Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen

Comments

• Reply 61 of 181
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

As an iPhone turned Android turned iPhone user I beg to differ. The Android phones while cool and all the are also rife with platform fragmentation, low end devices trying to do everything a high end device does and security issues. This isn't even mentioning the stuff the carriers put on them. My experience was bad enough for me to change back to an iPhone as I wanted a phone I didn't have screw around with and reboot twice a day to get it to work.

While I'm a technically minded user and was able to deal with it until I just got fed up, the normal user won't know how to remove a troublesome app that eats all the processor time (and thus the battery) or manage it to the point where it's stable most of the time. I think if they come out with a new/better device then we'll see another migration from 'droid to Apple.

The average consumer just wants something that .. well to somewhat quote Steve Jobs... "Just Works"... Apple does that quite well.. Android with it's multiple versions and hardware specs.. doesn't.

I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't trying to defend Android in any way. In my response to Kotatsu, I was simply suggesting that the reason Android is ahead in sales (I took his word for it) was because of the sheer number of Android models available and not as his question suggested, that it may be because the iPhone has a small screen.

My experience with Android has been very similar to yours. I've seen numerous friends and relatives switch to iPhones because they got fed up with their Android phones. My own brother has an Android phone because he A) didn't consult with me first and B) took whatever the Verizon salesman suggested. I don't think he cared all that much and honestly doesn't even look at it as an Android phone. To him, it's just a smart phone. Makes me wonder how many other people like him there are out there, people who kinda don't care what they get.
  • Reply 62 of 181
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It seems unlikely that apple will ever sell mobile devices with slightly different screen sizes. Apple realizes that optimal interfaces are only possible when they are designed specifically for the hardware on which they will run. For example, iPhone apps are usable but sub-optimal when run on an iPad. iPad apps would be completely unusable if they were available on the iPhone.

The importance of this should not be underestimated. One of iOS's greatest characteristics is that the platform is consistent and thus software is perfectly tailored to the hardware.

In particular, text and interface elements must be sized properly for touch interfaces and readability. If a 4" or 4.5" phones were available, they would have different optimal sizes for everything.

Thus, in order to keep the platform unified, and to ensure that interfaces are optimal, Apple will likely limit it's products to as few form factors as possible. This is good for those of us who prefer the a 3.5" phone. But those who would prefer a larger screen, will likely always be somewhat dissatisfied with the single screen size offered by Apple.
  • Reply 63 of 181
    utsavautsava Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

I think the only advantage to Apple of moving up to a bigger screen is that it conceivably buys them extra internal space for battery, to counteract the more power intensive LTE chipset. By going to even a 4" screen, they could make the device a bit thinner but actually gain valuable internal real-estate.

Finally some common sense! I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. There are two things that when looked at rationally will probably happen with the next gen phone:

1) Slightly increased display. As you said, this kills two birds with one stone. More internal space for a battery and a larger screen to keep competitive. As other posters have said, a 10% increase in pixel size will still fall in Retina territory (300ppi) and wouldn't end up in resolution fragmentation. Everything would just be 10% bigger. Sure it won't look quite as sharp as the existing iPhone's screen, but it will still be gorgeous and above the new iPads screen (which is below 300ppi).

2) The A6 SoC. Apple's A5X was custom built for the new iPad. It favors increased graphics over an increased CPU because they essentially had no choice in driving that monster amount of pixels. The A6 will be tailored to the iPhone. It will probably be fabbed at a smaller geometry (28nm) than the existing A5X and will have a quad-core CPU. This will result in improved performance with lower power consumption. The iPhone has no need for the same amount of graphical prowess as the iPad since it has nowhere near the same resolution.
  • Reply 64 of 181
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Read my post. The screen size is feature phone size, obviously the phone itself is not a feature phone.

And if you look at the sales figures you'll see Android is demolishing the iPhone now. Surely Apple want to stop that, and preferably they'll do it through nice product design as opposed to patent disputes.

Why even release a new iPhone to any fanfair at all for only LTE and a radio?? upgrade?

My current iPhone is already 4G.
  • Reply 65 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would they move to 4:3 from 3:2? What purpose does a 4:3 screen serve in a phone?

1280x720 is 16:9. All video content from iTunes are in this aspect ratio.
  • Reply 66 of 181
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

There is no way I am upgrading unless I really like the name they give it.

• Reply 67 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Apples in for a surprise if the next IPhone only had a 3.5 inch screen. Sales will be hurt big time as many people will choose to keep their Iphone4 or 3s and not upgrade

Yeah, right.
  • Reply 68 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

LTE radio? Is this the reason for the stock plunge?

Stock fluctuations with AAPL are not based on the numbers, because they effectively face no real competition on the iPhone and iPad front. It's stock manipulators, plain and simple.
  • Reply 69 of 181
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

1280x720 is 16:9. All video content from iTunes are in this aspect ratio.

Ah, apologies; I read that wrong.

