iPhone 4 allegedly combusts while charging overnight

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

New Apple Product:

The award winning iPhone now comes in three colors: Black, White, and Charcoal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Millions upon millions of iPhone4 handsets have been sold all over the world, and ONE gets fried. PRODUCT RECALL!!! Jeez, a really slow day for AI.

Thirty seven million iPhone 4 units sold worldwide and we have an (alleged) single report of one combusting. Somebody call Mike Daisy so he can claim he saw a boat full of refugees sunk in the middle of a Chinese desert by the fire created by this phone.

I've corrected this article to more accurately reflect the probable truth:

"In what appears to be the first reported case of its kind on U.S. shores, a Colorado Samsung employee alleges that her iPhone 4 caught fire while charging overnight and wants Apple to warn off shareholders and customers of the device's possible combustion issues."
  • Reply 22 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

There have been no reports of severe overheating issues with the iPhone 4S or any other products in Apple's current lineup.

Then why is AI making a big deal out of this single report? Would an AI editor please answer this question?
  • Reply 23 of 68
    Why didn't I think of putting my iPhone 4 in the microwave, posting pictures on Mashable and hoping to score a free upgrade to an iPhone 4S?
  • Reply 24 of 68
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

New Apple Product:

The award winning iPhone now comes in three colors: Black, White, and Charcoal.

Ah, but will it blend?
  • Reply 25 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I can't see her face and body so I don't know how to feel about this. I'd sympathize with her plight if she was young and hot, or milf-like. But if she's unattractive and/or overweight then this means nothing to me.

Ive read many comments here on AI and this is one of the best. I actually registered so I could commend you.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    I actually don't find this so hard to believe. My wife's white iPhone 4 was having heating issues so much so that when it was plugged into the car (using the iPhone charger and a factory built in plug in the car) it got so hot it melted the aux cable that was running the music into the stereo to the point it was fused into the phone from the melted plastic on the cable.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    It's VERY unlikely that charging the phone would cause it to heat up and sizzle like she claimed. I've had my phone under my sweater while it charges once and for only about 10 minutes because I wasn't in the car. I came back into the car with the phone displaying that it stopped charging due to the heat level. I then unplugged it, wait for 2 minutes and plugged it in. It charge to full by the time I arrive home. No overheat, no combustion or sizzle. Just an awesome phone that knows how to shut itself off when it's too hot to charge.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    This is straight out of Charles Brockden Brown's Wieland, things spontaneously combusting!

Quick, someone get Consumer Reports on the case! And to think, their headline can be titled "iPhone 4s may combust spontaneously," based on a sample of one.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Sounds like she was using a third party charger/cable. Some are awful with overheating.

Sounds like someone didn't read the article.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I can't see her face and body so I don't know how to feel about this. I'd sympathize with her plight if she was young and hot, or milf-like. But if she's unattractive and/or overweight then this means nothing to me.

By using my channeling skill via her ear loop, she's identified as a 59 year old Google HR secretary who frequents garage sales (where she bought her earrings) and 99 cents stores. She had a previous record of setting her house on fire by using an extension cord she bought from a 99 cents store to plug in her 220V stove. She's no Angelina Jolie and had tried many times unsuccessfully to get on as a contestant in the "Biggest Loser" show.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

It's VERY unlikely that charging the phone would cause it to heat up and sizzle like she claimed. I've had my phone under my sweater while it charges once and for only about 10 minutes because I wasn't in the car. I came back into the car with the phone displaying that it stopped charging due to the heat level. I then unplugged it, wait for 2 minutes and plugged it in. It charge to full by the time I arrive home. No overheat, no combustion or sizzle. Just an awesome phone that knows how to shut itself off when it's too hot to charge.

A fully functional iPhone will certainly protect itself against overheating. It does seem likely that this one was damaged somehow. Given the numbers sold and used with no problem, it doesn't seem likely to be a design issue.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    I use lithium batteries for my quadcopter. The charging instructions say not to have anything combustible within 10 feet. Any lithium battery will start on fire if the case burst. This can be caused by overcharging, internal short or manufacturer defect. A proper charging system won't overcharge since it monitors the battery condition and reduces the charging current once it is charged. I don't know if the smarts are built into the charger or the iphone. My laptop has a dumb charger with the smarts built into the laptop.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Sounds like someone didn't read the article.

She might have used an Apple branded charger, but everything else she used might have come from the 99 cent store... like the cable or a case or even an extended battery that she might have plugged into the phone.

Any of those variables could have caused her phone to do what it did. Also... there are a lot of fake "Apple branded" products out there. China should be renamed as "PPP" for People's Pirate Paradise instead of of "PRC" for People's Republic of China.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    I'd sympathize with her plight if she was young and hot
  • Reply 35 of 68
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I don't see anyone hitting the panic button.

Do you understand the difference between news and mass hysteria ?

You mean like iPad 3'overheating , antenna gate, ad nauseum?
  • Reply 36 of 68
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Dear Aunty AI,

I picked my iPhone up this morning and it left a mark on the mirror where it has been leaning. The steam from the shower had been prevented from getting to the mirror and as I moved the phone the mark was John Lennon's face. I called the local paper and we are expecting a pilgrimage from Liverpool in a few weeks. I am sure this will go viral soon. Do you think it would be OK to profit from this amazing miracle?

Yours,

Sammy
  • Reply 37 of 68
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Millions upon millions have been sold, with complex parts sourced from all over. These things store a lot of energy, and with so many in existence, once in a while, it?s possible one will explode, or grow legs, or rise into the sky, or begin reciting Hamlet. It?s just a matter of probability. I see no reason to doubt that this might happen, 1 time in 10 million, through no fault of the user. And if it does, that user certainly ought to get a replacement!
  • Reply 38 of 68
    Troooooooooooollll!
  • Reply 39 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Millions upon millions have been sold, with complex parts sourced from all over. These things store a lot of energy, and with so many in existence, once in a while, it?s possible one will explode, or grow legs, or rise into the sky, or begin reciting Hamlet. It?s just a matter of probability. I see no reason to doubt that this might happen, 1 time in 10 million, through no fault of the user. And if it does, that user certainly ought to get a replacement!

Yes, the user deserved a replacement and a replacement she got. However, she wasn't satisfied with just getting a replacement because she wanted an upgraded version. When she didn't, she went to the media... Suspicious much? She doesn't deserve ANYTHING since her actions are highly suspicious... well, I take that back! She deserves prison time for fraud.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Combustiongate....

No joke. There's been perhaps 100 incidents out of millions of units. But the media will make it sound like it is happening 100 times a day