Safari 5.1.5 fixes 32-bit usability bug

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Just two weeks after releasing Safari 5.1.4, Apple on Monday launched version 5.1.5 which addresses a minor bug faced by users running the web browser in 32-bit mode.

According to the update notes, Safari 5.1.5 Safari 5.1.5 "contains a fix for an issue that could affect website usability when running Safari in 32-bit mode."

Apple released version 5.1.4 of its web browser exactly two weeks ago, which brought a litany of enhancements including faster JavaScript performance and HTML 5 video rendering fixes.

The minor 46.4MB update is available via Apple's dedicated Safari webpage or through Software Update.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Note of interest: The version of Safari provided with Mountain Lion (5.2) removes the 'Activity' option under the 'Window' tab, therefore preventing you from being able to manually download certain files (such as streaming videos).

If the ability to do this is important you, find an alternative means before updating to that version.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Note of interest: The version of Safari provided with Mountain Lion (5.2) removes the 'Activity' option under the 'Window' tab, therefore preventing you from being able to manually download certain files (such as streaming videos).

If the ability to do this is important you, find an alternative means before updating to that version.

I noticed that, too. I can't find a work around in Safari or find a solution with Firefox or Chrome.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

I ran into this recently and found a keyboard shortcut posted on Apple discissions. Of course, I am not at my computer presently and cannot think of it off hand. Perhaps someone else will post. If not, I will try to later.

Regards,

Jeff
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff K-C View Post

I ran into this recently and found a keyboard shortcut posted on Apple discissions. Of course, I am not at my computer presently and cannot think of it off hand. Perhaps someone else will post. If not, I will try to later.

Regards,

Jeff

option command A

is the current keystroke in Lion
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

option command A

is the current keystroke in Lion

Now it points to Show Page Resources from the Debug Menu.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    If you want to download a YouTube vid, just go to this web site, paste the YouTube video URL and select one of the versions listed:

http://keepvid.com/
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

If you want to download a YouTube vid, just go to this web site, paste the YouTube video URL and select one of the versions listed:

http://keepvid.com/

Or you can use Click2Flash and save the trouble of switching sites and installing Java. However, there are plenty of other video sites on the web neither of these options work.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Or you can use Click2Flash and save the trouble of switching sites and installing Java. However, there are plenty of other video sites on the web neither of these options work.

Interesting. It appears this relatively minor change has created a conundrum.

I have done a little light investigation myself but, due to the relative newness of the operating system and it's associated changes, wasn't really finding a lot of information.

I wonder why it was removed.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Will they fix the bug with Safari 5.1.x in Snow Leopard (10.6.8) where it won't block cookies, no matter what how you set the preferences? It's a ridiculous bug. I try each new 5.1 update (on an alternate drive), and every time it's not fixed. I submit a bug report to Apple almost every update.

It doesn't list any new cookies while you're browsing, but when you close Safari and open it again, cookies are there.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Will they fix the bug with Safari 5.1.x in Snow Leopard (10.6.8) where it won't block cookies, no matter what how you set the preferences? It's a ridiculous bug. I try each new 5.1 update (on an alternate drive), and every time it's not fixed. I submit a bug report to Apple almost every update.

It doesn't list any new cookies while you're browsing, but when you close Safari and open it again, cookies are there.

? I just looked at my 10.6.8 install of 10.5.4. The only cookies in there are what I would expect. Closed Safari and restarted. Old cookies gone, a few new ones.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    dcorbandcorban Posts: 58member
    I found it interesting that we have reached a period where a minor point revision of a web browser that fixes a single bug is almost 50MB. That's more than the space required for a full Windows 95 install!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    It appears Apple has withdrawn Safari 5.1.5. The link was down yesterday (Apple put up a message overnight saying it was unavailable) and today the download link for 5.1.5 actually downloads you 5.1.4.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I must say that 5.1.4 was an improvement for me. Although I had it crap out once, it's much better than the almost daily occurrence of before. That said, I've never had that happen to me using Firefox.

Oh well, baby steps I guess.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I wonder why it was removed.

Because it was a Pro feature. Why else?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Does it fix the issue of Google search urls in the Safari history?

http://bartkowalski.com/2012/02/goog...owser-history/

http://www.macgasm.net/2012/01/18/an...irected-links/

Safari started doing this a couple of updates ago. Firefox does not seem to have this issue.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

? I just looked at my 10.6.8 install of 10.5.4. The only cookies in there are what I would expect. Closed Safari and restarted. Old cookies gone, a few new ones.

The bug is that if you set Safari to block all cookies, it doesn't block them (but it only lists the cookies when Safari is restarted). Most people allow cookies, so they wouldn't notice or it doesn't matter.

There were some DoubleClick cookies in there, so it appears Safari isn't blocking third-party cookies.

This also used to be the case in Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with Safari 5.0.5, but a previous security fix fixed that.