iPad growth accelerates to 156%, tablet sales to 'measurably' exceed PCs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Well the article is about surpassing PC sales in this whole so called 'post PC' era, which I never understood anyway, but I digress.

I'm just saying that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what is happening. It's not that people are selling their computers to replace them with iPads and do everything that they used to do with their computers on them. They buy iPads as a second or third device to do *most* of what they do with their computer. Meanwhile the need to upgrade their computer has diminished considerably and *if* they feel the need to upgrade it might be that the iPad has got them interested in buying a Mac instead?

But I may be wrong and in a years time PC desktop and laptop sales (ex Apple) is once again showing 20% growth numbers YoY. But what is going to fuel that growth really escapes me. Faster, cheaper? That's a business model that does not seem to work anymore...
  • Reply 42 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post

I'm just saying that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what is happening. It's not that people are selling their computers to replace them with iPads and do everything that they used to do with their computers on them. They buy iPads as a second or third device to do *most* of what they do with their computer. Meanwhile the need to upgrade their computer has diminished considerably and *if* they feel the need to upgrade it might be that the iPad has got them interested in buying a Mac instead?

But I may be wrong and in a years time PC desktop and laptop sales (ex Apple) is once again showing 20% growth numbers YoY. But what is going to fuel that growth really escapes me. Faster, cheaper? That's a business model that does not seem to work anymore...

I think you are pretty much on the mark. I'd add that Apple is also raising the bar in many areas of design and build quality and screens and the PC world (and clone iPads world) is having a hard time matching that on price given Apple's innovation speed and buying power these days. Meanwhile Apple does all that and has margins PCs and tablet clone makers can only dream of.

Some one else here commented the other day, imagine their sales if Apple, who could easily afford to do this, dropped their margins to those of their competition. If only for a few months ... Imagine the debacle there would be out the in the tech World.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just face it. The iPad is the future, and it's here now. Anybody who disagrees is a caveman.

Here is a bit of recent history... When after launch 'The People' apparently, were less than impressed with the iPad and the AI pundits chipped in with their 'wisdom'. On that note, please check out the last post on the first page. It is from yours truly - I won't say it but really, I told you/everyone so

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=106965
  • Reply 44 of 72
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Here is a bit of recent history... When after launch 'The People' apparently, were less than impressed with the iPad and the AI pundits chipped in with their 'wisdom'. On that note, please check out the last post on the first page. It is from yours truly - I won't say it but really, I told you/everyone so

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=106965

FYI: If you click the hyperlinked number in the upper right corner of your post, in this case being #40, it will take you to your specific post separating out all other posts from the thread.. If you then click the hyperlink in the upper right of the page it will take you to your post within the thread (unless there is a formatting bug due to sending a user to Global Ignore).
  • Reply 45 of 72
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So true, it is like another world now.

I switch between my MBP and iPad 2 all the time depending on what I'm doing and where I am. I have to confess when on my MBP I find myself more and more, just for a second, starting to go for apps ... like my iPad's Itellicast app for weather for example and having to stop and think for a split second (in a tiny moment of confusion) and then remember on the Mac I use Safari to go to a web site ...

The app paradigm for so many things is so much more convenient!

Well, THAT is a huge cause for concern. Let me enlarge the problematic part:

Quote:

on the [computer] I use Safari to go to a web site ...

The app paradigm for so many things is so much more convenient!

App world --> walled garden.

Web --> free and open.

I certainly hope people don't react as you do, because if they do, 10 years from now, we will have a huge problem with walled in content.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Web --> free and open.

I certainly hope people don't react as you do, because if they do, 10 years from now, we will have a huge problem with walled in content.

On the contrary. Without silly text manipulation ... The Internet is more the the web and there is no need to limit yourself to the web.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just face it. The iPad is the future, and it's here now. Anybody who disagrees is a caveman.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Anyone who disagrees, please grunt!

Willy Ugh-Ugh here... Spot on...

The manifest persiflage of your discourse surfeits the discomfiture of disparagement!

• Reply 48 of 72
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

FYI: If you click the hyperlinked number in the upper right corner of your post, in this case being #40, it will take you to your specific post separating out all other posts from the thread.. If you then click the hyperlink in the upper right of the page it will take you to your post within the thread (unless there is a formatting bug due to sending a user to Global Ignore).

Yeah, well, OK... I didn't really mean to draw THAT much attention to myself. It was really the thread that was interesting because of what people said about that 'new fangled oversized iPod Touch'. There were quite a few people that just couldn't see it, who I suspect have changed their tune. Which is fine, but it made me chuckle.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Web --> free and open.

