Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games

Comments

• Reply 101 of 175

That sure does look HOT! Damn! It gets that way from playing video games?
  • Reply 102 of 175
    afrodriafrodri Posts: 190member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Sounds like CR bullshit.

I'm a little confused as the anger directed at CR for this article. All they did was point out that the new iPad gets warmer than the iPad 2 (something which others have reported and which is really not surprising) and they specifically said :

Quote:

"The new iPad is shaping up as the best tablet yet"

and

Quote:

it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable

Why is everyone getting defensive?

They said it is warmer, but that's not a big deal, and overall it is a great device. This is bad?
  • Reply 103 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdws View Post

... Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if you love the company and what it stands for, why would you oppose holding it to account?

The same could be said of Consumer Reports itself who for many years has been the pre-eminent source for information on new products.

Personally, I think it's very sad. In my youth, Consumer Reports, like Greenpeace was a very reputable and fair source of information. Both emphasised the empowerment of the people, fought corporate attempts to define the playing field and helped the public to make wiser choices about their consumption and the trade-offs we make for our modern lifestyle.

Both are now a bad joke IMO, have sold out to corporate/marketing interests, and neither seems to have any interest in the truth.
  • Reply 104 of 175
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Is everyone on AI so mentally feeble that they don't understand that a bigger battery takes longer to charge? There is no mystery here guys, no investigation is required just a grade school understanding of science. I'm beginning to believe everybody on this forum is a leftist member of the global warming crowd, who never bothered to listen up in science class.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anon7979 View Post

I'd like to see some investigation into the charging time of the iPad 3. Apple significantly increased the capacity of the battery, but they packed in the same ol' 10w charger from the previous two generations. My unscientific test is showing it taking approximately 7 full hours to charge from 1% (the point at which the iPad automatically shuts itself down) to 100%.

Given the USB nature of the interface they really can't offer a bigger charger.
  • Reply 105 of 175
    It's like comparing the temprature of laptop running dual core with low end internal gfx to laptop running dual core with using descrete gfx that support HD resolutions. Running the same game application.
  • Reply 106 of 175
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    That's nothing, my MBP running Flash gets to 660.32 °C and the aluminum starts melting.
  • Reply 107 of 175
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sun View Post

Got mine on Friday, 32GB LTE AT&T model, and have been running games on it with no heat problems at all. Runs maybe slightly warmer than my iPad 2, but nothing really noticeable.

Must say the screen is killer! For me, the Retina screen was totally worth the upgrade from the 2, and dictation is pretty handy also. It's slightly heavier but, again, I feel the trade off was worth it and I've been using it 8 hour days. It's faster, easier on the eyes, and does what I need it to...

Consumer Reports seems to be an increasingly misguided publication.

That doesn't make any sense. It's really noticeable because you noticed it.
  • Reply 108 of 175
    Grudge, maybe not but they certainly have a mental preoccupation for the company. More importantly they latch onto any negativity with respect to the company that they can exploit for their own gain.

Quote:

Are you guys trying to argue that Consumer Reports has some kind of grudge against Apple? With this latest test, they seem to be dealing in facts that better inform consumer buying decisions.

I'm in no way as negative on Consumer Reports as some in this forum but they are not working in the consumers best interest if they start making mountains out of molehills. Beyond that you can see by reading this thread most consumers are too stupid to evaluate what Consumer Reports is saying.

Quote:

Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if you love the company and what it stands for, why would you oppose holding it to account?

To account for what? I've yet to even have my iPad get hot at all. Keep the screen brightness dialed down and you won't see heating issues.

The reality is if you want to bring state of the art performance, in this case the new display you have to accept that you may have to compromise on other issues. In this case they had to significant enhance the backlighting to overcome the small pixels and increase overall color quality. More LEDs means more power.

Again their is nothing to account for, the iPad delivers what they advertise, they hide nothing.
  • Reply 109 of 175
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apologies, a problem never existed? with the phone. I'm certain that AT&T's network is absolute trash. Apple shouldn't have to cover for that.

Because Verizon support was added, necessitating a physical change to the device. That isn't an argument in any way, shape, or form.

Why did adding VZW necessitate a change in design? Is the VZW iPhone 4S different from ATTs on the outside? No. That was all an excuse to change/fix the design. They didn't do it for the ATT version because it would've been an admission of a flaw.
  • Reply 110 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

That sure does look HOT! Damn! It gets that way from playing video games?

