Apple invites 25 billionth app download winner to collect prize in Beijing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple flew contest winner Chunli Fu to the company's headquarters in Beijing to collect her $10,000 Apple Store gift card for downloading the 25 billionth app from the iTunes App Store.

After being announced the winner earlier in March, Fu last week received the promised $10,000 gift card in person at Apple's Beijing corporate headquarters that is some 400 miles away from her home city of Qingdao, China, reports M.I.C. Gadget..

Previous to winning with a download of the free version of Disney's "Where's My Water?" app, Fu was not a dedicated Apple fan and only owned her iPhone for about one month.

Now referred to as the "Apple girl" by the Chinese media, Fu wasn't aware of the contest and though that Apple's initial congratulatory calls were pranks. Only after receiving an email from Apple Inc. did Fu believe what her friends had been telling her.

Fu took her $10,000 in credit to the Apple Store in Sanlitun where she browsed various products and was photographed inspecting a MacBook Pro. It is unclear what, if anything, Fu purchased.

Chunli Fu browses products at the Sanlitun Apple Store in China with the $10,000 gift card (left). | Source: M.I.C. Gadget

China has become Apple's most important market outside of the U.S. as a burgeoning middle class take an increasing interest in the company's products.

It was reported on Monday that Apple CEO Tim Cook was in China engaging in talks with officials over undisclosed topics, though insiders say that he is there primarily to discuss a next-generation iPhone.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Now that's one pretty girl! After shopping, I understand she bought a Proview iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    FYI: Tim Cook was in China to award a $10,000 Apple gift card to the judge in the Proview dustup.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Based on the iPad in the lower-left corner, I guess Proview didn't demand the iPad Police confiscate those from actual Apple stores just yet.

Other than that, she's one classy gal!!
  • Reply 4 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Based on the iPad in the lower-left corner, I guess Proview didn't demand the iPad Police confiscate those from actual Apple stores just yet.

Those are the in-store kiosks. Using the demo app you can browse a digital catalogue and also summon a sales rep to your station for help with purchasing. I recently used the system at the Apple Store. It said I was 2nd in the queue for assistance. Then a sales person came up and greeted me within a couple minutes.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    I read something about class from another poster here...

What middle class in China, are you bs-ing us? In China it's the upper class and the dirt poor. The slave girls at Foxconn who ve never even played around with an iPad after putting in 12 hours a day labour are waaaaaay classier than whoever apples chooses to portray as a status symbol to ship more macs in a country where the ruling class are keeping the poor under forced military and political control.

And btw and I ve said it before, when you hit 25 billion apps downloaded it would be "classier" to give something back to the community of developpers that allow you to ship all these idevices, such as sponsoring a few well deserved app efforts that are struggling to survive.

What crass pr stunt of flying this girl over, dressing her up, hairdressing her and having her picture taken in the Chinese store... Makes Phil Shiller jumping off from 20 feet to a mattress to introduce the iBook seem like the epitome of good taste.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Asian women! OMG! So hot!
  • Reply 7 of 34
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Make her do the hurricane kick.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

What middle class in China, are you bs-ing us? In China it's the upper class and the dirt poor. The slave girls at Foxconn who ve never even played around with an iPad after putting in 12 hours a day labour are waaaaaay classier than whoever apples chooses to portray as a status symbol to ship more macs in a country where the ruling class are keeping the poor under forced military and political control.

And btw and I ve said it before, when you hit 25 billion apps downloaded it would be "classier" to give something back to the community of developpers that allow you to ship all these idevices, such as sponsoring a few well deserved app efforts that are struggling to survive.

What crass pr stunt of flying this girl over, dressing her up, hairdressing her and having her picture taken in the Chinese store... Makes Phil Shiller jumping off from 20 feet to a mattress to introduce the iBook seem like the epitome of good taste.

Your's are some of the most asinine posts. What are you trying to prove?
  • Reply 9 of 34
    I sometimes wonder why women rarely bother with tech forums. In fact, they seem to recoil from it.

I think I know why.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Now that's one pretty girl! After shopping, I understand she bought a Proview iPad.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Asian women! OMG! So hot!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Make her do the hurricane kick.

• Reply 10 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I sometimes wonder why women rarely bother with tech forums. In fact, they seem to recoil from it.

I think I know why.

A lot of men are masculinity challenged. This is one of the few ways they can convince themselves it ain't so.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I was making quite a few points actually:

First that apple should have sponsored devs, and given something back to the dev community for helping her sell so many iOS devices, and reaching 25 billion downloads. And that curating an app store doesn't mean only a guaranteed 30% cut, and 100$ per dev, the latter to keep "curating" the store at no cost. But it might also mean handpicking 100 great apps that are not selling well and allowing their development for another year or so, with just 1/100 of a drop in the pool of money they have in the bank. That they are not being decent to the people they "employ", among the 500,000 people they have created jobs for, including the fed ex folk people and the folk who build and repair fed ex trucks.

