Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games

Comments

• Reply 141 of 175
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

What would we do without you!

We could certainly do without the constant hyperbolic attacks.
  • Reply 142 of 175
    This could make a difference on weather the device could HOLD a charge, since that game would probably burn more energy out than what was coming in from a USB port that only supplies 5 watts? The other issue is HOW many people play these games with it plugged into any port?

I would also like to see how HOT top of the line (Tegra 3 Quad-Core) ANDROID tablet would get playing the same game, how LONG the battery lasts, AND weather it is able to HOLD a charge?

I know I'm expecting A LOT from CR, but unfortunately most of the "Moronic-Media" (non technical types) still think CR is the "HOLY GRAIL" of product review!
  • Reply 143 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

So, has CR actually tested the temperature of other tablets? How about laptops? My Dell used to get so hot it would be extremely uncomfortable to place on your lap. If they haven't, then this is just garbage reporting/testing.

On another note, as an engineer, I find that picture very satisfying. Looking at the heat signature of the iPad you can see a very uniform change in temperature from the processor outward. To me this speaks of excellent thermal design. If it was a poor design, then you should see hot spots or larger, stepped changes in temperature.

Since haters know nothing about engineering, it's not surprising to see that none of them on all the blogs has even noticed this obvious fact.

I look for that same pattern in a good BBQ Grill and a good frying pan too.

There are a few apps that will crank up my iPhones temp noticably but rarely have I had a similar experience with the iPad 2 or originial iPad. Hopefully it really is just specific use related.
  • Reply 144 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iooi View Post

Can you please repost your article using metric units so that the small rest of the world who uses this can understand what you're talking about? I have no idea what "116 degrees" are.

http://www.metric-conversions.org/co...alculators.htm
  • Reply 145 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

That sure does look HOT! Damn! It gets that way from playing video games?

It LOOKS hot only because they changed the scale to read from 20-40C. If the scale went from 20C-200C then both iPads would be almost the same color, and that wouldn't make for a very good flame-bait article, now would it?

Edited: One more thing - the measured temperatures are those little "crosshairs" in the lower right. They picked the hottest location to report the temperature - the average temperature over the entire device is lower.
  • Reply 146 of 175
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    Anyone who listens to CR is just not smart. I have had a subscription to them in the past and I have found out through sad experience that there reviews just plain suck and are wrong in most cases. I would not take there advice on what to buy if they were the last rating mag on the internet.

By the way my iPhone 4 picks up signal just fine and always has.
  • Reply 147 of 175
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Problem solved: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57...news&tag=title

1) If that is the primary issue it can be easily tested by letting the device get to room temperature on idle and then playing Infinity Blade 2 with the brightness all the way down, then letting it get to room temperature and then repeating with the brightness all the way up. To make sure everything is on par you can have the battery charged 100% and restore from a backup each time though I doubt that would affect the results.

2) Perhaps I'm the one who's not reading this correctly but to say "and the battery is 1.7X [larger]..." is to say that the battery is 170% more than the old battery. Shouldn't he be saying it's .07x (70%) larger or 1.7x (170x) as large"?

3) He doesn't even make a single mention of the GPU, the A5X having a heat sink where Apple's iDevices never had one before, or how the need to process 4x as many pixels requires a more powerful GPU. From the photos it's clear that the bottom-left area (if you're using it) that contains the A5X chip (or something in its proximity) that is generating the most amount of heat. You can feel it and its apparent on the thermal images.
  • Reply 148 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Ok so Steve "Jobs" made devices that "just work" and Tim "Cook" made a device for "frying eggs"? Makes sense don't it?

That is truly funny.
  • Reply 149 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Cracked Displaygate

Antennagate

Locationgate

Batterygate

Heatgate

mobilemegate

Walled gardengate

Sweat shopgate

I've lost track.

And "Stock Over $600 Gate"
  • Reply 150 of 175
    Should someone should do research that eyeballs and negative publicity do not automatically equate to sales and revenue.
  • Reply 151 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iooi View Post

Can you please repost your article using metric units so that the small rest of the world who uses this can understand what you're talking about? I have no idea what "116 degrees" are.

Really? No offense but there are plenty of conversion tools on the net and this is a US based site/publication. I am familiar with the Celsius scale but I find it inferior to Fahrenheit since it is less granular

I'm all for international visitors and exchange of ideas but it is best we each respect each others' customs and ways.
  • Reply 152 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdws View Post

It can't hurt to know the facts about the device. One of the chief appeals of the iPad to me anyway is that it doesn't get hot like a laptop. It's not "silly." If you don't like the information, don't read it.

