Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 181
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think about comments I've seen like this, then I also remember that I've seen plenty of young girls, even without purses, that seem to have no problem dealing with a larger phone.

Easy since it is always up to their ear or in two hands while txting

They never ever put them in their front pockets.
  • Reply 22 of 181
    I think that this is the "upgraded version of the old iPhone 4S" that Apple will continue to make available at $100 lower after a thinner, 4-inch "The new iPhone" is introduced in the Fall. (The iPhone 4 will be made available for $99, and 3s will be gone.)
  • Reply 23 of 181
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

This is how I imagine the next-gen iPhone will work. A 4.5" screen at 1280x720 would have the exact same pixel density as the current iPhone. Then for apps that aren't updated to the new display, they could show as

or for apps that have top/bottom bars with a scroll view in the middle, they can scale

I don't think scaling or a new screen ratio is necessary. They can go 10% larger per pixel and still fit their definition of retina display. Their current definition says 300ppi is "retina", the current model is roughly 330ppi.
  • Reply 24 of 181
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

An LTE phone will require a denser battery.

From my iPad experience, I can tell you that this will result in much longer recharge cycles

Keep in mind that most of the longer recharge time is due to the display on the new iPad, not LTE. My iPad is wifi, but yes, it takes much longer to recharge than my iPad 2. Though we're getting more or less the same amount of battery life per charge, due to the needs of the retina display, the battery in the new iPad is significantly more powerful than the battery in the iPad 2. Since the iPhone already has a retina display, a larger form factor wouldn't be as much of a hit on battery needs as the change we experienced with the iPad.
  • Reply 25 of 181
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think that this is the "upgraded version of the old iPhone 4S" that Apple will continue to make available at $100 lower after a thinner, 4-inch "The new iPhone" is introduced in the Fall. (The iPhone 4 will be made available for $99, and 3s will be gone.)

This is exactly what I'm expecting. I'll be disappointed if the new iPhone sticks to the same 3.5 inch screen. I never felt compelled to upgrade to an iPhone 4S simply because my iPhone 4 is still an excellent device. I'm really hoping for a compelling reason to upgrade. For many, that'll be LTE. For me, it's all about the screen.
  • Reply 26 of 181
    ahrubikahrubik Posts: 80member
    If the screen rumor came from the same source as the dock connector rumor then it's all complete bullshit. No way Apple will change the dock connector and alienate billions of already sold accessories for the "i" line. One thing that keeps people buying idevices is the amount of stuff they have that works with them.

Do you really think someone will keep buying an iPhone if they have to buy a $600 speaker dock all over again. Some people just don't think. The reason Apple chose the proprietary dock connector in the first place is so they can freely adapt it's connectivity to any new standard they want to without having to modify the idevices.
  • Reply 27 of 181
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

How is this a rumor? Is this not common sense?

It is if you follow the rumor sites.

But I do think this will be one of the hardest iPhones to guess specs for in a while. 4G is obvious, but what else? 1GB ram maybe? Lower clocked A5X? It already has Retina. It already has Siri. Maybe a new Apple maps app?
  • Reply 28 of 181
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

Same here. I am not upgrading to another iPhone with a screen less than 4". If the next iPhone has a 3.5" screen I will check out Android and Windows phones available at the time and make the switch.

-kpluck
  • Reply 29 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think scaling or a new screen ratio is necessary. They can go 10% larger per pixel and still fit their definition of retina display. Their current definition says 300ppi is "retina", the current model is roughly 330ppi.

The point isn't to have something that qualifies as "Retina". The point is to have something where widgets and other elements appear to be physically the exact same size. Either this requires rescaling all art assets at non-integral values (something they explicitly decided against with the pixel-doubling design) or keeping the resolution density exactly the same.
  • Reply 30 of 181
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Apples in for a surprise if the next IPhone only had a 3.5 inch screen. Sales will be hurt big time as many people will choose to keep their Iphone4 or 3s and not upgrade
  • Reply 31 of 181
    andreidandreid Posts: 96member
    If they bump up the screen size i won't even consider an upgrade from my 4S, till at least this current phone i own gets way too old to handle the apps or os (aprox 2-3 years).

Why do people want to use mini ipads near their ears is beyond my understanding. I've seen how fugly the Galaxy S II and the Note looks when held near the ear. Might aswell cut the BS and give the iPad a cell phone capability and go with that.

IMHO a bigger cellphone (more than 3,5 inch in screen) look as terrible when someone talks on it, as the iPad looks when shooting videos or taking stills. Not cool at all !