Rather than a walled garden, Apple provides a portal to safe harbor!
  • Reply 50 of 72
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] Separately, analyst Mark Moskowitz with J.P. Morgan called the new iPad launch "staggering," and in position to see "break-out growth" following the record breaking weekend. [...]

I'm sure we'll all be staggered again when "the new iPhone" is launched later this year. Can't wait.

And I think Apple may have reached an internal milestone with the new iPad. From now on, Apple doesn't need to increase screen resolution, obviously. So the major customer-facing component, the touch screen panel, has reached a plateau in terms of specs. Apple now only needs to incrementally improve iPad's components, and probably doesn't need to change the hardware layout much for future iPads.

Of course, occasionally there will be all-new technology such as IGZO LCD screens, then OLED screens, then quad-core processors, smaller batteries, possible LiquidMetal enclosure, etc. But those improvements probably won't require much change to the hardware layout and assembly process. It's almost like the Mac lines. Now that the iMac, for example, is an all-in-one design, Apple only needs to change details like thickness, bezel width, etc. Just gradual improvements to the esthetics and gradual reductions in component and manufacturing costs. (Although I have read here and elsewhere that there will be higher-resolution screens coming soon...)
  • Reply 51 of 72
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Rather than a walled garden, Apple provides a portal to safe harbor!

However he does have a point. A browser is ubiquitous and you can email a link to a page on the web. You can't really email someone a link to a page in an app.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

However he does have a point. A browser is ubiquitous and you can email a link to a page on the web. You can't really email someone a link to a page in an app.

That is true...

But, in the early days of the Internet (which I missed), the browser wasn't ubiquitous (didn't even exist). Today, the browser is an app on the desktop or mobile device.

Who's to say that you won't be able to invoke an app with an email link -- in the near future.

A primitive example of this is: send an email with photo or video attachments to an iDevice. You can [manually] save these "media files" to your camera roll.

It is not too much of a leap in faith (or application technology) to think that the email app could:

1) recognize the URL (already does that)

2) examine or traverse the link to determine the file type (html, jpg, txt, etc.)

3) invoke the [designated] target app and pass the link (iOS has constructs that allow apps to do this).

Then, take it to the next level -- email, or whatever, that contains only content or links, is recognized by the cloud server and it sends a push notification to the designated app on target devices along with the links... eliminating the email step (on the device) altogether.

At the very least, we have saved the user one step: the app (or browser) is run and it opens the link directly -- as opposed to: 1) opening the email; 2) clicking the link which opens the browser and the link.

With the proper defaults and option settings -- this seems like a no-brainer convenience for the user.

• Reply 53 of 72
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

Well explained ... however, it's seemingly more 'post' for PCs than Macs (I use the term PC to mean a Wintel Box) looking at the trends.

Oh, I agree

PCs aren't disappearing, but I do see their role as greatly diminished.

As for MS "crippling" the Office experience on the iPad - they had better be careful! Millions of people are discovering they dont *have* to have Office today. That loss of mindshare could be disasterous...
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Comparing Open Office to Office is akin to Android Tablets to the iPad.

You may laugh, but how valid is the assumption you "have to" have Office?

If MS thinks they are going to be able to treat the iPad as a second class citizen in order to push Windows tablets, I hope they realize the dangerous game they are playing. This isn't the 90's with top down IT that established them in business the first go around....
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

I highly doubt Apple will come out with iTunes for a Microsoft tablet

iTunes? For non-ARM why not? App store? Heck no!
  • Reply 56 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I still think the iPad is to big to be considered really portable.

I think your in the vast minority with that POV!
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Oh, I agree

PCs aren't disappearing, but I do see their role as greatly diminished.

As for MS "crippling" he Office experience on the iPad - they had better be careful! Millions of people are discovering they dont *have* to have Office today. That loss of mindshare could be disasterous...

Totally agree!

I was fortunate to have a foot in the maimframe world when personal computers arrived on the scene -- I worked for IBM as a Systems Engineer/Headquarters Market Support rep -- when I bought my Apple ][ in July 1978. By December of that year, two partners and myself opened the 5th computer store in Silicon Valley. I kept my IBM job until 1980 when I dedicated full time at the store.

By that time, personal computers were making inroads into business... IMO, there were several principal catalysts:

1) VisiCalc (and all the spread sheets that followed)

2) Local Area Networks with shared HDDs, printers

3) Cost/opportunity tradeoffs between maimframe and personal computer solutions

An example of the latter is where a department of a large company wanted to do a marketing analysis for a planned new product. They could either:

1) Submit a proposal to the Data Processing Department (think IT), and get top management approval, to implement a mainframe solution. There was a typical backlog of 18-24 months to get a solution approved and implemented -- and typical costs of tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.

