Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games

Comments

• Reply 61 of 175
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdws View Post

One of the chief appeals of the iPad to me anyway is that it doesn't get hot like a laptop.

Sure, I agree that it's an appeal that the casing never feels hot the way the bottom of a notebook gets hot, but that doesn't appear to be CR's focus. They seem to still be looking for the kink in Apple's armour since they were debunked back in 2010 with the iPhone 4's antenna issue. By Jobs no less giving them a royal smack down and making fun of their testing facility.

Quote:

CR is an awesome organization that does a great job.

I can't recall any CE-based testing and reporting by CR that was better than the tech sites I visit. If I want info on a washing machine or toaster oven I'll go to CR but with CE they don't show any expertise, thoroughness or objectivity, especially in regards to Apple.
  • Reply 62 of 175
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    I blame global warming. Maybe the CO2 levels are higher inside.
  • Reply 63 of 175
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

So, has CR actually tested the temperature of other tablets? How about laptops? My Dell used to get so hot it would be extremely uncomfortable to place on your lap. If they haven't, then this is just garbage reporting/testing. ...

When the antennagate story came out I tested my HTC phone and sure enough it had the same issue BUT you only noticed in areas where the signal was nearly dead anyways. Then Apple and others tested Blackberrys, etc. and indeed many had the same "problem" but CR and others kept criticizing Apple.

The good news here is when CR cannot recommend a device it becomes the most successful of its type and has the highest degree of user satisfaction. Thank you CR.
  • Reply 64 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How to use your iPad as a weapon:

Step 1: Install and run Infinity Blade 2 ($6.99)

Step 2: Press lower-left back area of iPad against a person's skin.

Step 3: Wait several hours, hopefully thinking of more effective methods.

step 4: Profit!
  • Reply 65 of 175
    Hey conspiracy theorists,

If this was planned by Apple then where is the Apple iMitt so they can charge you another $59 just to hold your iPad.
  • Reply 66 of 175
    Apple is DOOM!

By the way, it's not atypical for the air temperature in Arizona to hit 110 or 115 in the summer... cars sitting in the sun in a parking lot in Phoenix in August are hot enough to hurt when you get back in them. When I would visit my father there I would run out and turn my car on with the AC blaring and then go back in the house for 10 minutes to cool the car off before I could drive anywhere. I think 116 degrees is not that big of a deal.
  • Reply 67 of 175
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Consumer Reports must read the tech blogs to get their ideas. Oops we screwed up we just published an article claiming the new iPad, and I quote from CR:

"The new iPad is shaping up as the best tablet yet"

Yep that is the title of their review.

http://news.consumerreports.org/elec...ablet-yet.html

They have nothing but good things to say about it. And yes, they "tested" it in their lab.

Now someone gave them the idea that they can make more money by claming the opposite in that Apple's new device has series issues. I wouldn't even take CR's advice on a toaster, which by the way I do need a new one. I bought a really expensive one and it broke down pretty soon after I got it.

Just for kicks I went back and discovered that CR gave my broken down toaster their highest recommendation. I rest my case.
  • Reply 68 of 175
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    In other news... running your car at redline will cause it to overheat. News at 11.
  • Reply 69 of 175
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Meanwhile, it's been recently reported that the ads in Android's ad subsidized apps get the same permissions as the app-- that is, once you tell an app it can have access to your info, the advertiser gets access to that info. Nary a peep. No "ad gate", no outcry, no invitations from Congress to explain themselves.

Link? That's a new one to me and pretty mind blowing if true. Not doubting you, just wanting to save myself 2 minutes of Googling to read more detailed info.

edit: Nevermind, see that it broke in the UK on the 5th. Wow. Have I been purposely not paying attention to Android articles or did this not make much of a splash in the U.S.?
  • Reply 70 of 175
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    The "problem" here is twofold. Firstly, higher power consumption (processing) = more heat generation. second, higher power draw (from battery ) = more heat generation. I suspect adding a third variable into the mix, such as simultaneous charge/discharge, may further compound the "problem." I don't know enough about the charging circuitry to really speculate on that third variable. Increased temp was one of the first things I noticed about the new iPad, but it hasn't gotten to the point of bothering me yet.
  • Reply 71 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

When the antennagate story came out I tested my HTC phone and sure enough it had the same issue BUT you only noticed in areas where the signal was nearly dead anyways. Then Apple and others tested Blackberrys, etc. and indeed many had the same "problem" but CR and others kept criticizing Apple.

The good news here is when CR cannot recommend a device it becomes the most successful of its type and has the highest degree of user satisfaction. Thank you CR.

The Apple haters like to ignore the real reason for the public outcry for "antennagate" which was the number of bars being presented on the phone. When you block the signal the dB level drops but the iPhone 4 with its ingenious design didn't have the value of each bar adjusted to be inline with the new device. That was Apple's flaw with the iPhone 4. Even AnandTech, the site that first broke the story and did the most detailed research even said...
    Quote:

The Antenna is Improved

From my day of testing, I've determined that the iPhone 4 performs much better than the 3GS in situations where signal is very low, at -113 dBm (1 bar). Previously, dropping this low all but guaranteed that calls would drop, fail to be placed, and data would no longer be transacted at all. I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use.

