Combination of iPad 4G LTE & data caps characterized as a 'speed trap'

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 131
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

... I have an unlimited data plan. I don't have to worry about watching anything except maybe a letter asking me if I could keep my downloading under a terabyte, A letter which I have received by the way, it was last November. ...

But wait! Haven't you read all of the posts which clearly explain how that is technically and economically impossible??
  • Reply 122 of 131
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So where're all the people that said LTE wouldn't make you inherently use more data? I seem to remember people saying that.

Does it hold a gun to ones head and say "use more data"? no. I'm sure the guy that watched 2 hours of live streaming video never did so on 3G. If you know you have a data cap you wouldnt do that.
  • Reply 123 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Does it hold a gun to ones head and say "use more data"? no. I'm sure the guy that watched 2 hours of live streaming video never did so on 3G. If you know you have a data cap you wouldnt do that.

The line you're trying to draw between personal responsibility and device capability is in crayon on metal, I think.
  • Reply 124 of 131
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So after looking at every data plan from every US carrier it seems that 10GB is about the largest data plan you can get and that costs $80 a month. I could probably get away with only using 50 GB a month if I really cut back so adding another 40 GB with say Verizon would cost me an extra $327.00 bringing the total to $407.00 for my monthly bill.

Man I am so happy I live in a country that only charges me $55.00 a month for an unlimited data contract. That being said though I would gladly pay the 400 if I lived in the states as I couldn't live with only 10 GB a month. What ever happened to the unlimited contract in the states and why is there only 10 GB plans and 30 GB or 60 GB. Especially now with the iPad it's like the carriers are torturing you poor people.
  • Reply 125 of 131
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OK, how did you do it? Logging into a user account on AT&T's site certainly isn't efficient.

It doesn't really tell you how much you have left but it does tell you how much you have used. You have to do the math according to your plan.

On your iPhone go to:

Settings>General>Usage>Cellular Usage
  • Reply 126 of 131
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Man I am so happy I live in a country that only charges me $55.00 a month for an unlimited data contract. That being said though I would gladly pay the 400 if I lived in the states as I couldn't live with only 10 GB a month. What ever happened to the unlimited contract in the states and why is there only 10 GB plans and 30 GB or 60 GB. Especially now with the iPad it's like the carriers are torturing you poor people.

Man, I am so happy that I don't measure the degree of my happiness by how much a data plan costs.

I'm actually pretty familiar how the EU system works as far as billing minutes and data is concerned and I could never get away with only having a cellphone (and no landline) outside of the U.S., considering how many minutes and how much data I use each month. Unless you have family in Euroland, most Americans have no reason to study the difference, but I can tell you that we have become so spoiled here with what is comparatively speaking relatively inexpensive cellular bills.
  • Reply 127 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It doesn't really tell you how much you have left but it does tell you how much you have used. You have to do the math according to your plan.

On your iPhone go to:

Settings>General>Usage>Cellular Usage

That figure seems to be the cumulative. I know for certain I didn't use 10GB of data in the last month, AT&T's web site gives me figures in the 100MB range for most months.
  • Reply 128 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That figure seems to be the cumulative. I know for certain I didn't use 10GB of data in the last month, AT&T's web site gives me figures in the 100MB range for most months.

Wow, how do you manage that? 60 min. of surfing and I'm already at 500mb.
  • Reply 129 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Wow, how do you manage that? 60 min. of surfing and I'm already at 500mb.

WiFi at home and work, and even at stops in between. I usually don't play video on the go.
  • Reply 130 of 131
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    According to Localytics you're pretty typical. While the newest iPad is certainly popular, the 4G version isn't getting the same love. Reportedly only 6% of iPad sessions are over a cellular connection. IMO no surprise that another report claims the WiFi only version is outselling the 4G model almost 10-1.
  • Reply 131 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to Localytics you're pretty typical. While the newest iPad is certainly popular, the 4G version isn't getting the same love. Reportedly only 6% of iPad sessions are over a cellular connection. IMO no surprise that another report claims the WiFi only version is outselling the 4G model almost 10-1.

Makes sense as it's very easy to use the Hotspot feature on modern phones when needed. However I think some of you have to pay for such a privilege. I think the U.S. carriers are some of very greedy people.