Mike Daisey apologizes for his exaggerations and falsehoods involving Apple in China

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    kavokkavok Posts: 51member
    How is it that people still pay good money to go see this buffoon? How good can a one-man show on the supposed malicious nature of Apple and Steve Jobs actually be? I just don't get it. If people would stop going to drivel like this, the man would be a nobody.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Did they hurt your feelings, tubby?

lol delicious !
  • Reply 23 of 63
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    This Waltzing Daisey should undertake a hundred day fast to cleans his soul and show his sincerity, in full public view at some park where honest observers can cast sour fruit and scornful laughter. Well, maybe not the fruit. That would be too tempting and shorten the show.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    I believe his apology is just another of his infamous attempt at extending his fame. The more we bark, the better his PR becomes. Ignore him and his fame and PR will vanish.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iandanger View Post

The tone of the replies thus far makes the Apple community look petty, reactionary, and tone deaf. Yelling about his weight does nothing to prove your point, and makes you look like a sad, pedantic troll. Drop the ad hominem bullshit. Address the issue of dishonesty, move on, stop acting like sad little children.

I hear you. Sometimes all it takes is for one or two people to be dicks and the crowd mentality kicks in.

I actually am concerned with all the overweight problems we have in the U.S. but I'm often more concerned with the asshole problem we have.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

People still believe him?and still boycott Apple as a result. His show is still billed as fact, and the made-up incidents still move people.

Those people (who I have met in fact) then go on to buy Chinese-made electronics from some other company instead. A company that doesn?t do nearly what Apple does to improve these issues.

Nice work.

And none of the press coverage on this situation EVER seems to mention that these are NOT Apple problems (even the ones that are real) but problems of ALL companies manufacturing in China. Everyone but Apple still gets off the hook. And no comparison is made between Apple and other companies.

So even people who DO understand that Daisey lied still think Apple is worse than other Chinese-sourced goods.

Makes me think of the AMazing Randi - http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

he got start debunking frauds many years ago - and despite showing a religious-fraud's congregation exactly how they were being fooled by the guy - instead of thanking Randi - they ran Randi out of town - and the fraud is (or at least was then) still in business.

I realize the paranormal is unrelated - but Randi setup a $1 million dollar challenge for anyone who could demonstrate irrefutable paranormal abilities under scientifically controlled conditions - when I first heard about it not a single person had come forward to attempt to claim the prize - the website has lots of folks who have since applied - and the back and forth negations of the testing conditions - I have not read all of them - but so far the ones I have read had all concluded with the application being withdrawn without any test ever being conducted.

if memory serves - my favorite quote from Randi is along the lines of - "if he really is bending that spoon with his mind he should call me because I can show him a much easier way"
  • Reply 27 of 63
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Sorry for the harshness of this post, but I think Apple and Tim Cook should sue the living crap out of this blowhard moron to make sure such lies and distortions are never "free" for someone like him ever again. Punch him in the pocketbook hard and mercilessly. He'll think twice next time before baselessly defaming someone who cannot answer back.

Why give him the attention. It's what he feeds off like any troll.

Better to put out a call to arms for folks to boycott all shows at any theatre that books him. Cut off the snakes head by making it cost the theatres to support him
  • Reply 28 of 63
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Why give him the attention. It's what he feeds off like any troll.

Better to put out a call to arms for folks to boycott all shows at any theatre that books him. Cut off the snakes head by making it cost the theatres to support him

That's exactly right. He's happy to be getting any and all media exposure he can right now, his livelihood is dependent on exposure. Let's try to make sure his exposure is as negative as possible so people stop going to his stupid "artistic" shows. He does not deserve to be making money off this. What a jerk.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite his apologies to audiences, the theater, journalists and human rights workers, Daisey is still unapologetically selling tickets to his show.

It's been known for quite some time that it's not necessary to be truthful to draw an audience. Just look at faux news.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by landanger

The tone of the replies thus far makes the Apple community look petty, reactionary, and tone deaf. Yelling about his weight does nothing to prove your point, and makes you look like a sad, pedantic troll. Drop the ad hominem bullshit. Address the issue of dishonesty, move on, stop acting like sad little children.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I hear you. Sometimes all it takes is for one or two people to be dicks and the crowd mentality kicks in.

I actually am concerned with all the overweight problems we have in the U.S. but I'm often more concerned with the asshole problem we have.

At the time of his post, Doctor, I was the only one that said anything about weight when I called him a Fatass SOB

What worries me here in the US is the "how dare you" mentality we have developed over the past couple of decades. Facts are facts and when those are suppressed, just like the person we are all commenting on no good comes of it.

I stick by my personal assessment of the photograph provided. His mother may not have deserved my criticism - but I doubt that was your point.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Not surprisingly, it appears Daisey's off-Broadway show has been yanked. (hooray)

http://www.publictheater.org/

http://www.publictheater.org/images/...sstatement.pdf
  • Reply 32 of 63
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Sheesh, some of you people need to chill out. The guy lied, he should be held accountable. If there is a legal recourse for this it should be taken. Enough with the slurs against him directly. Call him a liar, call him unethical, call him a jerk, but don't go further than that. You make yourselves look like bigots. You know who you are...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iandanger View Post

If all it takes for evil men to succeed is for good men to stand by idle, then what kind of fool would go even further to defend them?

And here is no lie or embellishment: The guy is actually fat.

So all descriptions that refer to him this way are, unlike Mike Daisy, factually correct.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Mr Daisey, you don't need to eat any humble pie; try a special diet of rational objectivity and facts.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Not surprisingly, it appears Daisey's off-Broadway show has been yanked. (hooray)

http://www.publictheater.org/

http://www.publictheater.org/images/...sstatement.pdf

Has the run actually been cancelled? The public statement from the theater director offers apologies, but the main page doesn't seem to have any information, beyond still listing it in their "current season" lineup. Is it possible that it simply finished its run?
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Daisey's lying sucked in a bunch of tree-huggers that demonstrated around the USA at Apple stores hepped up on his lies. He needs to spend a year in "the Big House" where he can find out first hand how bad things can be. It's fitting justice then that no one would believe him if Bubba makes him a wife.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

My favorite part:

I will look closer, be more patient, and listen more clearly.

Like any of the above would keep him from lying.

Maybe got an offer he couldn't refuse from Apple Legal.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    He does look like a younger vserion of Limbaugh doesn't he

That about sums this douchebag up eh... Just imagine some woman finds this guy attractive ughhh...
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

At the time of his post, Doctor, I was the only one that said anything about weight when I called him a Fatass SOB

What worries me here in the US is the "how dare you" mentality we have developed over the past couple of decades. Facts are facts and when those are suppressed, just like the person we are all commenting on no good comes of it.

I stick by my personal assessment of the photograph provided. His mother may not have deserved my criticism - but I doubt that was your point.

I'm all for facts. The guy has a weight problem. But I don't think we should be dicks about it even though he lied through his teeth about something. He used lies to bully people into seeing his show, and the bully is often the last to know they are the bully. I don't think we should return the bully favor. Take the higher ground.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I'm all for facts. The guy has a weight problem. But I don't think we should be dicks about it even though he lied through his teeth about something. He used lies to bully people into seeing his show, and the bully is often the last to know they are the bully. I don't think we should return the bully favor. Take the higher ground.

Good Point!! But he is rather rotund isn't he.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    This lying fk has been charging $70 and $80 dollars a ticket to his one man show. He in fact is the one who has been exploiting Chinese workers! Regardless of his weight, he is a sensationalist, a profiteer, and a disgusting human being.