83-year-old woman sues Apple after walking into glass retail store door

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

An octogenarian has filed a legal complaint against Apple after she broke her nose on the doors of the Manhasset Apple Store in Long Island.

Evelyn Paswall is suing Apple for $1 million for negligence because she crashed into a glass door at one of the company's retail locations, reports CBS New York ( The Next Web).

The plaintiff said she had no idea a glass wall was in her way as she walked up to the store, and the resulting collision broke her nose. Derek T. Smith, Paswall's attorney, said his client, who is 83 years old, "sees well, but she did not see any glass."

“Apple wants to be cool and modern and have the type of architecture that would appeal to the tech crowd, but on the other hand, they have to appreciate the danger that this high-tech modern architecture poses to some people,” Smith said, told The New York Post.

The lawsuit alleges that Apple was negligent because it did not provide "proper warning" for its glass walls and doors. According to the report, the company has since posted warning strips on the glass of its Manhasset Store. Apple placed warning stickers on some of the glass display windows at its retail stores after similar incidents occurred.

The glass fronts at the company's brick-and-mortar stores have also provided criminals with opportunities to perform "smash and grab" burglaries at some locations. More than a dozen stores have been broken into in recent years.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 160
    iridiumiridium Posts: 13member
    Evelyn ? The mother of Charlie Harper ?

That's for tuning up your wheelchair and racing into an apple store...

Probably trying to get some money out of a "smash and grab" run which went wrong...

• Reply 2 of 160
    ewiz77ewiz77 Posts: 6member
    this is a joke.
  • Reply 3 of 160
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Regardless of the lack of merit, Apple will settle out of court. Nobody wants to look like they are picking on a little old lady. No matter how justified Apple would be to fight it, little old ladies are always right.
  • Reply 4 of 160
    she may be a great mother, greatgrandmother, teacher, patient cookie maker, reader of books to kids, the blind, petowner of highest principle..

but this story makes me feel she is a greedy witch of dubious character and a wretched example of aging too slowly
  • Reply 5 of 160
    Only in America could this happen

If you can see through it, its probably glass.
  • Reply 6 of 160
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    she broke her nose and she asks 1 million?

1 million????

1 million???

really? 1 million???

even 1000 dollars would be too much!

1 million? lol
  • Reply 7 of 160
    Actually, I don't think this claim is entirely without merit.

A clean plate-glass window that has no visible frame and goes from ground to ceiling is, essentially, invisible. I've walked into such things before, albeit with no after effects beyond bruised pride, and I'm no dunce about modern architecture (it was my first choice of career).

In the UK, such plate-glass 'walls' generally have patterns or lines etched into them at approximately eye-level so that there is, at close quarters, a visual barrier which prevents most if not all people colliding with them.

Apple undoubtedly has third-party liability insurance for this sort of event and it will almost certainly settle long before the case comes to a formal hearing. That doesn't mean that the 'little old lady' is taking them for a ride though. She was injured and the injury was something that could have been foreseen and prevented with a small amount of care and forethought.

It's not a joke, and it's not an 'only in America' thing either. I'm one of Apple's biggest fans (I've spent ungodly amounts of money on Apple kit!) and I'm still capable of seeing that she has genuine cause here. The $1m is a lawyer's starting-pistol it's not her ultimate game plan, I'm sure. I dare say she'll settle for a fraction of that. After all, broken noses cost money to fix! I'd say it will probably be settled for the cost of her treatment, plus a reasonable sum for inconvenience, pain and distress, so probably treatment plus $25k maybe. And we'll probably never know, since it'll be tidied up nicely in a confidentiality agreement!
  • Reply 8 of 160
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    I said this before and I'll say it again... only in America where you can sue someone when the "wrong-doing"" is partly your own and assume zero responsibility. I like to know how fast was she walking to break the nose??? Apple should apologized and pay for the medical but 1-million??? Complete overkill... this thing sounds like someone is bored and wants attention. Maybe we should have a reality show based on this kind of thing, there would be no shortage of drama and greedy....it's perfect!
  • Reply 9 of 160
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

A clean plate-glass window that has no visible frame and goes from ground to ceiling is, essentially, invisible. I've walked into such things before, albeit with no after effects beyond bruised pride, and I'm no dunce about modern architecture (it was my first choice of career).