Okay, what purpose does 16:9 serve in a phone? That's even worse than 4:3.
  • Reply 70 of 181
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Thanks, but I will stick with my 2+ year old iPhone-4, forever!

There, I fixed it for you.
  • Reply 71 of 181
    I won't see it as a deal breaker if the next iPhone doesn't have a bigger screen. My main reasons for getting it will be 1) Switch to Sprint 2) I want a better camera for photos. I currently have the iPhone 4 with ATT.
  • Reply 72 of 181
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Call me crazy but I like the 3.5" screen size. It works well with one hand. When I need a bigger screen I use my iPad.

So true! I see some of the larger screen phones and wonder how in the heck they get that in their jeans pocket and sit without "crowding the boys" if you're a man. Besides, the compactness is perfect for on hand operation when driving and such. No texting though!
  • Reply 73 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utsava View Post

As other posters have said, a 10% increase in pixel size will still fall in Retina territory (300ppi) and wouldn't end up in resolution fragmentation. Everything would just be 10% bigger. Sure it won't look quite as sharp as the existing iPhone's screen, but it will still be gorgeous and above the new iPads screen (which is below 300ppi).

I think the one thing to remember about all this talk about fragmentation with a larger screen is that Apple DOES have an option if it wants to increase screen size while maintaining pixel density.

They could bump the resolution to 1024•768, the screen density of the previous iPads. If they did that, then no new resolutions would need to be supported.

But I'm more inclined to believe that they'll stick with the current screen and take the hit on ppi.
  • Reply 74 of 181
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think 4.5" is realistic, that's getting to be a mini tablet. I would like a larger screen, I like a slightly larger physical screen real estate.

I think about comments I've seen like this, then I also remember that I've seen plenty of young girls, even without purses, that seem to have no problem dealing with a larger phone.

And I think about all the tiny Asian women I see on the subway holding 4.3" and larger Android devices in one hand. If they can do it then 99.9% of posters here could do it.

Question for the Levis 501 crowd: do you carry a wallet in your pants?

My wallet is about half an inch wider and easily 4 times as thick as your iPhone. Somehow I manage to get that into my pocket every day.
  • Reply 75 of 181
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaioslider View Post

These giant phones with huge screens are ridiculous as phones and too small as tablets. I heard a reviewer on engadget call them phablets, which I hadn't heard before and think it's perfect. Since the dawn of cell phones the goal has been to make them smaller, until recently that is.

I am just basing that screen resolution matters based on my preference and 2 others at work that converted just because of the bigger screen. There are a bunch of people with iphones where I work but Android is just as popular because of the customization and/or screen size (I have only owned iphones). They are not really techies and realize that Android gives them more options for customization. None of the people at workt seem to have that many iphone apps (unlike me) so switching is not a big deal. Everyone has their opinion and what I see does not suggest a more general trend. It is what I am seeing though where I work.

I will be one of them at the end of the year if the screen size doesn't change. I use bluetooth on 95% of the calls I make so the size of the phone against my head is not even something I worry about because I rarely do that. I tested Android tablets (samsung galaxy tablet) but didn't like how quite a few apps that I wanted either crashed or didn't work on it properly. Apps are a big deal for the tablet market to me. For phones though apps are not as big of a deal. Screen size and customization are way more important to me. If I get at least a bigger screen I will still be happy and stay apple on the phone.
  • Reply 76 of 181
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post

So true! I see some of the larger screen phones and wonder how in the heck they get that in their jeans pocket and sit without "crowding the boys" if you're a man. Besides, the compactness is perfect for on hand operation when driving and such. No texting though!

I look forward to the day when your eyes can no longer read the 6 point text that so many iPhone developers like to use. Maybe then you'll understand those of us who want a larger screen size.

And put that phone away when you're driving. A car/truck/SUV is a deadly weapon and if you aren't going to be responsible you shouldn't be allowed to operate it.
  • Reply 77 of 181
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

Bye Bye and fare well. No big loss to the ever growing rest of us.
  • Reply 78 of 181
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I look forward to the day when your eyes can no longer read the 6 point text that so many iPhone developers like to use. Maybe then you'll understand those of us who want a larger screen size.

And you really think they'll make text appreciably bigger on a larger screen?
  • Reply 79 of 181
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    If the iPad 3 is any indication, I believe they will need to go to a larger form factor to accommodate a larger battery required to power LTE. Since the form factor will be larger, they will upgrade the screen accordingly.
  • Reply 80 of 181
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Read my post. The screen size is feature phone size, obviously the phone itself is not a feature phone.

And if you look at the sales figures you'll see Android is demolishing the iPhone now. Surely Apple want to stop that, and preferably they'll do it through nice product design as opposed to patent disputes.

What phone bested Apple's 37m last quarter? If I recall Samsung shipped 35m. And when it comes to being profitable in the phone space no one comes close to Apple. Samsung, Motorola and HTC can throw a bazillion phones out there to obtain high market share but Apple will enjoy the lions share of the profits.