I was also making a point on the aesthetics of this ad, of using a pretty (under certain angles at least) girl, dressing and hairdressing her up, flying her over and taking her picture in the store in China as a bit of departure from the square begs in the round holes ads. I felt like I was looking at an ad by Samsung. At least Phil Shiller jumping off to a mattress then hi fiving Steve had a sense of innocence and fun to it.

I also noted that they manufacture in a country where they can get dirt cheap labour due to the the country's infinitesimaly small ruling political and militia class suppressing their people, and then sell back illusions of status and grandeur to that very same class while pretending they are actually offering humanitarian aid to foxconn workers. Somehow it didn't go down well with me one girl playing around with an apple product in a country where it would take another girl making said apple product oh about a half a lifetime of work to afford.

But prove something? With my kind of "asinine" posts? I would never even dream of that. Besides what's anyone trying to prove here?
  • Reply 12 of 34
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Fu took her $10,000 in credit to the Apple Store in Sanlitun where she browsed various products and was photographed inspecting a MacBook Pro. It is unclear what, if anything, Fu purchased

Probably nothing as she won a $10,000 dollar gift card to the App store, not to the Apple store.

-> http://www.apple.com/itunes/25-billion-app-countdown/

"The 25 billionth app download, Where?s My Water? Free, was downloaded by Chunli Fu of Qingdao, China. As the grand prize winner of Apple?s 25 Billion Apps Countdown Promotion, Chunli Fu will receive a $10,000 App Store Gift Card."
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

i was making quite a few points actually:

[...]

... It would be "classier"

[...]

but prove something? With my kind of "asinine" posts? I would never even dream of that. Besides what's anyone trying to prove here?

嘆氣 ... 再一个 肛门
  • Reply 14 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:

I was making quite a few points actually:

First that apple should have sponsored devs, and given something back to the dev community for helping her sell so many iOS devices, and reaching 25 billion downloads. And that curating an app store doesn't mean only a guaranteed 30% cut, and 100$ per dev, the latter to keep "curating" the store at no cost. But it might also mean handpicking 100 great apps that are not selling well and allowing their development for another year or so, with just 1/100 of a drop in the pool of money they have in the bank. That they are not being decent to the people they "employ", among the 500,000 people they have created jobs for, including the fed ex folk people and the folk who build and repair fed ex trucks.

Apple gave them a place to sell their apps. Secondly, the $100 is for the development tools. I like to see someone try to handpick 100 "great" apps that aren't selling well in the 500000 apps they have. And how would Apple know they great? Of course someone will need to use it continuously. Then you have the free apps, how can someone sell something for free?

Quote:

I was also making a point on the aesthetics of this ad, of using a pretty (under certain angles at least) girl, dressing and hairdressing her up, flying her over and taking her picture in the store in China as a bit of departure from the square begs in the round holes ads. I felt like I was looking at an ad by Samsung. At least Phil Shiller jumping off to a mattress then hi fiving Steve had a sense of innocence and fun to it.

secondly, how would you know the woman doesn't dress like that normally. She was able to get an iPhone. Of course you've been to China and know everyone who doesn't live in the big cities live in cardboard shacks.

Quote:

I also noted that they manufacture in a country where they can get dirt cheap labour due to the the country's infinitesimaly small ruling political and militia class suppressing their people, and then sell back illusions of status and grandeur to that very same class while pretending they are actually offering humanitarian aid to foxconn workers. Somehow it didn't go down well with me one girl playing around with an apple product in a country where it would take another girl making said apple product oh about a half a lifetime of work to afford.

interesting that you blame Apple for all the electronics manufacturing problems in China. That's some feat. At least with Apple products, you have "illusions of status" unlike the China produced Xboxes or LG phones or Dell computers.

[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

A lot of men are masculinity challenged. This is one of the few ways they can convince themselves it ain't so.

• Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

LOL. Proview's not giving away much these days. Maybe a free LED street lamp for the 25 billionth Proview iPad NOT sold.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

I have to agree. Seriously off the rails remarks that don't deserve any response.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

Quote:

Pay no attention to myapplelove. He's busy re-writing Mike Daisey's "non-fiction" stage script.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Pay no attention to myapplelove. He's busy re-writing Mike Daisey's "non-fiction" stage script.

I think so poorly of myapplelove that I feel bad for Mike Daisey for that comparison.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Fu wasn't aware of the contest and though that Apple's initial congratulatory calls were pranks. Only after receiving an email from Apple Inc. did Fu believe what her friends had been telling her.

That's funny . Her friends must yank her chain a lot. Though just from the photo, she doesn't look particularly naive.