Targus will replace Slim iPad cases incompatible with new model

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Case maker Targus has confirmed that it will replace cases free of charge for customers who have discovered that the auto-sleep/wake function of iPad 2-compatible cases does not work with the third-generation tablet.

After a reader reported receiving a replacement Targus Slim case for his new iPad, AppleInsider reached out to the company to confirm the policy.

"Targus will replace any of the new iPad cases at no charge," a spokesperson replied.

Shortly after the new iPad was released last week, reports emerged that Apple had changed the magnets used to automatically put the device to sleep when a compatible cover is put into place. Though Apple's own Smart Covers were found to work with the new iPad, some third-party cases were affected by the switch.

Kyle Wiens of iFixit said in an email to AppleInsider that he had been told Apple changed the polarity of the magnets on the new iPad. "There was an issue with the smart cover accidentally triggering the sleep sensor, so Apple went to a polarity sensitive sensor," he wrote.

Apple released its Smart Cover accessory last year alongside the iPad 2. A teardown of the original Smart Cover last year found 21 magnets embedded in the accessory and 10 in the iPad 2. The company quietly updated the accessory last October to match the inside of the cover with the outside.

Targus has released a new Slim case compatible with Apple's new iPad.

Apple's new iPad is off to a record start with three million sold in its first weekend of availability. Company executives have said they're thrilled by the device's performance.

The new tablet has received overwhelmingly positive reviews, though some minor quibbles have been raised about the device. For instance, some reports claim the new iPad runs much warmer than the iPad 2, and, in some cases, reaches temperatures as high as 116 degrees Fahrenheit. Another report called the LTE iPad a "speed trap" as users have discovered that it takes just a few hours to use up a monthly data allotment from AT&T or Verizon when streaming high-quality video. Still others have complained of weak Wi-Fi reception with the device.

To read more about the third-generation iPad, see AppleInsider's in-depth review.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I wonder if only some of these cases are affected. If the polarity didn’t matter previously Targus might have just put them in randomly.

Not matching the magnet orientation from Apple’s existing design is a pretty big engineering oversight.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Great marketing.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I wish Piel Frama woud do the same with the cover I bought from them that worked perfectly with my iPad 2.

But then again, it's certainly not their fault if Apple changed the polarity of their magnet system.

It's very disappointing to have a nice expensive cover (130$) and not being able to benefit the feature of auto/wake of the new iPad.

Sad indeed! \
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I wish Piel Frama woud do the same with the cover I bought from them that worked perfectly with my iPad 2.

But then again, it's certainly not their fault if Apple changed the polarity of their magnet system.

It's very disappointing to have a nice expensive cover (130$) and not being able to benefit the feature of auto/wake of the new iPad.

Sad indeed! \
  • Reply 5 of 13
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Great marketing.

Bad business
  • Reply 6 of 13
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCheech View Post

Sad indeed! \

Where is the evidence that Apple changed the polarity of the magnets? And if they did that, how is it that the original SmartCover still works?

Looks like the third parties just didn't match the magnets properly.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Case maker Targus has confirmed that it will replace cases free of charge for customers who have discovered that the auto-sleep/wake function of iPad 2-compatible cases does not work with the third-generation tablet. ...

If Apple would just make the "slide-to-unlock" thing an option that we could turn off, we wouldn't need stupid iPad cases at all.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If Apple would just make the "slide-to-unlock" thing an option that we could turn off, we wouldn't need stupid iPad cases at all.

Yeah, because that would stop people from dropping their iPads. And it would also stop people from putting something that might scratch the iPad into their briefcase.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

That would be awesome, I'd love for my iPad to accidentally turn on all the time while in my bag.

The slide to unlock is meant to prevent accidental touches just like older non-touch devices had a button lock. Seems trivial to consider a quick slide of the finger too inconvenient but that's just me.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

That's an even bigger leap than saying "all Mac users are creative hipster doofuses".
  • Reply 11 of 13
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Magnetogate
  • Reply 12 of 13
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For instance, some reports claim the new iPad runs much warmer than the iPad 2, and, in some cases, reaches temperatures as high as 116 degrees Fahrenheit.

Does the temperature issue only become a problem with prolonged gaming contributing to the overheating of the processor? I have the smart cover now, but I like the look of the Targus because it protects the back of the device as well. Just wondering if it also might impede the dissipation of heat since it covers the back. I don't do any gaming but I do watch movies. Hopefully that doesn't cause too much heat to build up.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Where is the evidence that Apple changed the polarity of the magnets? And if they did that, how is it that the original SmartCover still works?

Looks like the third parties just didn't match the magnets properly.

Have a look at this video, it convinced me:

http://markshangout.com/blog/2012/3/...e-feature-not- working.html