2) Spend, say $5,000-$10,000, on a personal computer solution (hardware and software) that began satisfying custom needs within days of purchase.

That $5,000 is an interesting number -- it could buy VisiCalc ($79) and a couple of loaded Apple ][s or an Apple ][ and a printer...

But, especially important because almost any department manager, at that time, could sign off on a $5,000 purchase without any approval required from upper management.

For the department doing a time-sensitive market analysis, the decision was a no-brainer -- they couldn't afford the tens of thousands of $ -- let alone get top management approval to wait 2 years to do their analysis... they would have lost the opportunity.

So, as personal-computer solutions entered business through the side door, they began to offload the need for some maimframe solutions.

Over time, many decisions to buy or upgrade the maimframe computers diminished -- because the personal computer offered a better solution to some needs -- less expensive, more customizable, more timely and responsive to changing conditions in the "business' environment".

The maimframes didn't go away overnight -- their position was gradually usurped by the personal computers -- which were then centralized under IT which evolved to a moated castle in its own right (just as DP had done with the maimframe before it).

So here we are... in an accelerated time warp! The post-pc device has more raw power and capability than the mainframe of its day -- yet lacks some of it's sophisticated solutions.

The personal computer usurped the maimframe because it was "good enough to get the job done" and more timely, cost effective... yadda, yadda, yadda...

That mantle is now being passed to the iPad!

Argue if you will... but the post-pc device is the future... until the next disruptive evolution.

• Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:

Separately, analyst Mark Moskowitz with J.P. Morgan called the new iPad launch "staggering," and in position to see "break-out growth" following the record breaking weekend.

Meanwhile some analyst were disappointed in the new iPad's sales. Such is how some analyst distort things to match their pre-conceived notions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

What goes around comes around. There's an article over at c|net wondering whether Apple will produce an iTunes app for Windows 8 (PC and Mobile) and how the lack of iTunes may have a negative impact on Microsoft tablet sales. This could be a bargaining tool to get Office on the iPad.

First, iTunes is available for Windows 7 and likely will still work on Windows 8 desktops and Laptops. So getting iTunes to work on Windows 8 phones and tablets would be what Apple will need to address. I can easily imagine Apple releasing such an app because they want the potential revenue in music and media sales. Designing for WM8 is doable due to Microsoft's specifications for hardware, which is another reason for Apple to not make iTunes for Android.

Microsoft is still planning on making their own music and media store, so iTunes might not be much of a bargaining tool with MS.

However, with tens of millions of iPads in customer's hands Microsoft might want to get Office on the iPad to avoid iWork from gaining too many Enterprise clients from adopting it as a "better then nothing" tool set. If Apple were to threaten to upgrade iWork to deliver an improved Pages experience, that might suck some air out of MS Word. Add the dictation feature to Pages on an iPad and only "Numbers" is left to be brought up to Excel par and Apple could steal the ball from MS.

Apple has a knack of coming out of nowhere and disrupting a market. Microsoft has no presence currently in the smartphone and tablet market, Apple could hurt Office's dominance in 2012 with the right iWork product improvements concurrent with a PC version release.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I've been thinking about buying the Galaxy Note. How do you find it? I like the way it neatly fits into a jacket pocket and Apple just doesn't make anything in that space at the moment otherwise I would have bought it. I could wait forever for Apple to make something like this. How do you transfer docs/notes between it and your Mac? When I asked in the store they said you can't upgrade the OS so I've been waiting for it to come with 4.0. I use Evernote and Dropbox to avoid moving files around all the time. Do you know how it works with them?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I've been thinking about buying the Galaxy Note. How do you find it? I like the way it neatly fits into a jacket pocket and Apple just doesn't make anything in that space at the moment otherwise I would have bought it. I could wait forever for Apple to make something like this. How do you transfer docs/notes between it and your Mac? When I asked in the store they said you can't upgrade the OS so I've been waiting for it to come with 4.0. I use Evernote and Dropbox to avoid moving files around all the time. Do you know how it works with them?

When I first got it I was a little overwhelmed by the size as I'm a female and not the biggest person in the room. After having it though for nearly 3 months now I can't imagine living without it. I got it threw work when they replaced our Blackberry's. I really liked the Blackberry and I had swore I would never own another business phone without a keyboard. Well when a company is flipping the bill your not going to be doing much complaing but fter a few days I didn't miss the keyboard one bit.

