Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games

Comments

• Reply 81 of 175
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Consumer reports is trying to stay relevant. Way back when, before actual users of the product had a chance to review and post it in the various sites, CR was the mcdaddy of reviews. Some people would not even buy something unless CR gave it a thumbs up. Well, unfortunately that's based on the criteria the CR reviewers go by. Every time I bought something based on their recommendation, I lived to regret it. They tend to recommend plain vanilla things with no style no frills and often limited features and low cost. Great if that's what you want.

I would much rather go by reviewes I read from other sources that include actual users of the product. Amazon reviews are usually spot on. Consumer reports may still be important to some people, but their market is shrinking fast.

Everything these days in link bait.

Which headline is going to get the clicks?

"New iPad is the best one ever!" Hmm, you can put that right next to "Sun to rise again tomorrow".

Wait, how about "New iPad overheating problem: what you need to know"... yeah, that's more clickable.

Negative and contrarian opinions are what gets clicked, regardless of the source. It says a lot about our society. This is why extremists (regardless of political or religious orientation) get airtime or clicks. Try getting attention writing a blog expressing the views of a normal person. Have fun.
  • Reply 82 of 175
    Thanks for the great articles at Apple Insider!

I used some of the info as reference points for an article i just did on my blog.

http://www.peaceloveapplepie.com/the-new-ipad/

- Peace :-)
  • Reply 83 of 175
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    There's fewer and fewer links I click on, if only because so many of them are "Top Ten Reasons You Will Be Startled By Counterintuitive Stuff We Just Made Up." And then each "reason" is given it's own frame, and you have to click through 10 times to see them all. It appears that at least half the internet is comprised of sites that are purely click whores, with little to no content, and what writing there is having been done on spec for a penny a word by some internet click whore "earn big bucks in your free time" content mill.

I check MacSurfer pretty regularly, but whereas at one time I would have clicked through to skim a few dozen articles, nowadays I rarely check out more than a few. The rest are just transparently bullshit, even from the link title.
  • Reply 84 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hey conspiracy theorists,

If this was planned by Apple the where is the Apple iMitt so they can charge you another $59 just to hold your iPad.

Best reply of the day....10 points for Gryffindor!
  • Reply 85 of 175
    Yep, CR caters to the mythical Mr. Joe Vanilla.

Quote:

Consumer reports is trying to stay relevant. Way back when, before actual users of the product had a chance to review and post it in the various sites, CR was the mcdaddy of reviews. Some people would not even buy something unless CR gave it a thumbs up. Well, unfortunately that's based on the criteria the CR reviewers go by. Every time I bought something based on their recommendation, I lived to regret it. They tend to recommend plain vanilla things with no style no frills and often limited features and low cost. Great if that's what you want.

I would much rather go by reviews I read from other sources that include actual users of the product. Amazon reviews are usually spot on. Consumer reports may still be important to some people, but their market is shrinking fast.

• Reply 86 of 175
    kjacobikjacobi Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think CR figures (like many a tech web site) that "bad stuff about Apple" is a proven eyeball deliverer. That's not a grudge, that's just cynical expedience. Which is unfortunate, because CR used to have a reputation for being pretty dispassionate.

But "opening an investigation" into something as silly as "new iPad gets a little warmer"? That's pandering, straight up. A real turnoff.

And "absolute power corrupts absolutely"? What? Are you saying Apple has decided to deliver iPads that seer your flesh and now intends to cover that fact up with evil mind control, so CR to the rescue? What does somewhat warmer have to do with corruption?

Nice!
  • Reply 87 of 175
    +1

I would add that link baits are there for the sake of ad sponsors and the illusion of high volume traffic resulting into consumer purchases.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Everything these days in link bait.

• Reply 88 of 175
    I'm starting a class action lawsuit demanding for OveGloves to be bundled with the new iPad
  • Reply 89 of 175
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I would much rather go by reviews I read from other sources that include actual users of the product. Amazon reviews are usually spot on. Consumer reports may still be important to some people, but their market is shrinking fast.

There's a kind of cats and dogs things with CR and Apple, as well. CR has always had this "no frills, no bullshit, no bells and whistles you don't need and shouldn't pay for" bias. That works for dishwashers and car insurance, but when it comes to a company like Apple it means you have to pretend like the "whole widget" deal, wherein the quality of the entire experience is what's on offer, is beside the point. If you can't review Apple's products as an experience, and instead are obliged to focus on specs, price, and silly little gotchas, then you're are going to miss the point.

And no, "experience" is not some touchy-feely fanboy fantasy. It matters, particularly in a touch device, what the whole things feels like. How all the parts interact, how the software and hardware work together, what the buying experience and post-pruchase support are like. CR isn't really equipped to take those things into accounts, and anyway would find the very idea anathema.
  • Reply 90 of 175
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Temperature is relative. 10 degree temp diff in Fahrenheit doesn't equal 10 degree diff in Celsius or Kelvin (absolute). However, it does make it into a scandalous percentage (which means nothing).

It doesn't mean much, but it's interesting to see how badly everyone is messing up the science of temperature.

Let's assume that the old one is 90 degrees F and the new one is 100 degrees F. How much increase is that?

One argument is that it's a 12.5% increase ((90-80)/80)

Others convert to Celsius and claim it's a 21% increase ((32.222-26.667)/26.667).

Still others claim it's a 1.8% increase (converting to absolute temperatures).

In reality, it's about a 100% increase. iPad 2 raises temperature from 70 degrees to 80 degrees (10 degree increase). iPad 3 increase temperature from 70 degrees to 90 degrees (20 degree increase).