PS: The pendulum of life has swung toward crazy so now I assume we'll see some independent testing of how hot the older iPads get under max load while charging. It was usually cool, but it, like my iPhones, can get very warm when being charged. Eventually sanity prevails... or perhaps I'm too insane to realize it doesn't. \
  • Reply 72 of 175
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Temperature is relative. 10 degree temp diff in Fahrenheit doesn't equal 10 degree diff in Celsius or Kelvin (absolute). However, it does make it into a scandalous percentage (which means nothing).
  • Reply 73 of 175
    I for one am taking apple to court!! Just yesterday I got in my car with very short shorts mind you. I then put the iPad between my legs. And while driving around I received very serious burns on my inner thighs!!!
  • Reply 74 of 175
    Hey folks.....after 45 minutes of Infinity Blade II, take a break, get a life....I hear there is a 3D World outside with incredible Retina Graphics.
  • Reply 75 of 175
    Consumer reports is trying to stay relevant. Way back when, before actual users of the product had a chance to review and post it in the various sites, CR was the mcdaddy of reviews. Some people would not even buy something unless CR gave it a thumbs up. Well, unfortunately that's based on the criteria the CR reviewers go by. Every time I bought something based on their recommendation, I lived to regret it. They tend to recommend plain vanilla things with no style no frills and often limited features and low cost. Great if that's what you want.

I would much rather go by reviews I read from other sources that include actual users of the product. Amazon reviews are usually spot on. Consumer reports may still be important to some people, but their market is shrinking fast.
  • Reply 76 of 175
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:

CR is an awesome organization that does a great job. If that doesn't jive with Apple Marketing, so be it.

I'm thinking of applying for a job at CR. Can you pull some strings? What are the working conditions like? Management friendly? Coffee good?
  • Reply 77 of 175
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

I am confused, the iPad 2012 is a bit warmer than older version. OK, this is a weather report, not a complaint.

(snip)

Do not understand? Sounds like a fishing expedition.

After reading through the article it certainly sounds like a fishing expedition, but not on CR's part, more on all the blogs that are picking it up and running as if it's more than it is. The article says it runs a little warmer. Everywhere else I've seen the article referenced it's used in a screaming, scandalous, headline grabbing context, and then you click to the article and it's this little 200 word thing with no exclamation points that basically says it runs a little warmer. The article looks fine. The section here on AI less so.
  • Reply 78 of 175
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

It can't hurt to know the facts about the device. One of the chief appeals of the iPad to me anyway is that it doesn't get hot like a laptop. It's not "silly." If you don't like the information, don't read it.

You're not understanding my point about absolute power. I was referring to power in the marketplace. I think Apple is great, but constantly cheerleading everything it does and railing against any criticism is not going to help the organization. The number one problem Apple faces going forward is getting too full of itself. And regardless it doesn't matter -- consumers want information and they will get it. CR is an awesome organization that does a great job. If that doesn't jive with Apple Marketing, so be it.

Yeah, but see, I think this is all nonsense. If you haven't noticed, Apple comes into a great deal of criticism, about pretty much every choice it makes, all the time. The idea that "the number one problem Apple faces going forward is getting too full of itself", and that therefore any criticism, no matter how spurious, is a needed corrective, is daft.

The number one problem Apple faces going forward is to continue to engineer highly desirable products. To the extend that they make mistakes (which they have been doing all along, if you haven't noticed) they need to be corrected.

Breathless breaking news investigative reports on something as transient as the usual spate of complaints that great each and every Apple product release isn't going to keep Apple honest, and it isn't going to give me any useful information. If iPads start combusting in any significant numbers, or if we see a pattern of premature failure, or if people start getting corrupted data off their iCloud feeds, then yes, by all means, I want to know about that. "iPad gets warmer but not uncomfortably so when running the GPU full out"? That's not a news story, it's click bait.

And I have to say I'm getting fucking sick of the logical fallacy of "if it reflects poorly on Apple it must be brave truth in the face of fan boys and the relentless Apple machine." It's lazy thinking. And it's "jibe", not "Jive."
  • Reply 79 of 175
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hey conspiracy theorists,

If this was planned by Apple the where is the Apple iMitt so they can charge you another $59 just to hold your iPad.

That's awesome!
  • Reply 80 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Consumer reports is trying to stay relevant. Way back when, before actual users of the product had a chance to review and post it in the various sites, CR was the mcdaddy of reviews. Some people would not even buy something unless CR gave it a thumbs up. Well, unfortunately that's based on the criteria the CR reviewers go by. Every time I bought something based on their recommendation, I lived to regret it. They tend to recommend plain vanilla things with no style no frills and often limited features and low cost. Great if that's what you want.

I would much rather go by reviewes I read from other sources that include actual users of the product. Amazon reviews are usually spot on. Consumer reports may still be important to some people, but their market is shrinking fast.

You make some great points.