Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games

Comments

• Reply 21 of 175
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

1.) Why were by bumpers given out then? For free?

2.) Why was the antennae design changed?

3.) Why did SJ say to hold it another way?

That is if a problem never existed? Just sayin?

What was wrong with all the other iPhone antennas? Surely you must thnk those were all fatally flawed, too, since they changed them with...each... and...every...revision... of... the... iPhone.

Surely you must also believe the WiFi antennas were fatally flawed in the iPhone 4 because they moved that from being external to internal with the iPhone 4S. In fact, the one thing they kept constant with the iPhone 4 antenna (which is still shipping almost two years later) is that they kept this fatally flawed design active in the iPhone 4S. You know, that phone you claimed was a "real" update because it was the same thing they released back in 2010.

What about all those other fatally flawed components like the RAM, the GPU, the CPU, the BT, the NAND, the interconnects, the display, the casing, and on and on and on... because those have all been tweaked and updated with each revision of the iPhone.

Call me crazy but perhaps Apple took a brilliant idea and simply made it better. Wow! What a fucking crazy idea¡
  • Reply 22 of 175
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

1.) Why were bumpers given out then? For free?

Apologies, a problem never existed? with the phone. I'm certain that AT&T's network is absolute trash. Apple shouldn't have to cover for that.

Quote:

Because Verizon support was added, necessitating a physical change to the device. That isn't an argument in any way, shape, or form.
  • Reply 23 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anon7979 View Post

I'd like to see some investigation into the charging time of the iPad 3. Apple significantly increased the capacity of the battery, but they packed in the same ol' 10w charger from the previous two generations. My unscientific test is showing it taking approximately 7 full hours to charge from 1% (the point at which the iPad automatically shuts itself down) to 100%.

So? Your electric car in the garage will recharge in the same time span. You know, you gotta go to sleep sometime and plug your toys in.
  • Reply 24 of 175
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

1.) Why were by bumpers given out then? For free?

PR

Quote:

Because it could be improved. Why are cars changed every year? Because they can be improved slightly. That doesn't make last year's model flawed.

Quote:

Because at the time the only evidence was videos showed people squeezing the life out of their phone to demonstrate the signal loss. It wasn't a natural way of holding it at all.

Quote:

Nobody said it never existed. They just said it didn't exist for a significant amount of people.
  • Reply 25 of 175
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because Verizon support was added, necessitating a physical change to the device. That isn't an argument in any way, shape, or form.

Specifically for CDMA-based networks.
  • Reply 26 of 175
    Quote:

1.) Why were bumpers given out then? For free?

Yiou are wrong, wrong, wrong. The iPhone 4 antenna was never changed and it is still being sold to AT&T customers exactly as it was on day one.

The iPhone 4S antenna was changed to include Verizon frequencies along with the AT&T frequencies both in one iPhone.

Now, crawl back under your bridge.
  • Reply 27 of 175
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Cracked Displaygate

Antennagate

Locationgate

Batterygate

Heatgate

mobilemegate

Walled gardengate

Sweat shopgate

I've lost track.
  • Reply 28 of 175
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdws View Post

Are you guys trying to argue that Consumer Reports has some kind of grudge against Apple? With this latest test, they seem to be dealing in facts that better inform consumer buying decisions.

Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if you love the company and what it stands for, why would you oppose holding it to account?

I think CR figures (like many a tech web site) that "bad stuff about Apple" is a proven eyeball deliverer. That's not a grudge, that's just cynical expedience. Which is unfortunate, because CR used to have a reputation for being pretty dispassionate.

But "opening an investigation" into something as silly as "new iPad gets a little warmer"? That's pandering, straight up. A real turnoff.

And "absolute power corrupts absolutely"? What? Are you saying Apple has decided to deliver iPads that seer your flesh and now intends to cover that fact up with evil mind control, so CR to the rescue? What does somewhat warmer have to do with corruption?
  • Reply 29 of 175
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

So, has CR actually tested the temperature of other tablets?

how hot other tablets get doesn't really have any bearing on the issue. this isn't about which tablet gets hotter etc.

That said, how many iPads did they test. They seem to just take one unit, do their thing and apply it to millions of units, forgetting that with delicate electronics sometimes there are outliers that are truly defective. Which is why responsible testers use several units as well as several different testing scenarios
  • Reply 30 of 175
    bjojadebjojade Posts: 91member
    Without posting the ambient testing temperature of the iPads, the numbers they are posting are meaningless. Does it hit 113 degrees when the room is 40 degrees? How about if the room is 95 degrees?

The math behind this is simple, as a previous poster mentioned. The battery is twice the size, yet lasts the same amount of time. That means more energy is being dissipated over the same period of time. A fraction of the energy being dissipated is light, the rest is heat.

Now, that being said, even under normal conditions, the new iPad does seem to get conspicuously warm, whereas the original and iPad 2's would only get warm if you had them working hard. The demo loop that they have on the display models cause the new iPads to run quite warm, whereas the same demo loop running on an iPad 2 would not cause the iPad to get noticeably warmer at room temperature (about 70 degrees F)
  • Reply 31 of 175
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What's there to investigate? The new iPad is a little bit warmer than the old one? So what? That's the price of increased power. Jeez, some people are dumb. They should take a course in computer basics 101.

