.

i also find it odd that i'm writing that. i hayt pigs [not the loveable bacon-growing animals]. maybe its one of my alternate realities seeping onto the keyboard again.
  • Reply 28 of 108
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I wonder if there are incidents or someone killing a K-9 "cop"

what was their penalty? I'm sure that they were labeled "cop killers" also...

bullshit

"its only a dog"

Thuh F. I like your reasoning, that because of this incident he is less likely to do it again...

but the thing is he ABUSED his POWER as an officer of the law. That kind of thing SHOULD NOT be tolerated AT ALL.

how many times have you seen a cop do something wrong (run a red light, whatever) and get away with it?

now this abuse of power leads to actual destruction of property? hell property can be replaced... a life cannot, it can be substituted... but comeon...

noone should have to tolerate that
  • Reply 29 of 108
    btw, here's what happened in the video:

there were at least a half dozen cops surrounding the group who were behind the car. all there (husband, wife, and 17 year old son) were handcuffed on the ground with shotguns in their faces--looked like there are 2 cops on the man and 1 cop each on the wife and son. there were two or three cops milling around with shotguns at the ready when the dog trots over from the other side of the car. the dog, as i said before, is a puppy and about 25 pounds. the police officers are both at least 200 pounds and the one who fired looks like farva from the movie supertroopers. the dog trots over to this officer wagging his tail the whole way and looks like he is curious about the flash light the officer is holding. the officer takes one step back, aims, and fires within about 1 second of the dog coming near him--no hesitation...just a point blank shot to the head. the three cuffed people start screaming and yelling. the man tries to get up, but is pushed back onto the ground by the two officers guarding. meanwhile, every single officer on the scene has weapons drawn on both the cuffed people and two are aimed at the dead dog (don't understand this part, but whatever). lots of yelling and screaming...blah blah blah...

wouldn't a shot to the legs have done the trick if he was so scared? the dog made no menacing moves...just that curious look that puppies get when they meet someone new.

by the way, keep in mind that these officers refused to listen to the family about closing the doors the vehicle (the cops opened all of them when they dragged them out of the car) and that there was a dog in the car that they didn't want to run loose. but they didn't listen to a single word the family said...until they realized their mistake an hour later and let them go...

innocent until proven guilty...

damn, i love our system...
  • Reply 30 of 108
    and yes, i believe that if you harm a K-9 dog in the Force, that you will be tried as attempted murder of a police officer and be prosecuted as if it were a person you had harmed/killed. double-standards are everywhere folks.

oh yeah, and cops break the law a lot more than an average american does...

hypocricy knows no bounds.
  • Reply 31 of 108
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    The cop who did this just made himself a political liability big time! Hard core animal nuts will be frothing at the mouth like er......rabid dogs. My deceased Grandma was a big time Republican campaign donator and an animal nut. If she was still alive and a cop did this anywhere near where she lived she would have done anything in her power (especially threaten to pull support cash) to get his ass erased.

I think part of the rage against this type of misconduct comes from an innate sense that a loving pet is an innocent in this world much like a small child would be. So that is why outrage and punishment for something like this could be similar to if it was a human adult. I hope the Cookevill Police Department has a decent insurance policy to cover the impending civil judgement.

Fixed Spelling.

[ 01-10-2003: Message edited by: hegor ]</p>
  • Reply 32 of 108
    By the way, if you want to tell the Cookville Police Department what you think of their handling of Patton the dog just visit their website at <a href="http://www.cookevillepolice.com"; target="_blank">www.cookevillepolice.com</a>
  • Reply 33 of 108
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, you can even email the Dog Killer himself. Read this forum a bit!!!!!!!!

<a href="http://www.cookeville.com/forums/general/thread_view?threadID=00000186"; target="_blank">http://www.cookeville.com/forums/general/thread_view?threadID=00000186</a>;
  • Reply 34 of 108
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the thing that really gets me is that the whole situation could have been avoided so many times, with very simple, easy actions.

first, the cops could have closed the doors after they got the people out. not always a reflex, but smart when there are dogs in the car that aren't in crates.

second, when the family asked them repeatedly to close the doors to the car, just one of the 6+ officers could have listened and shut the door. i would think that with all family members on the ground, cuffed with shotguns pointing at their head (4 of the 6 officers) that the last two would consider the situation well enough in control to take the 20 seconds to shut the car door.