Ok, so first the upgrade situation , Android 4.03 should be out in a few weeks. Samsung just released it for the Galaxy II and they've said that the Note is next. Yes you will be able to update it with OTA or by downloading the update and using Samsungs sync program. Now I already have Android 4.03 in a dual boot configuration. I need the original system for work, it's a semi customized system with security and E-Mail programs. You can do the same thing very easily by going to XDA. There are many custom roms that can be downloaded or just wait for the Samsung update. You will be able to update the Note yourself, 100%.

The Samsung Note comes with a program for updating and syncing files called Kries, it's a decent program and it also has syncing over wifi. It will also automaticly sync your phone when it's connected to your home network, so you will never have to deal with it, it's all in the background. The Note also mounts itself as a normal drive when plugged into your Mac via USB so copying things like music, movies, pdf's, whatever, it's very simple if you know how to drag and drop. Since the Note also has a real filemanger managing files is a breeze as well as house keeping. You can even zip whole directories for backup, mount your home server as a folder and pretty much anything you can do on your full size Mac. I use it mostly with my Macbook Air 11". Now you can sync your appointments and any other calendar dates with iCal but I prefer using Outlook as I need it for work.

The Note is also an incredible phone for watching movies or TV shows. Out of the box you can play pretty much every codec there is. Oh yea the pen, that's a fantastic feature. Your an Evernote user as am I, great program for note taking. The pen allows you to now jot down your notes with the pen really quickly instead of typing. Then you can sync with Evernote. I have now replaced my notebook and pencil. It's also an invaluable asset when talking on the phone. Oh and one more thing that I've started doing, filling out PDF's, you know how you can download forms off fhe internet then print them out to fill out with ink. Well I fill them out now with the Note and simply attach them to a email, really great. You can also mark up photos, maps, docs the list go's on and on. You'll love it, I think Steve Jobs once said the pen is dead, sorry but I beg to defer, when packaged like this I have to wonder all phones don't have one.

Every application I have for my iPhone is also on my Note, everyone and there were alot. So you won't missing anything. The battery is 2500mAh and it will last you all day with hard use. You can also find a 3000mAh batteries now that fit in the same bay and there actually cheaper then the Samsung ones. The Note also has one the most fantastic screens I have ever seen on a moble phone, 1280 x 800 SAMOLED+ . The iPhone 4S screen is of course awsome but I want a bigger screen now.

I can't recommend the Galaxy Note enough, it is the best business phone on the market. I didn't say best personal phone because that crown still goes to the iPhone 4S and my white Nokia N9 64GB(sorry but I just love that phone, something about having Debian in my pocket).

Anyway, please don't listen to the negative feedback that will surely follow this post, I rarely give a 100% satisfaction thumbs up, this device gets it in spades. Oh and sorry guys for the long post, I'm stuck in a hospital bed so I get a little overboard.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and then you won't have to come back to this board. You can start your bullshit over on the Win 8 forum.

Oh wow, I'm so sorry if I've been a pain I don't mean it. I do get a little overboard sometimes. I just like technology so much and not just from Apple. I hear a lot of hatred towards Android and the manufactures who support that OS. So when I hear things like what idiot in there right mind would ever by such a product, well me, I'm that idiot and it's kind of offensive because it is not junk. Sure it's not an Apple but it's not junk.

Look I've had an Apple in my life since I was 7 years old, I still had an Apple when Steve Jobs left Apple, I continued having an Apple threw the transitional period of going from CISC to RISC, I was one of the first in line to buy a Newton and the last one, I was even with Apple when they were trading at 8 dollars and there were talks of bankruptcy and I was especially there when Apple made its triumphel return with one particular multi colored bondi iMac.

So I am the original Apple fangirl, more so then a lot of people on this board who just became aware of Apple by buying an iPad or iPhone one day from there local Apple store.

All that being said though I am also a big, big fan of open source technology. As a programmer myself it's only natural that I would be fascinated with an OS like Android. It's an incredible OS, powerfull, fast, extremely easy to program for and the development community for Android are some of the best people I have ever met.

As for the devices that run Android. I made my stance clear. You will find great products from everyone Samsung Galaxy 7.7, 12 hour battery, awesome screen, Toshiba AT200, thinnest tablet ever, Motorolla Xoom 2, digitizer pen and now waterproof, Asus Padfone, 24 hour battery, 3 in one device, B&N Nook, hack me please.

Again I'm really sorry for being such a pain in the ass. I will be more conservative in the future.