RIM hiring iOS developers for enterprise apps [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

A job listing that appeared on Research in Motion's website reveals that the BlackBerry maker is looking to hire developers for an undisclosed iOS enterprise app to be distributed through Apple's App Store.

Upadte: A RIM spokesperson confirmed to All Things D that the company is indeed developing an iPhone app as part of its BlackBerry Mobile Fusion project.

“In order for BlackBerry Mobile Fusion to perform advanced management functions for iOS devices, RIM will develop an on device client to be included as part of the overall solution,” the spokesperson said.

The listing, which was posted on Tuesday only to be removed by Thursday, described a long-term position that would be in charge of creating "exciting applications for distribution on the iOS platform" to be implemented into new products.

Along with the usual coding and communication skills, requirements called for a candidate well-versed in creating apps for both the iPhone and the iPad.

While the exact responsibilities of the job are vague, the position could be related to the company's Mobile Fusion security software that was introduced in 2011. The software, which is intended to run on both iOS and Android devices, is aimed at corporate customers and extends device management beyond the company's own BlackBerry products.

Once the market leader in smartphone push services and enterprise products, RIM has fallen to the wayside as popular offerings running iOS and Android have eclipsed BlackBerry sales. In a recent report, it was estimated that the Canadian company was worth less as a whole than Apple's App Store alone.

In May 2011, RIM announced that it would be update its BlackBerry Enterprise Server to support iOS devices, signaling a possible strategic shift toward data services instead of hardware.

Service outages, poor product launches and a series of software update delays brought down RIM's market share, and the company is struggling to survive in a world dominated by the iPhone and similar Android handsets.

Screenshot of RIM's job posting for an iOS developer grabbed by All Things D before its removal.

It was revealed on Thursday that Apple outsold BlackBerry devices for the first time in RIM's home country of Canada.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    "Comfortable working in a Linux environment"??

Are they going to require using an alternate development environment, or will it be xCode and Macs?

I guess they're looking for someone to port their entire enterprise business to iOS?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Must be a slow news day.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Are they going to require using an alternate development environment, or will it be xCode and Macs?

I'm guessing all of their software development infrastructure is based around Linux (source control, etc). Would make sense given that Blackberry's OS is QNX-based.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That would be the back end business logic that the apps connect to over the Internet most likely.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    RIM is probably switching to iPhone internally, and they need some custom enterprise apps written.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Maybe they want their last remaining customers to be able to use BBM to communicate with their iPhone toting buddies, well, before they hit on the "Go and get an iPhone" solution.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I think Curly and Moe are still in charge while letting Larry front as head cheese.

Flailing blindly in the dark is hardly the same as productive action.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    RIP RIM

I do desktop management in a large enterprise with 1k+ seats and over 200 cell phones in the USA divisions alone. I can tell you BB is dead, its over, we cant manage iPhone as well as we could manage BB, but it turns out the exchange based management is good enough for the 90% of what we want to do from an IT perspective that is actually required -- the other 10 percent was nice to have but not key. Users love the iphones, deploying a BB was like giving someone a brick of disappointment, like I just gave a kid an empty box wrapped in bright paper for Christmas. When I deploy an iPhone, I feel like the boss who gets to hand his hard working crew a bonus check, they are free to do whatever tehy want with it as long as they don't misappropriate company information.

Contrary to most peoples view, corprate IT, at least everywhere I have worked, is driven to make the end users happily productive without compromising security and reliability and as an IT guy who likes people too, I love giving someone a tool that they like to use, it is really nice.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    So RIM, why would an accomplished iOS developer give up and start working for a company that has committed itself to self incineration?

Timing is everything and this move is about 4 years late. In the information age years are like dog years! You're a dinosaur, and get used to it!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

So RIM, why would an accomplished iOS developer give up and start working for a company that has committed itself to self incineration?

Timing is everything and this move is about 4 years late. In the information age years are like dog years! You're a dinosaur, and get used to it!

simple: some devs dont want to start their own thing, thew want a nice job with a coosh salary so they can do their 40-60 hours a week and then be free to hang out with their kids and such and not have to stress about weather or not the app sells a ton, they get paid either way...

I can assure you this wont be just a standard $50-100k dev job, this will pay really well, 200k+, if I am an IOS dev with a couple apps of my own in the store, in maintenance mode, I could gtake on this job for a year or two (untill RIM totally goes belly up, regaurdless of the ios project succcess) and make some nice cash while keeping the app income from my existing apps, just tune and update them on the weekends.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In May 2011, RIM announced that it would be update its BlackBerry Enterprise Server to support iOS devices, signaling a possible strategic shift toward data services instead of hardware.

They have supported native clients on Nokia devices for years, so surely this is just an expansion of support other devices?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    So, RIM is headed to hell in a handbasket. Someone's going to buy them sooner or later. Who will it be? What differences would it make if it were any one of the names in smart phones? How about a new player, like, say HP? What would Apple gain from buying RIM?

Would Apple gain anything by owning RIM's secure servers? Or, after the huge blackouts of 2011, are the servers an asset any longer?

Who makes RIM's phones? Does RIM manufacture anything? Does anyone care?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Let's hope this is a sign similar to Microsoft's way of thinking towards iOS...use it as another sales avenue...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Purchase Whisker Straighteners Store Online,100% Promise GHD Ringlets Straighteners,CHI Collapsed Irons,Babyliss Straighteners Blistering Bargain-priced,Penny-pinching Payment Untenanted Shipping &Fast Childbirth,Welcome Order!

ghd sale

ghd straighteners

chi straighteners
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Acquire Mane Straighteners Co-op give credence to Online,100% Guaranty GHD Whisker Straighteners,CHI Unhesitatingly Irons,Babyliss Straighteners Hot Sale,Penny-pinching Figure Untenanted Shipping &Fast Performance,Hail Order!

ghd sale

ghd straighteners

chi straighteners
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Purchase Hair's breadth Straighteners Keep Online,100% Guaranty GHD Whisker Straighteners,CHI Unhesitatingly Irons,Babyliss Straighteners Brilliant Trade,Economical Payment Untenanted Shipping &Fast Childbirth,Welcome Tidiness!

ghd sale

ghd straighteners

chi straighteners