third, they could have listened to the family as they calmly told the officer that the dog was not dangerous.

fourth, he could have pepper sprayed the dog, hit the dog with the flashlight, kicked the puppy, hell, he could have pet it for pete's sake. how in the hell anyone can be scared of a 25lb. puppy prancing around with its tail wagging is beyond me. anyone who's that clueless should never have a loaded weapon in their hand.

most importantly though, by shooting the dog the officer took a situation that was in control and almost had the entire thing blow up in their faces.

he shoots the dog, the family freaks and tries to get up. it isn't impossible that one of the family members would have been shot while struggling to get up and help their dog. firing that shot took an already dangerous/delicate situation and threw it into a whole different gear. to jepordize the other officers as well as the civilians for something so stupid is appalling.
  • Reply 35 of 108
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote] Animal Abuse Cases - Details

Killing a police dog - (WA, US)

Date: 04/04/2000

Case Status: Convicted

Accused Abuser(s):

Kevin Ray Amos

Mary Chichester

Case Report

Amos, age 41, killed Vello, a 4 year old German shepherd with a single shotgun blast. Amos came across the dog tied helplessly at his estranged wife's remote country home. Velo had been left at the woman's home while she went out for the evening with the dog's handler, an Olympia police officer.

Velo had earned a reputation as a canine here and was just nominated for a local hero award by the Olympia Red Cross for helping his handler Mike Hovda track down a missing Alzheimer's patient who had wandered away.

Amos had a history of harassing his estranged wife. He admitted shooting the dog and led authorities to the dumpsite in some weeds about 15 feet off a rural road.

Amos and his 42 year old girlfriend, Mary Chichester, drove his white 4x4 pickup truck around a locked gate that stood at the entrance of a 2 mile long driveway of his estranged wife's home. Using a search warrant, the police searched the girlfriend's home and turned up illegal weapons. She has past convictions for domestic violence and is not permitted to keep guns.

Chichester was arrested in the courtroom of Amos' first court hearing. She admitted witnessing the dogs shooting, which prompted Amos to later get up in court and admit to shooting Velo. He later led the police to other canine's bodies, which probably would never have been found otherwise.

Amos has been charged with killing a police dog, a class C felony, which could mean up to five years in prison, and first degree theft, which is punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Further he is charged with several domestic violence offenses that could put him in jail for life. Chichester faces weapons charges.

Amos pleaded guilty in Lewis County Superior Court to harming a police dog and first-degree theft in the shooting death. He has been sentenced to 14 months in prison. Prosecutors dropped four burglary charges in a plea agreement but sought a higher sentence for killing the police dog. The standard sentence is up to 12 months.

What gives anyone the right to think they can take the life of a families dog justafiably when the penalty is 5 years for shooting a "Police" dog? Life is life, and when its taken without any disreguard it is disgusting and wrong. The officer should do time, the sherrif should be removed and the suspended should be the troopers that did not shut the door. If this doesnt happen I hope the public outcry is of biblical proportion until this is resolved for WE THE PEOPLE!!!!!

<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.cookeville.com/forums/general/thread_view?page=2&threadID=00001884"; target="_blank">from here</a>

5 years in prison if you kill a dog?!?

I think I'm going to be sick...

and to think the cop could "get off" with just losing his job

maybe I should be a cop, then I could do whatever I wanted...
  • Reply 36 of 108
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    This sort of thing Sickens me greatly. If that happened my dear dog I couldnt imagine the pain I would feel!
  • Reply 37 of 108
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>

did you even watch the video?? ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not going to pay to watch the video.
  • Reply 38 of 108
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>I always suspected you were a puppy killer Scott. Think of the puppies!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now you people are just being stupid.
  • Reply 39 of 108
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    You don't have to pay to watch the video (unless CNN has some weird anti-Mac video policy).

You have an inability to click links and detect sarcasm and you see fit to insult the intelligence of others? Odd.
  • Reply 40 of 108
    a guy in new mexico that killed a police dog that was chasing him is being prosecuted....i know a dog isnt a person, but two things...i have a 14 year old and a 7 year old dog at home....we have had them all their lives...they are a part of the family...not as important as my wife or daughters, but important and cherished....secondly, i agree that the office took a bad situation and make it much much worse...if it was me on the ground, i don't know how i would have reacted...it is very likely i would have jump up and acted crazy and i could have been shot and my kids left without a father....g