You're not understanding my point about absolute power. I was referring to power in the marketplace. I think Apple is great, but constantly cheerleading everything it does and railing against any criticism is not going to help the organization. The number one problem Apple faces going forward is getting too full of itself. And regardless it doesn't matter -- consumers want information and they will get it. CR is an awesome organization that does a great job. If that doesn't jive with Apple Marketing, so be it.

I think the commenter understood your point perfectly...
  • Reply 153 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You make some great points.

You should send CR your oven mitt
  • Reply 154 of 175
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

We could certainly do without the constant hyperbolic attacks.

OK who's the who and who's the we.

Anyway Sol's got my 10 points for his

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

• Reply 155 of 175
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

You're spelling it wrong.

Can you do my Math homework for me.
  • Reply 156 of 175
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdws View Post

Are you guys trying to argue that Consumer Reports has some kind of grudge against Apple? With this latest test, they seem to be dealing in facts that better inform consumer buying decisions.

Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if you love the company and what it stands for, why would you oppose holding it to account?

You're nuts. They have not showed a sign of being "a behemoth," whatever that is. They're still bringing out the limited number of models, they are just selling better than ever before.

Consumer Reports? Some guy's opinion, in most regards. Sure, they'll tell you the best value in air conditioners. What exactly does this "heatgate" amount to. They admit themselves that it's not even uncomfortably warm. So what?

The closest to a complaint would be that if you're playing a big 3D game, and you're plugged in, you won't charge. No such complaint is true for normal operations.

Way to fix: if you want to charge it, leave it in the charger overnight. The battery lasts 9-10 hours.
  • Reply 157 of 175
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

1.) Why were bumpers given out then? For free?

2.) Why was the antennae design changed?

3.) Why did SJ say to hold it another way?

That is if a problem never existed? Just sayin?

Sometimes you have to cave to strongly negative PR, whether it's wrong or right.

Just replyin'.

Thompson
  • Reply 158 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

So, has CR actually tested the temperature of other tablets? How about laptops? My Dell used to get so hot it would be extremely uncomfortable to place on your lap. If they haven't, then this is just garbage reporting/testing.

On another note, as an engineer, I find that picture very satisfying. Looking at the heat signature of the iPad you can see a very uniform change in temperature from the processor outward. To me this speaks of excellent thermal design. If it was a poor design, then you should see hot spots or larger, stepped changes in temperature.

Since haters know nothing about engineering, it's not surprising to see that none of them on all the blogs has even noticed this obvious fact.

I used an IR temperature scanning sensor for a quick test.

Likely no where close to the rigorous CR test gear /s.

Ambient temperature in house is 77 F

Apple Cinema display on for 30 minute, 107.7 F

Western Digital USB external drive on for 30 minutes 102.1 F

My kids 97.5 F

iPad 3 (lower left, front and back) after 1 hour of full screen streamed movie, 50% brightness, not charging, WiFi connected but LTE on, 88.6 F which has been stable since 30 minutes of play.

There does not seem to be a real problem.

However I would not wrap my iPad in a sweater playing high frame rate game, using LTE, at 100% brightness, while charging.
  • Reply 159 of 175
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dunks View Post

you're spelling it wrong.

+1000
  • Reply 160 of 175
    Quote:

1.) Why were bumpers given out then? For free?

2.) Why was the antennae design changed?

3.) Why did SJ say to hold it another way?

That is if a problem never existed? Just sayin?

The problem did and still does exist. I am an all Apple family. 2 new iPads, one iPad 2, one MAc Pro, 1 iPhone 4S, 1 iPhone 4, one iPhone 3Gs, a gazillion iPod touches and iPod nanos.

Out of all these products, I only have problems with two. The iPhone 4 and the Mac Pro. Everything with the MAc Pro is resolved by changing some setting in the control panel. But the iPhone 4, well, indoors at work I get 2-3 bars signal. I ALWAYS drop calls if I hold it in the magic spot. This is hard not to do if you hold the phone with your left hand. This impacts 3G data also. I cannot check an app that needs to update if I cover the magic spot. Nevertheless, given how little the device is actually used a s a phone in such situations it is not a problem for me. But if you lived in an area where normal coverage sis poor then you have a major issue.