iPad growth accelerates to 156%, tablet sales to 'measurably' exceed PCs

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Meanwhile some analyst were disappointed in the new iPad's sales. Such is how some analyst distort things to match their pre-conceived notions.

First, iTunes is available for Windows 7 and likely will still work on Windows 8 desktops and Laptops. So getting iTunes to work on Windows 8 phones and tablets would be what Apple will need to address. I can easily imagine Apple releasing such an app because they want the potential revenue in music and media sales. Designing for WM8 is doable due to Microsoft's specifications for hardware, which is another reason for Apple to not make iTunes for Android.

Microsoft is still planning on making their own music and media store, so iTunes might not be much of a bargaining tool with MS.

However, with tens of millions of iPads in customer's hands Microsoft might want to get Office on the iPad to avoid iWork from gaining too many Enterprise clients from adopting it as a "better then nothing" tool set. If Apple were to threaten to upgrade iWork to deliver an improved Pages experience, that might suck some air out of MS Word. Add the dictation feature to Pages on an iPad and only "Numbers" is left to be brought up to Excel par and Apple could steal the ball from MS.

Apple has a knack of coming out of nowhere and disrupting a market. Microsoft has no presence currently in the smartphone and tablet market, Apple could hurt Office's dominance in 2012 with the right iWork product improvements concurrent with a PC version release.

Apple would have to step up their game in a major, major way. iWork though intuitive is no where even close to the power of MS Office. I've seen entire offices ran from an Excel spreadsheet. There isn't a major company in the world that doesn't use Excel with funcky Visual Basic formulas. I'm not saying it's impossible but Apple would have to create a new scripting language first to compete with Visual Basic and make it popular to use before they could even think about going after MS.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Anyway, please don't listen to the negative feedback that will surely follow this post, I rarely give a 100% satisfaction thumbs up, this device gets it in spades. Oh and sorry guys for the long post, I'm stuck in a hospital bed so I get a little overboard.

Great review, thanks a lot. Much appreciated. It's nice to get a different perspective on things. I doubt there are many females on here. I hope you get well soon.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Again I'm really sorry for being such a pain in the ass. I will be more conservative in the future.

There are a lot of immature idiots on this forum who don't have a clue what they're talking about and think it's funny to belittle or criticise others for speaking their mind. Just ignore them and say what you want to say.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Great review, thanks a lot. Much appreciated. It's nice to get a different perspective on things. I doubt there are many females on here. I hope you get well soon.

Not a problem and if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask. I really wish there was a service that would allow you to test out a phone for a week before buying. Then you could really see for your self how great the Note is before you bought one yourself.

There isn't though, so I tell you what I am so confident that you would love the Samsung Note that if you buy one and it turns out that it isn't the phone for you I will buy you a phone of your choice of equal value in exchange for your Note.

My husband want's one anyway so it's a win, win situation. If your interested just send me a Private Message.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Quote:

There are a lot of immature idiots on this forum who don't have a clue what they're talking about and think it's funny to belittle or criticise others for speaking their mind. Just ignore them and say what you want to say.

Well I understand this is an Apple fansite and there are plenty of other places where an Android fan can talk without some guy telling you that you've made the biggest mistake of your life because you bought a Samsung. Sometimes I think people really get mad on this forum when you mention that you own a product other then Apple.

No matter I don't want to upset these people anymore then they already are.

Hey why are you still awake, I can't sleep because I have another operation at 8:00 am and I am scared, really scared.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

However he does have a point. A browser is ubiquitous and you can email a link to a page on the web. You can't really email someone a link to a page in an app.

Yes you can, depending on the app. I do it often with the Flipboard app. It's a great feature. And you can use several apps without sacrificing memory. If I have several browser windows open on my mac, I'll find that over time my memory gets low due to all of the adverts being downloaded, etc. I then have to close widows or just restart my browser.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

App world --> walled garden.

Web --> free and open.

Funny, I access the web via apps (some call them web browsers). You don't?

Quote:

I certainly hope people don't react as you do, because if they do, 10 years from now, we will have a huge problem with walled in content.

oh STFU about this walled garden bullshit already. Your worse than the fsking Linus weenies at this point...

NO ONE CARES

Not because they are stupid, sheeple or some other term your ilk use to make yourselves feel superior, but because it's a complete bull shit argument. There is no restriction or walled garden with iOS. Apple STILL pushes mobile web browsing ahead of all other venoders and every mobile platform is standardized on WebKit, of which APPLE is the largest contributer!

And if you don't agree, the wild wild west that is Android awaits you with open arms. Have at it.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

However he does have a point. A browser is ubiquitous and you can email a link to a page on the web. You can't really email someone a link to a page in an app.

You can't link to all pages either - especially if they are dynamically generated.

Can we please stop creating contrived controversies?

Crap, I just realized what I am asking for never mind and carry on \
  • Reply 69 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Who's to say that you won't be able to invoke an app with an email link -- in the near future.

iOS already does this - the hacks for shortcuts to individual settings in the settings app leveraged this.

The OSX help system also leverages something similar...
  • Reply 70 of 72
    The whole contrived app vs web debate exists for the same reason as 7" tablets: No one else has as strong an ecosystem as Apple, so their weakness isn't a bug but a feature!

Same thing with the whole "open" fiasco too.

Marketing bullshit by competitors who can't otherwise compete on merit.

Rather Ironic given the charges of "success due only to marketing" that are constantly leveled at Apple by their detractors
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Quote:

Apple would have to create a new scripting language first to compete with Visual Basic and make it popular to use before they could even think about going after MS.

Er, AppleScript?

Although, sadly, there arent as many hooks as there used to be and more seem to disappeare with each new OS

This is one area Apple is going backwards and as far s system-wide integration goes, MS appears to be passing

But for years, Mac users had system wide scripting Windows users could only dream of....
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:

+1

For the really obnoxious ones never engage them directly. Only refer to them in posts to others. Really drives the little attention whores bonkers