iPhone 4 allegedly combusts while charging overnight

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Her product failed...Apple replaced the product...she got mad it was a like for like and not a brand new 4s...time to complain to the world.

Failed-Upgrade-To-Newest-Model-Now-I-Will-Be-A-Troll-Gate
  • Reply 62 of 68
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, and you know that the one they tested is the one that was in use when the failure occurred because?

Granted, I think it's entirely possible that the phone failed. But that doesn't mean that the lady is being entirely truthful - especially since she was so eager to upgrade to the iPhone 4S.

I think everyone is reading to much into her going public about the failure. A lithium battery failure is pretty impressive. She thought users should be aware of it. There is nothing wrong with that. I do believe that given the low probablity of failures battery warnings are likely a waste of time and effort though.

As for her request for a 4s. I probably would have asked for one too. If you don't ask you don't get. IIRC someone posted about taking in a broken 4 and just having to pay an upgrade cost to get a 4s.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    User replaceable batteries would allow a person to remove the battery if it seemed to be causing a problem thus saving the phone.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...the device creating "an awful, putrid smell, almost like you were ingesting plastic of some kind.”...

What the hell was she doing eating the thing anyway?
  • Reply 65 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

User replaceable batteries would allow a person to remove the battery if it seemed to be causing a problem thus saving the phone.

But since Apple gave her a new phone, that's better than replacing the battery. Once again, user replaceable batteries involve a lot of compromises that Apple wasn't willing to make.

Besides, how would user replaceable batteries have prevented this problem? She didn't know she had a problem until it caught fire.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    mj4ev3rmj4ev3r Posts: 99member
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;2078418]In what appears to be the first reported case of its kind on U.S. shores, a Colorado woman alleges that her iPhone 4 caught fire while charging overnight and wants Apple to warn customers of the device's possible combustion issues.

The woman, who spoke under the condition of anonymity, said she took her story to tech website Mashable in order to spread public awareness over the reported issue, claiming that Apple has been reticent to acknowledge the alleged incident.

The unnamed source claims that she awoke in the early morning during a recent trip to the east coast to find her year-old white iPhone 4 making "sizzling" and "popping" noises. After an unspecified amount of time there was ?not quite an explosion, but an immense crackling,? and smoke plumed from the device creating "an awful, putrid smell, almost like you were ingesting plastic of some kind.?

CALL ME A CYNIC, BUT I SMELL SOMETHING FISHY HERE!

• Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm calling bullsh*t. She's the only one ever to have this problem and then she wanted to be upgraded to a 4S.

Ya that seems kinda weird to me, and she ONLY got the phone replaced. Come on anyone else would have been ecstatic to have a new phone and a cool story to tell.
  • Reply 68 of 68

my iphone did the same thing.  well, kind of.  it was charging and it made some popping noise and then one corner got pushed put partially seperating the device