In the UK, such plate-glass 'walls' generally have patterns or lines etched into them at approximately eye-level so that there is, at close quarters, a visual barrier which prevents most if not all people colliding with them.

Apple undoubtedly has third-party liability insurance for this sort of event and it will almost certainly settle long before the case comes to a formal hearing. That doesn't mean that the 'little old lady' is taking them for a ride though. She was injured and the injury was something that could have been foreseen and prevented with a small amount of care and forethought.

It's not a joke, and it's not an 'only in America' thing either. I'm one of Apple's biggest fans (I've spent ungodly amounts of money on Apple kit!) and I'm still capable of seeing that she has genuine cause here. The $1m is a lawyer's starting-pistol it's not her ultimate game plan, I'm sure. I dare say she'll settle for a fraction of that. After all, broken noses cost money to fix! I'd say it will probably be settled for the cost of her treatment, plus a reasonable sum for inconvenience, pain and distress, so probably treatment plus $25k maybe. And we'll probably never know, since it'll be tidied up nicely in a confidentiality agreement!

There are very obvious labels on the glass. This woman is just stupid and should be embarrassed rather than angry.
  • Reply 10 of 160
    Pinocchio comes to mind!
  • Reply 11 of 160
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:

sorry, you have a problem if you believe this is worth a car.
  • Reply 12 of 160
    Wasn't the big door handle some type of indication there was a door?
  • Reply 13 of 160
    Number of accident for lack of visual indication of glass doors / number of visitors in Apple store NOT hitting the glass door => proof visual indication already in place is plenty enough since this occurs soooooooo rarely.

Statistically, there might be more heart attack occurring in Apple Stores than people hitting the glass door. Should people attack Apple for a this ?
  • Reply 14 of 160
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

she broke her nose and she asks 1 million?

1 million????

1 million???

really? 1 million???

even 1000 dollars would be too much!

1 million? lol

The broken nose put a sudden end to her intentions to become Miss Universe.
  • Reply 15 of 160
    Macroumers reported many hours back

And they sid its 83 not 80
  • Reply 16 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Numbuh One View Post

Wasn't the big door handle some type of indication there was a door?

You would think right?

It's just plane stupidity and not paying attention - I chalk this up to the level of the lady that put the McDonald's coffee between the legs and sued them because it was hot and burned her... well, you know. Idiots....

Also, Macrumors posted a picture showing the glass, that clearly has white markers along the whole glass at eye level.
  • Reply 17 of 160
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Just when I think Americans can't get any dumber. We are so lazy in this country and nothing is ever our fault. How fast could she have possibly been walking and how forward was she leaning to have hit her nose on the door first and to have broken it? I hope she doesn't get a dollar out of this. Or maybe, it would be even better to pay her one dollar less than whatever fees she is having to pay for legal representation.

There's an episode of Justice League Unlimited where John Stewart is standing trial on an alien world and the judges say that they solved their lawyer problem by forcing the lawyers to adhere to the same penalty of their clients if they lost. In some cases, this would be one of the best things that could ever happened to this country.
  • Reply 18 of 160
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ewiz77 View Post

this is a joke.

This is a put up job by her daughter I bet to grab more money for her mother. Manhasset is a rich area in Long Island and she should be ashamed of herself meaning the daughter.
  • Reply 19 of 160
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:

Bruised pride. You had it there. The glass is marked and the doors are not 100% glass.
  • Reply 20 of 160
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Look at all of the videos online of people not paying attention and walking into a glass door. The normal reaction is you quickly look around to see noticed. Then you pick yourself up and immediately slink out, thinking, "How embarrassing. I sure hope no one saw that... crap, my nose hurts".