That's not Brooklyn hot, that's more like Africa hot.
  • Reply 111 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The testing also found that the iPad wouldn't recharge its battery while the game was running and it was plugged in. Instead, the battery continued to drain, suggesting the power draw of the new A5X processor was too great for the iPad's USB connection to overcome during heavy use.

That could be the case, but if it really is experiencing heat issues it might only trickle charge the battery so it doesn't overheat.
  • Reply 112 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hey conspiracy theorists,

If this was planned by Apple then where is the Apple iMitt so they can charge you another $59 just to hold your iPad.

Instant classic lol. +116 or whatever temperature your new iPad is currently running at.
  • Reply 113 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Some comparison photo's with other devices, also running stress tests would be nice, you know so consumers have some idea how it fares against other devices in the same category and make an informed choice.

So I wonder why CR didn't do this?

Because the report isn't about protecting consumers, it is about the promotion of Consumer Reports. Again I'm not totally negative on Consumer Reports but I take this kind of reporting as them getting a bit sleazy just for publicity. Really thing about it when have they considered case temperature to be an issue on Laptops or cell phones. If they had been tracking this issue for some time it would be one thing, but this out of the blue test is nothing but exploitation.
  • Reply 114 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I've always been told heat is a battery's enemy so now I'm interested to see battery life compared with an ipad 3 not cooled vs one that is sitting on a laptop cooler.

Maybe Apple will update iOS to allow people to control the processing power of the internal chips so it will run cooler when you're playing games that aren't hard on it.

Seriously I've been using my iPad since Friday, doing all sorts of things and have not had a single case of the iPad getting too hot.
  • Reply 115 of 175
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    It runs as hot as Apple stock?

But seriously, it would be a big problem if the temperature ran above 100° ... Celsius.

46° Celsius is laughable low after playing a game for 45 minutes, you should touch an Xbox or laptop after that.

J.
  • Reply 116 of 175
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    "Heatgate" here we come. Did you really expect anything different? Now come the YouTube videos of people dropping their iPads because they're too hot to hold. Snarky comments about "holding it wrong" and "frying eggs" abound already in tech forums. Another mole hill turned into a mountain. Let's see how Tim Cook handles this "epic fail" which will surely be declared by some pundit or blogger.
  • Reply 117 of 175
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"Heatgate" here we come. Did you really expect anything different? Now come the YouTube videos of people dropping their iPads because they're too hot to hold. Snarky comments about "holding it wrong" and "frying eggs" abound already in tech forums. Another mole hill turned into a mountain. Let's see how Tim Cook handles this "epic fail" which will surely be declared by some pundit or blogger.

Record sales will continue, though.
  • Reply 118 of 175
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No offence, but this is not science.

I don't know where you are getting these figures from as your explanation is kind of sketchy, but if they are correct all you seem to have proven is that the temperature increase from iPad 2 to iPad 3 is 100% greater than the original temperature increase from iPad 1 to iPad 2. That's almost meaningless (even if true) and doesn't address the issue of whether or not the iPad 3 currently "overheats."

If that's *not* what you are arguing, then what you are saying is even more confusing than I thought and thus unlikely to end the debate.

So your point is that you are incapable of understanding 10th grade science and 4th grade math?

Sorry, but it IS science - even if you're incapable of understanding it.
  • Reply 119 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Ok so Steve "Jobs" made devices that "just work" and Tim "Cook" made a device for "frying eggs"? Makes sense don't it?
  • Reply 120 of 175
    Seriously I think you need to step back and think about what you are saying. Many of us have had iPad 3 since Friday and have yet to experience any thermal issues. That is when doing a variety of things on the machine. So how is that Consumer Reports has been able to fabricate this report.

Well they actually detail some of what they have done, including the highly improbable activity iPod playing one game in a fixed position for over an hour. So really who is out of line here?

Quote:

It can't hurt to know the facts about the device. One of the chief appeals of the iPad to me anyway is that it doesn't get hot like a laptop. It's not "silly." If you don't like the information, don't read it.

You're not understanding my point about absolute power. I was referring to power in the marketplace. I think Apple is great, but constantly cheerleading everything it does and railing against any criticism is not going to help the organization. The number one problem Apple faces going forward is getting too full of itself. And regardless it doesn't matter -- consumers want information and they will get it. CR is an awesome organization that does a great job. If that doesn't jive with Apple Marketing, so be it.

It doesn't forgive Consumer Reports doing bad here even if they have done good else where. I mean really you don't let your kids have a free pass when they do something bad even if they have also done something good for the day. The problem here is that CR is devianting from the good that they have done significantly. If you can't see that the so be it, just don't expect much support from the rest of the crowd here!