Apple rumored to change default Chinese iPhone search from Google to Baidu

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

An upcoming update to iOS will add support for China's Baidu search engine, with some reports indicating that Apple will shift the iPhone's default search from Google.

The development was reported by Sina Technology News (), which cited Baidu general manager Li Mingyuan as stating that Baidu and Apple had "reached a comprehensive cooperation agreement in the Chinese market."

Apple's upcoming OS X Mountain Lion will feature support for a variety of Chinese Internet services, including Mail, Contact and Calendar support for QQ, 163, and 126; Safari search using Baidu; Sheet Sharing support for video sharing services Youku and Tudou and Twitter-like microblogging support for Sina weibo.

An upcoming release of iOS, reported by Sina to occur in April, will bring support for Baidu search. Apple currently supports Yahoo and Bing search but defaults to Google. In China, Baidu is overwhelmingly popular for search, making it likely that Apple would make it the default search engine (as depicted below).

Google's own Android is widely used in China, but around 80 percent of hardware makers there use Baidu rather than Google, according to Baidu's VP of technology Wang Jin. Baidu owns about 78 percent of the entire search market in China, compared to Google's 16.7 share.

Apple's chief executive Tim Cook was spotted in Beijing, believed to be negotiating a carrier agreement with China Mobile and in discussions with its existing carrier partners China Unicom and China Telecom involving the next release of iPhone.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    How do you get Airplane mode and WIFI at the same time in that screen shot?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Good Catch ! I wanna know too!
  • Reply 3 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Step 1: Enable Airplane Mode

Step 2: Enable WiFi

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit
  • Reply 4 of 33

Google is Doomed!
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:

Have you used iOS before?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    With Baidu the leading Chinese search provider I'd be more surprised if Apple didn't offer them as the default search engine
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Have you used iOS before?

Eh...have you? The whole point of Airplane mode is to turn off all the radios. I guess you can just renable the Wifi by itself.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I never would have thought of that. Good to know. But like the other poster asked. Why? Doesn't it seem to be contrary to having an Airplane mode?

I'm in Airplane mode but have both Bluetooth and WiFi on so it only really affects the phone.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Does anybody know if China will be getting 'FacePlantTime', that new video-conference technology introduced by that 80 year old woman recently?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Eh...have you? The whole point of Airplane mode is to turn off all the radios. I guess you can just renable the Wifi by itself.

Quote:

I never would have thought of that. Good to know. But like the other poster asked. Why? Doesn't it seem to be contrary to having an Airplane mode?

Sure, it's not obvious but I'm thinking the "Have you used iOS before?" comment is because this feature has been around for years. I think I first discovered it in iPhone 2.x or iOS 3.x.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Yup, go for it Apple. To your own be true and honest. To thine enemy, attack from as many angles as possible. And don't leave a dead horse unbeaten.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

I'm in Airplane mode but have both Bluetooth and WiFi on so it only really affects the phone.

Say you're on a plane that has on-board wifi, but they don't allow cell signals to be on. Also, if you had any Bluetooth accessories you needed to use as well, you can, and those wifi and Bluetooth signals don't really affect the plane in any meaningful way.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

• Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

Sure, it's not obvious but I'm thinking the "Have you used iOS before?" comment is because this feature has been around for years. I think I first discovered it in iPhone 2.x or iOS 3.x.

I never knew for a long time that the flashing seat belt indicator in my car would eventually stop blinking too. I habitually follow the rules I guess.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

I never knew for a long time that the flashing seat belt indicator in my car would eventually stop blinking too. I habitually follow the rules I guess.

Do you know there is a plug under the seat that will diengauge the system? This is especially useful if you like to place heavy objects on your passenger seat and it thinks there is a person sitting there so it incessantly reminds you that they need to fasten their seatbelt.

<Insert "The More You Know" or GI Joe images>
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

Yes exactly. This is how you're supposed to use inflight wifi. Airplane mode is supposed to mean keeping the cellular radio off for the (alleged) interference.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Do you know there is a plug under the seat that will diengauge the system? This is especially useful if you like to place heavy objects on your passenger seat and it thinks there is a person sitting there so it incessantly reminds you that they need to fasten their seatbelt. ...

For such a smart person you sure hand out some dumb advice at times.

Disengaging the seatbelt warning is a horrible and potentially very dangerous suggestion. Even if, (as in the case you quote), you have a heavy object on the front seat, if it's heavy enough to trip the sensor, then that object should be belted in anyway. The seatbelt is there as much to stop objects in the front seat (typically a person), from becoming a projectile and killing someone outside the car as it is for the protection of the object the person in the seat. Any heavy objects in the front seat should be secured.

There's also the back seat (a much wiser choice), and the trunk, (a much wiser choice than even the back seat).

Suggesting that someone routinely disengage the seat belt warning when they need to carry large unsecured heavy objects in the front seat is insane advice IMO.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

For such a smart person you sure hand out some dumb advice at times.

Or am I dumb person who can hand out sage advice at times.

Quote:

Disengaging the seatbelt warning is a horrible and potentially very dangerous suggestion. Even if, (as in the case you quote), you have a heavy object on the front seat, if it's heavy enough to trip the sensor, then that object should be belted in anyway. The seatbelt is there as much to stop objects in the front seat (typically a person), from becoming a projectile and killing someone outside the car as it is for the protection of the object the person in the seat. Any heavy objects in the front seat should be secured.

I see your point but I don't think you've considered every circumstance

Quote:

There's also the back seat (a much wiser choice), and the trunk, (a much wiser choice than even the back seat).

We don't all have backseats. And some of us keep our trunks filled with homemade napalm or corn chips.

Quote:

Suggesting that someone routinely disengage the seat belt warning when they need to carry large unsecured heavy objects in the front seat is insane advice IMO.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that everyone should turn off all their safety equipment. It's possible that an object has been secured, just not with the seat belt designed to secure a person.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Wow, talk about derailing a thread quickly!

I am glad to see this. ... Anything Apple can do to disengage Goole is good news IMHO. I wish Apple would hurry up with the deployment of the technology they bought originally developed by SAAB for 3d terrain and mapping.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Yes exactly. This is how you're supposed to use inflight wifi. Airplane mode is supposed to mean keeping the cellular radio off for the (alleged) interference.

I suppose if I ever had the availability of inflight wifi I would have discovered this, but I have not and I don't have a BT keyboard for my iPad either so the thought never occurred to me.