Moreover my one handed fingers reach any point of the screen very easily on the 3,5" display. Move over that and you have to seriously reposition the phone at the very extremities of the hand (dangerous) or use both hands (not useful sometimes).
  • Reply 32 of 181
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    I do think they need to increase the screen size. No, they don't need the ridiculous monster Android screens, but a 4"or so in a slightly bigger form factor would be good thing. The extra real estate really does help. In line with Steve Jobs' 5 years ahead comment 5 years ago, I do think they will go for some significant change beyond shape or internal upgrades. Screen size would be the ideal one, along with LTE
  • Reply 33 of 181
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

Every year I say I won't upgrade, and yet I am compelled to do so when the new version arrives.

So, here is my annual "I will not upgrade" speech.

I pre-ordered the new iPad, and I am in love with the speed over my old first generation.

The LTE speed feels like wifi to me.

With the speed of that device, and the fact that I use it instead of my phone for most email and web browsing, I cannot justify a new phone, just to get LTE on it.

An LTE phone will require a denser battery.

From my iPad experience, I can tell you that this will result in much longer recharge cycles.

I find it hard to believe the next generation phone will be that much better than the iPhone4S!

And yet I suspect you won't be able to resist
  • Reply 34 of 181
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

If they bump up the screen size i won't even consider an upgrade from my 4S, till at least this current phone i own gets way too old to handle the apps or os (aprox 2-3 years).

Why do people want to use mini ipads near their ears is beyond my understanding. I've seen how fugly the Galaxy S II and the Note looks when held near the ear. Might aswell cut the BS and give the iPad a cell phone capability and go with that.

IMHO a bigger cellphone (more than 3,5 inch in screen) look as terrible when someone talks on it, as the iPad looks when shooting videos or taking stills. Not cool at all !

Moreover my one handed fingers reach any point of the screen very easily on the 3,5" display. Move over that and you have to seriously reposition the phone at the very extremities of the hand (dangerous) or use both hands (not useful sometimes).

You don't think Apple design team is capable of making a 4 " screen in a device that is far superior to the Galaxy crap. I can see them going edge to edge and shrinking the top and bottom to get the larger size in the same or very slightly larger form factor.
  • Reply 35 of 181
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

No one wants iPhone size increase. It is only about screen and getting rid of the home button (or moving it to side).

As I posted in the different thread:

Calculations show that by making display edge-to-edge wide (2 1/4 inches instead of just 2) and round-corner-to-round-corner long (4 inches instead of 3), the diagonal would be

square root of (4^2 + 2.25^2) = 4.58938994 which is in line with the previous rumor.

Without making screen width edge-to-edge the maximum for the current form factor is:

square root of (4^2 + 2^2) = 4.47213595
  • Reply 36 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

... but I do hope they move to a 4" 3:2 display that fits into the same size casing.

Wouldn't that be really pushing it? I'd like the screen size to go up to 4", too, but I am not worried if the casing grows a little. A couple of mm's would be fine with me.
  • Reply 37 of 181
    I sure hope they are wrong. I skipped the 4s because of the same screen size as the 4. If they don't make a larger screen I will probably convert the wife and myself to Android (we will both be out of contract then). She has a 3gs and I have a 4. I rarely use the iphone apps since getting an ipad 1, ipad 2, and now ipad 3. The only thing I would miss would be photo stream. I sure hope Apple realizes by now that a bigger screen is needed for the iphone.
  • Reply 38 of 181
    mdcraggmdcragg Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Call me crazy but I like the 3.5" screen size. It works well with one hand. When I need a bigger screen I use my iPad.

You're not crazy. The current screen size is just fine. All this talk about needing a bigger screen size is just something people complain about so that they have something to complain about.
  • Reply 39 of 181
    Quote:

I don't really notice anymore. But 'speaking on the phone' must be a small part of the average Phone experience these days.
  • Reply 40 of 181
    I'm not sold on LTE, based upon what they're reporting is happening with iPad usage. I'm not one to watch movies on my phone, so both a bigger screen and faster LTE really don't appeal to me. I'm all for moving forward, but I don't want to pay more for something that will make me use more data, forcing me to pay yet more.

I like the idea of Apple offering 3 size choices for mobile communication - iPhone for the small size, iPad for a better reading (and game playing) size and laptops like the mba for more than just consumption. That's my idea - make all of these products mobile communication devices where you can use one telco contract and simply transfer usage from one device to the other.