Newer computers actually run cooler due to process change and require less voltage.

nehalem < Sandybridge < ivybridge
  • Reply 32 of 175
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What was wrong with all the other iPhone antennas? Surely you must thnk those were all fatally flawed, too, since they changed them with...each... and...every...revision... of... the... iPhone.

Surely you must also believe the WiFi antennas were fatally flawed in the iPhone 4 because they moved that from being external to internal with the iPhone 4S. In fact, the one thing they kept constant with the iPhone 4 antenna (which is still shipping almost two years later) is that they kept this fatally flawed design active in the iPhone 4S. You know, that phone you claimed was a "real" update because it was the same thing they released back in 2010.

What about all those other fatally flawed components like the RAM, the GPU, the CPU, the BT, the NAND, the interconnects, the display, the casing, and on and on and on... because those have all been tweaked and updated with each revision of the iPhone.

Call me crazy but perhaps Apple took a brilliant idea and simply made it better. Wow! What a fucking crazy idea¡

You actually believe the bumper provides protection? Not improved antenna reception? Why is it the only iPhone Apple ever made that needs a faux case?

Call me crazy- think different!
  • Reply 33 of 175
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

Without posting the ambient testing temperature of the iPads, the numbers they are posting are meaningless. Does it hit 113 degrees when the room is 40 degrees? How about if the room is 95 degrees?

The math behind this is simple, as a previous poster mentioned. The battery is twice the size, yet lasts the same amount of time. That means more energy is being dissipated over the same period of time. A fraction of the energy being dissipated is light, the rest is heat.

Now, that being said, even under normal conditions, the new iPad does seem to get conspicuously warm, whereas the original and iPad 2's would only get warm if you had them working hard. The demo loop that they have on the display models cause the new iPads to run quite warm, whereas the same demo loop running on an iPad 2 would not cause the iPad to get noticeably warmer at room temperature (about 70 degrees F)

Did you read the CR article? It clearly states:

Quote:

The ambient room temperature was about 72 degrees. (Apple recommends not using the iPad in environments over 95 degrees.)

That being said, my new iPad gets noticeably warmer than my old iPad 2, but it doesn't bother me. Meh!
  • Reply 34 of 175
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdws View Post

Are you guys trying to argue that Consumer Reports has some kind of grudge against Apple? With this latest test, they seem to be dealing in facts that better inform consumer buying decisions.

Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if you love the company and what it stands for, why would you oppose holding it to account?

Some comparison photo's with other devices, also running stress tests would be nice, you know so consumers have some idea how it fares against other devices in the same category and make an informed choice.

So I wonder why CR didn't do this?
  • Reply 35 of 175
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Cracked Displaygate

Antennagate

Locationgate

Batterygate

Heatgate

mobilemegate

Walled gardengate

Sweat shopgate

I've lost track.

White ipad2 lightbleedgate
  • Reply 36 of 175
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Cracked Displaygate

Antennagate

Locationgate

Batterygate

Heatgate

mobilemegate

Walled gardengate

Sweat shopgate

I've lost track.

Meanwhile, it's been recently reported that the ads in Android's ad subsidized apps get the same permissions as the app-- that is, once you tell an app it can have access to your info, the advertiser gets access to that info. Nary a peep. No "ad gate", no outcry, no invitations from Congress to explain themselves.

Apple may be the 800 lb. gorilla in the room, but as Android fans never get tired of reminding us, they don't dominate the phone market. Yet Google always seems to get a pass when they play fast and loose with your personal data, as a matter of course and as a matter of fundamental business philosophy, whereas people freak out if your iPhone collects cell tower info and keeps it on the phone.

It's like the attitude is "Of course Google collects and sells every fact about me. That's how they roll. So what? Wait, Apple has access to my address book??!! WTF!!!??? LAWSUIT!!!!!!!
  • Reply 37 of 175
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    What was the ambient room temperature during these tests? What was the ventilation like around the iPad?

Just played infinity blade 2 for an hour on the new iPad and it barely feels warm. Ambient temp in here is around 22 C.

Not charged it yet so no idea if it gets hot during charging but I assume that it would as my iPad 2 would warm up during charging.
  • Reply 38 of 175
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The highest unplugged temperature for the new iPad was found to be 113 degrees Fahrenheit, while plugged in it reached 116 degrees. Those temperatures were 13 degrees and 12 degrees hotter, respectively, than identical tests conducted with the iPad 2.

If true, so what?

If it get's too hot it'll switch off anyway. This might be a bit annoying, if you are just about to reach some top score. Again: So What?

CR: SIUYA !!
  • Reply 39 of 175
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I've always been told heat is a battery's enemy so now I'm interested to see battery life compared with an ipad 3 not cooled vs one that is sitting on a laptop cooler.

Maybe Apple will update iOS to allow people to control the processing power of the internal chips so it will run cooler when you're playing games that aren't hard on it.
  • Reply 40 of 175
    Remember the MHz craze where PC motherboards where equipped with powerful (and power gobbling) fans?

What's that for a fire hazard?

About a fire hazard when the iPad 3 is wrapped in a blanket.

I am sure, whenever the temperature gets too high (if it ever does), the iPad3 will just shut off.

As do most recent computing devices, because they have sensors all over the place.