Tech behind new iPad's color quality attributed to 30% increase in power usage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Reading some of the posts on the apple centric blog sites seems to highlight the worldwide problem that I like to call early adopters (or most likely, jealous bastard can't afford one so will make shit up about it) munchausen's syndrome.

Typified by comments such as:

It overheats and I can fry eggs on it

There are hundreds of dead pixels

It's yellow

It's pink

Light bleeds

The battery runs out in 5 minutes

The wifi reception seems weaker

it uses more data

Etc etc.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    donw35donw35 Posts: 30member
    My wife and I have been using our iPads all week, hers is an iPad (1st) mine is the (3rd) and with about the same usage both seem to be about the same with the new iPad with a little lower battery life at the end of the evening.

the real test for me is watching movies on the plane, my average flight is 5 to 6 hours and I watch movies the entire time.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I'm going to head over to a nearby Apple store to compare iPad 3 screens. Mine is a bit warmer than I'd like and if I don't hold it just right, the viewing angle amplifies this effect. I'll be comparing brightness and coolness.

Also, I read an interesting article in the WSJ explaining that some apps (such as the WSJ) use a custom font that will appear fuzzy on the new iPad 3. They are working on an update to fix this issue.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I'm going to head over to a nearby Apple store to compare iPad 3 screens. Mine is a bit warmer than I'd like and if I don't hold it just right, the viewing angle amplifies this effect. I'll be comparing brightness and coolness.

Also, I read an interesting article in the WSJ explaining that some apps (such as the WSJ) use a custom font that will appear fuzzy on the new iPad 3. They are working on an update to fix this issue.

Most all fonts and graphics on iPad apps that had not been updated are fuzzy. Even the apple insider logos and graphics show the same amount of blur. Call it the curse of the early adopters, but it can be quite annoying!
  • Reply 25 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    So this thing is not only super HD, it has pro level color reproduction? Excuse me while I go sync my photos on to it.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...This doesn't mean 30% longer battery life as we're talking about the power usage of the display, not the GPU, not the CPU, the backlight [SIC], or anything else.

From TFA: ... less light is getting through the improved filters and thus more LEDs or more powerful units are needed to compensate...

IOW, it is the backlight. Filters consume no power. You simply need more light to get through them, which is one of the reasons why an iPad (3) has twice as many LEDs in the display.

You also need more LEDs because the pixels are smaller, and more space in the display is dedicated to control runs.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously this is the same as any other lighted device, more brightness means more power.

Yes, yes, it's common sense. But it's happening in an Apple device, which makes it a scandal.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post

SUPER interesting article. Idk about you guys, but I am still drooling at my retina display wallpaper on my home screen. I'll give up " longer battery life" for the improved spectrum of colors. It looks like lit up paper pretty much. SUPER sweet!!!

No kidding! I LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE my new and first iPad! I have not compared it to an iPad 2 display yet so I am very spoiled. I can't get over how much I LOVE this thing.

LOVE
  • Reply 29 of 42
    I do notice a dead black pixel on the bottom 1/6th of the display in the center. Its noticable when i am looking for it and it appears to be a piece of dust that cannot be removed. This is not a huge problem for me, but I would like to know if others are experiencing this also. I will try to massage it out and keep you guys updated.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

No kidding! I LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE my new and first iPad! I have not compared it to an iPad 2 display yet so I am very spoiled. I can't get over how much I LOVE this thing.

LOVE

You're suppose to buy Apple products and then hate then hate them this way people know you're objective.

Quote:

I do notice a dead black pixel on the bottom 1/6th of the display in the center. Its noticable when i am looking for it and it appears to be a piece of dust that cannot be removed. This is not a huge problem for me, but I would like to know if others are experiencing this also. I will try to massage it out and keep you guys updated.

I'm thinking it's dust because a single pixel would be very hard to see. I would get a rereplacement ASAP.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

I had a dead pixel in the same place! What I did was pick at it for a few minutes with a sharp tweezer and eventually I fixed it! Let me know if that works for you.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

You're suppose to buy Apple products and then hate then hate them this way people know you're objective.

I'm thinking it's dust because a single pixel would be very hard to see. I would get a rereplacement ASAP.

It does look like a piece of dust. So Apple will replace it no questions asked? What I be able to upgrade to the 64 GB model if they're going to replace it anyway, if I were to pay the additional cost?
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I had a dead pixel in the same place! What I did was pick at it for a few minutes with a sharp tweezer and eventually I fixed it! Let me know if that works for you.

• Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

Is it okay to use your masturbation tweezers for this task?

Quote:

It does look like a piece of dust. So Apple will replace it no questions asked?

Sure. Remember that you have 2 weeks (at least in the US) to return the device for a full refund without a restocking fee so if they won't you could always go that route... but because they have that policy they won't.

I dropped my iPad 2, twice, breaking the glass both times my fault and they replaced them for free so I am sure a factory defect that reduces the user experience is something they will cover.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Try it, it worked!
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

Try it, it worked!

Are you being serious? How is he suppose to get tweezers under the glass to get to the dust?
  • Reply 37 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Are you being serious? How is he suppose to get tweezers under the glass to get to the dust?

You can sometimes unstick stuck pixels by tapping on the glass. I doubt there's actually dust under the screen, that's just what stuck pixels look like at very high res.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ch2co View Post

No way to turn this feature on or off? Most of the time I would rather have 30% longer battery life.

Heck no. I breathe every watt of pure Retina rich-coloured goodness.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Yep, just hit settings, general, then you have to draw three figure 8 patterns on the screen which will unlock the easter-egg that will reveal the video quality settings.

My battery life went up by like 8 hours! Crazy!

Yeah that turns off the 3.5 out of 4 cores of GPU so you're only running at half a core, and de-Retinises the display to run at 640x480 pixels. It also turns on a small mass effect field to make the battery have 10% more mass in the same space. You can tell where my mind is at. Carry on.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Try it, it worked!

Stuck pixel? maybe. This is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard, though.

Dead pixels are dead, and there's nothing to be done about that.