Apple re-enables in-store pickup for iPad, but most stores still unavailable

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Apple has re-enabled the in-store pickup option for online orders of the new iPad, though most retail stores still register as "Unavailable for Pickup" as the company works to meet heavy demand for the new tablet.

The in-store pickup option was reportedly unavailable on Apple's website during the first few days of new iPad sales, last Friday to Monday, according to one reader. The option has since reappeared, though AppleInsider was unable to find any stores that were available for pickup on Tuesday evening.

Record demand for the iPad pushed estimated shipping times to as high as two to three weeks days before the the device launched. Apple gave some indication that it has improved supply of the tablet when quoted shipping times dropped to one to two weeks on Tuesday.

Apple announced on Monday that it sold three million iPad units during launch weekend. Senior Vice President Philip Schiller called the device "a blockbuster," noting that it was the "strongest iPad launch yet."

Chief Executive Tim Cook said earlier on Monday that the executive team was "thrilled" with the iPad's record start.

According to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, consensus estimates for Apple's launch weekend were likely in the range of one to two million. Unprecedented demand for the iPad has prompted some on Wall Street to raise their iPad estimates for the March quarter. For instance, Evercore Partners' Rob Cihra now expects Apple to sell 13 million this quarter, up from 10 million.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Are any stores sold out of any iPad models? I did a survey of 0.28% of the stores and they had every model in stock.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are any stores sold out of any iPad models? I did a survey of 0.28% of the stores and they had every model in stock.

Looks like most stores (CO, AZ, TX, NM, OK) have most models.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I stopped in the NYC Soho and Upper West Side stores yesterday and there were plenty being sold, practically a non-stop line of them going out the door. Wild. No idea about certain models, but these articles must be about ordering online for delivery or in store pickup, because even the Best Buys here all have several different models in stock. I even stopped into the Soho Verizon store to pay my bill at the kiosk and their versions were in stock aplenty.

No wait for in-store purchases from what I can see.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I'm hoping to be able to pick up a 32 GB wi-fi one tomorrow (Wednesday). I called the Victoria Gardens (CA) store today, and the clerk I talked to "suggested I get there early". I get off at 3:40 tomorrow, so I'll have to hope they have some left. It's a good sign that some of you have seen plenty in stock in your areas. I hope that holds true for me tomorrow!

I checked the Apple website earlier about store pick-up availability, and the website stated that you can try from 10PM-4AM. I'm going online tonight to see if I can do it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Done! I had to use the Temecula Apple Store though. A bit further out, but not by much!

I'll have a 32GB White iPad ready and waiting for me tomorrow!!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ihmaihma Posts: 1member
    I had looked the past few days and the pickup option has been available, but only when trying to order between 10pm and 4am. That was even specified on the iPad ordering page info.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHMA View Post

I had looked the past few days and the pickup option has been available, but only when trying to order between 10pm and 4am. That was even specified on the iPad ordering page info.

That makes some sense. They did a similar thing with reservations for the iPhone 4s although it was like 10pm -1am or such. My guess is that limiting when you can do the order online w/instore is a way to still possible have some for walkins. Plus it potentially limits how much extra work they are putting on the stock room staff who have to receive all the pickup orders and get them set aside before regular business starts
  • Reply 8 of 8
    How long does Apple hold an instore pickup item for you to pick it up?