Apple rumored to change default Chinese iPhone search from Google to Baidu

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow, talk about derailing a thread quickly! :lol

I am glad to see this. I wish Apple would hurry up with the deployment of the technology they bought originally developed by SAAB for 3d terrain and mapping.

Ok sorry. How about them Baidu searching options? Great addition for those of us who have inflight wifi on a trip to China.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Ok sorry. How about them Baidu searching options? Great addition for those of us who have inflight wifi on a trip to China.

Made my day!
  • Reply 23 of 33
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

How do you get Airplane mode and WIFI at the same time in that screen shot?

Wha? Do you guys have iPhones?

Turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi. This is what you do when you travel with your phone. You really didn't know this?
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:

I never would have thought of that. Good to know. But like the other poster asked. Why? Doesn't it seem to be contrary to having an Airplane mode?

I'm in Airplane mode but have both Bluetooth and WiFi on so it only really affects the phone.

Turns your iPhone into an iPod touch. Very useful when you dont want to get phone calls or text messages, or use battery. Travel.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi. This is what you do when you travel with your phone. You really didn't know this?

Didn't read the thread I see.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

For such a smart person you sure hand out some dumb advice at times.

Disengaging the seatbelt warning is a horrible and potentially very dangerous suggestion. Even if, (as in the case you quote), you have a heavy object on the front seat, if it's heavy enough to trip the sensor, then that object should be belted in anyway. The seatbelt is there as much to stop objects in the front seat (typically a person), from becoming a projectile and killing someone outside the car as it is for the protection of the object the person in the seat. Any heavy objects in the front seat should be secured.

There's also the back seat (a much wiser choice), and the trunk, (a much wiser choice than even the back seat).

Suggesting that someone routinely disengage the seat belt warning when they need to carry large unsecured heavy objects in the front seat is insane advice IMO.

I think it is false to claim that seatbelts exist as much to protect people outside for potentially lethal flying objects. It's more of an afterthought. Also, I am not sure it is safer to place heavy objects in the back seat. Drivers and front seat passengers often get killed by heavy blows to the back of the head in car accidents. The trunk is probably safest.

As for turning that horrid bleeping off, I for one think it's a great idea. It drives me to distraction and makes me drive eratically. I can't wear seatbelts because it makes it too hard to whack my kids fighting in the back. . But seriously, I'd love to turn that pesky sound off. But I'll be sure to add a disclaimer. I'll print out Solips' post and stick it to the unplugged wire.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Didn't read the thread I see.

Sorry no, I didn't read the whole thread before I replied I figured once two people had asked the same question I could answer it.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

With Baidu the leading Chinese search provider I'd be more surprised if Apple didn't offer them as the default search engine

My thoughts exactly
  • Reply 29 of 33
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

I don't do that, cause my boss covered half the cost for me to buy an Apple unlock phone so I can swap sims when we shoot out of country

But I knew you could do it
  • Reply 30 of 33
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An upcoming update to iOS will add support for China's Baidu search engine, with some reports indicating that Apple will shift the iPhone's default search from Google.

That's fine with me. In fact, I'd be happy if Apple made Bing or Yahoo the default everywhere.

Quote:

How do you get Airplane mode and WIFI at the same time in that screen shot?

The normal procedure is that you should learn something about a subject before posting.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The normal procedure is that you should learn something about a subject before posting.

That has never stopped you.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

Sorry no, I didn't read the whole thread before I replied I figured once two people had asked the same question I could answer it.

AI should change the topic title and have done with it!
  • Reply 33 of 33
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

That has never stopped you.

Funny, I'm not the one asking how you can get airplane mode and WiFi active on an iPhone at the same time.