Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 175
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I know you mean well here but as crude as it was stated the guy has a point. In any event I could really appreciate a little less censorship on the Internet. Seems like every time I turn around there is another person using his perverted sense of reality to try to censor another part of the net.

I find it especially perplexing that the suicide of children is now yet another reason to enlist the censors. As sad as it is, any kid that would kill himself due to a posting on the web already has mental issues. Here we have a crudely worded but relevant post that gets to the heart of the matter, people often get far to emotional over transient posts in these forums.

Personally I think anybody pressing that button ought to be held in suspicion until the nature of the post is discussed off line.

Oh for God's sake, what the fuck are you talking about? You think "these fucking losers get butt-hurt" makes a point? That that level of brainless trolling is a contribution, or that banning someone trolling like that impoverishes the discussion? I don't know even know what to say.

And anyone reporting a trolling should be held in suspicion? What? Until the "nature of the post" is discussed "offline"? What does that even mean? We pick a bar and chat about the nuance of "fucking losers" and "butthurt"?

Really man. Get a grip.
  • Reply 162 of 175
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh for God's sake, what the fuck are you talking about? You think "these fucking losers get butt-hurt" makes a point? That that level of brainless trolling is a contribution, or that banning someone trolling like that impoverishes the discussion? I don't know even know what to say.

And anyone reporting a trolling should be held in suspicion? What? Until the "nature of the post" is discussed "offline"? What does that even mean? We pick a bar and chat about the nuance of "fucking losers" and "butthurt"?

Really man. Get a grip.

I think someone needs a Valium or at least a time out, It's just a meaningless post. Do you really think it needed such an abruptly abusive reply.
  • Reply 163 of 175
    wandersowanderso Posts: 116member
    I have the new iPad. I noticed it getting fairly warm when working on it. I wonder though if it is more related to an OS issue or an application causing excessive CPU or video processor cycles from a runaway process. I found when it seems to be running hot that if I reboot, it ran much cooler with the same app. (these were not graphics laden apps) I've encountered this on my iPhone at times as well.

So it may be that apple will issue a software update to address the issue. It would be a shame if they scale back the frame rate for games though.
  • Reply 164 of 175
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Seriously, I've never noticed my iPad even feel remotely warm, let alone hot . . and I live where it can be 100+ degrees.
  • Reply 165 of 175
    Consumer Reports. Don't care. Irrelevant. Even if they jump up and down like spoiled teen girls screaming "iPAAAAAAD!!!" (and they won't because they're all Google whores), it doesn't matter. They should stick to rating coffee makers and vacuum cleaners. Leave computing devices to people in the know.
  • Reply 166 of 175
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

What does that even mean? We pick a bar and chat about the nuance of "fucking losers" and "butthurt"?

I don't know why, but your comments sent me back to the 1970's and disco. Memories of late night bar scenes full of young professionals, thinking they were discussing important topics whilst drunk, stoned, or both.
  • Reply 167 of 175
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    [insult removed]
  • Reply 168 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why did adding VZW necessitate a change in design? Is the VZW iPhone 4S different from ATTs on the outside? No. That was all an excuse to change/fix the design. They didn't do it for the ATT version because it would've been an admission of a flaw.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...ies/1oyvey.gif

remember that Verizon uses CDMA for 3G, which requires a completely different radio than AT&T?s GSM network and therefore requires a completely different Antenna.

http://www.imore.com/2011/01/11/veri...designed-cdma/
  • Reply 169 of 175
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and then add to your ignore list

Ya gotta be really careful with putting posters on ignore. If all the regulars did that it could lead to half-truths (or outright lies) being accepted as the whole truth by casual visitors when no one disagrees with the post.

There's around 300K pageviews here each day on average. Your single pair of eyes ignoring a post could give few thousand visitors the mistaken impression that regulars don't really disagree with what's been written. Of course if you don't care what other reader's might get from threads, ignore is fine for you. They still see it but you don't have to.
  • Reply 170 of 175
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

A fraction of the energy being dissipated is light, the rest is heat.

No it's not. Part of the energy used is running the components.

Heat is wasted energy. That is what energy efficiency is all about. Doing the same (or more) using less energy. If you had a 100% energy efficient component, it would not generate any heat and you would not need heat sinks on devices.
  • Reply 171 of 175
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Consumer Reports. Don't care. Irrelevant. Even if they jump up and down like spoiled teen girls screaming "iPAAAAAAD!!!" (and they won't because they're all Google whores), it doesn't matter. They should stick to rating coffee makers and vacuum cleaners. Leave computing devices to people in the know.

Why are they Google whores, what does that even mean, I'll flash you for a good search result? Plus I'm sure they've hired professionals to review computers and other computer related products, it's silly to even think otherwise. I read the interview and it was very favourable towards the iPad, okay so they had a few negative comments.

The iPad isn't the perfect tablet, I don't think that even exists. Each and every one of them has some sort of fault. The closest one in my opinion is the Samsung Galaxy 7.7 but even that one is missing a decent front camera. Don't flame me to much as I just have a a fondness for smaller gadgets and I just happen to think 7.7 is the perfect size for me. It's my opinion so there is no need to crush it by saying anything negative, I understand fully that this is an Apple fan site.
  • Reply 172 of 175
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    Sorry, same comment again : you use whatever unit you like, but considering the international audience of this site, I would appreciate that you mention the unit used (Farenheit degrees) in your titles. That would prevent me from having each time a heart attack...
  • Reply 173 of 175
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

No it's not. Part of the energy used is running the components.

Heat is wasted energy. That is what energy efficiency is all about. Doing the same (or more) using less energy. If you had a 100% energy efficient component, it would not generate any heat and you would not need heat sinks on devices.

You need to go back to your high school science course.

There is energy going into the system from the battery. The same amount of energy must come out of the system.

Energy can leave an iPad as light, as heat, or as electromagnetic radiation. That's it. So all of the energy in the battery is eventually converted into one of those three. It is impossible to have a device which is 100% efficient (third law of thermodynamics), anyway.
  • Reply 174 of 175
    droodroo Posts: 27member
    Quote:

I think CR figures (like many a tech web site) that "bad stuff about Apple" is a proven eyeball deliverer. That's not a grudge, that's just cynical expedience. Which is unfortunate, because CR used to have a reputation for being pretty dispassionate.

But "opening an investigation" into something as silly as "new iPad gets a little warmer"? That's pandering, straight up. A real turnoff.

And "absolute power corrupts absolutely"? What? Are you saying Apple has decided to deliver iPads that seer your flesh and now intends to cover that fact up with evil mind control, so CR to the rescue? What does somewhat warmer have to do with corruption?

Agreed. CR knows that if they say what everyone else is saying: "...Great display... blah blah blah..." My grandma will read it to her cat and no one else will give it two seconds thought.

Instead, they say something entirely out of the ordinary about an Apple product: World wide attention.