(Of course, that's simplified since heat loss is temperature dependent, but it's close enough).

/science lesson
  • Reply 91 of 175
    Quote:

There's a kind of cats and dogs things with CR and Apple, as well. CR has always had this "no frills, no bullshit, no bells and whistles you don't need and shouldn't pay for" bias. That works for dishwashers and car insurance, but when it comes to a company like Apple it means you have to pretend like the "whole widget" deal, wherein the quality of the entire experience is what's on offer, is beside the point. If you can't review Apple's products as an experience, and instead are obliged to focus on specs, price, and silly little gotchas, then you're are going to miss the point.

And no, "experience" is not some touchy-feely fanboy fantasy. It matters, particularly in a touch device, what the whole things feels like. How all the parts interact, how the software and hardware work together, what the buying experience and post-pruchase support are like. CR isn't really equipped to take those things into accounts, and anyway would find the very idea anathema.

Yea, due to their review I got this butt-ugly graco car seat to save a few bucks. My friends spent a few more bucks and got a sturdier and very good looking Italian one that they said was not that great. Looking at both baby pictures now I regret going with CR.
  • Reply 92 of 175
    sunsun Posts: 5member
    Got mine on Friday, 32GB LTE AT&T model, and have been running games on it with no heat problems at all. Runs maybe slightly warmer than my iPad 2, but I can't really tell when using them both at the same time if the new iPad runs warmer or not--if it does, it's a slight difference and certainly not bothering us.

Must say the screen is killer! For me, the Retina screen was totally worth the upgrade from the 2, and dictation is pretty handy also. It's slightly heavier but, again, I feel the trade off was worth it and I've been using it 8 hour days. It's faster, easier on the eyes, and does what I need it to...

Consumer Reports seems to be an increasingly misguided publication.
  • Reply 93 of 175
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

Of course with my luck the silly thing blows up.

If you are speaking about the possibility of the new iPad blowing up, then please do not hold your breath.

If you mean will this new "information" possibly launch a HeaterGate witch hunt, then you are already too late. Just scroll through some of the comments here. The farce is strong in these Apple Haters, yes it is.
  • Reply 94 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It doesn't mean much, but it's interesting to see how badly everyone is messing up the science of temperature.

Let's assume that the old one is 90 degrees F and the new one is 100 degrees F. How much increase is that?

One argument is that it's a 12.5% increase ((90-80)/80)

Others convert to Celsius and claim it's a 21% increase ((32.222-26.667)/26.667).

Still others claim it's a 1.8% increase (converting to absolute temperatures).

In reality, it's about a 100% increase. iPad 2 raises temperature from 70 degrees to 80 degrees (10 degree increase). iPad 3 increase temperature from 70 degrees to 90 degrees (20 degree increase).

(Of course, that's simplified since heat loss is temperature dependent, but it's close enough).

/science lesson

No offence, but this is not science.

I don't know where you are getting these figures from as your explanation is kind of sketchy, but if they are correct all you seem to have proven is that the temperature increase from iPad 2 to iPad 3 is 100% greater than the original temperature increase from iPad 1 to iPad 2. That's almost meaningless (even if true) and doesn't address the issue of whether or not the iPad 3 currently "overheats."

If that's *not* what you are arguing, then what you are saying is even more confusing than I thought and thus unlikely to end the debate.
  • Reply 95 of 175
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Sounds like CR bullshit.

Just like "antenna-gate." Which for most users, barely meant anything at all.
  • Reply 96 of 175
    Quote:

Oh dear God no.

• Reply 97 of 175
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    113 degrees F is 45 degrees C which is the upper limit of the suggested non operating temperature on the iPad page.
  • Reply 98 of 175
    afrodriafrodri Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Newer computers actually run cooler due to process change and require less voltage.

nehalem < Sandybridge < ivybridge

There is more to a computer than the processor. Apple increased the DRAM, the display, and the battery, so the device as a whole (the computer) dissipates more power, even if some individual components consume less power.
  • Reply 99 of 175
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    It's just your typical sensationalist reporting. AI chooses to fan the flames by using the linkbait headline that CR is using.

The 116 is the peak temperature at the A5X location on the back of the iPad. There'll be a temperature gradient from there out to the rest of the device where the surface temperature will be in the 80s and 90s.

When it says 116° F in the story title, one naturally assumes the whole device is at that temperature. Obviously not the case. It'll generally be in the high 80s and low 90s for most of the back surface. If you always has your hand on the 116° spot, it'll probably feel a little too warm. Everywhere else, it'll be ok.

As for being unable charge at while doing something intensive, yes, that can happen. It's only a 10 W charger. The device can draw 9 to 10 Watts while doing something computationally intensive with the screen at a high brightness setting. You can set the brightness to 50% and it will likely charge with the wall charger.

The high power USB port on Macs (8 Watts) can probably manage charging it while it is being used, but it'll hit 8 Watts while doing things little less computationally intensive than max. Turn the brightness down a little bit. 25-40%.
  • Reply 100 of 175
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Sounds like CR bullshit.

Just like "antenna-gate." Which for most users, barely meant anything at all.

I haven't seen this mentioned but....These are mini Plasmas/LCDs in our hands people. Have you EVER *touched* you HD TV EVER?.. Guess what... They are burning hot, at least Plasmas and LCD.

Follow that with them literally encased in metal and voila you have conductive heat coupled with the processors when pushed. Whose iMac doesn't fell HOT in the back? Whose iMacs don't shut down when running FCP and editing for several hours?....

I mean it's a trade off people. I'm quite sure if Apple cudda put a LCD is previous iPads they would have. Just like everything in life future models will run cooler and longer. Doh