Australian government accuses Apple of 'misleading' 4G claims with new iPad

Comments

• Reply 121 of 197
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    what does Apple have to do to make this ipad compatible with these other bands? Different chipset? Software upgrade? New SIM chip? Combination? Is it a contract? Approval? What is limiting them from being able to support these other bands?
  • Reply 122 of 197
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Show me where Telstra have said that?? It's quite clear on there website to me.

http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-in...dband/bigpond/

The banner advertising in local stores, outside 4G LTE coverage area's i.e. most of Australia, unless they are adopting the ITU 4G definition as also used by Apple.
  • Reply 123 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

what does Apple have to do to make this ipad compatible with these other bands? Different chipset? Software upgrade? New SIM chip? Combination? Is it a contract? Approval? What is limiting them from being able to support these other bands?

Chipset.
  • Reply 124 of 197
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

They aren't advertising 4G LTE in the UK (or other countries), why don't you look up the 4G standard in particular, the definition pertaining to HSPA+ which IS available in the UK and Australia.

Is HSPA+ being advertised as 4G in Australia? I noticed Telstra called their LTE service there 4G, but I don't think the iPad 4G can make use of it.
  • Reply 125 of 197
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

Furthermore, the cellular-enabled iPad supports frequencies within the spectrum band of 700 MHz to 2,100 MHz. However, the scheduled 4G LTE network in the United Kingdom will use the 800 MHz, 1,800 MHz and 2,600 MHz cellular bands whereas the iPad supports 4G LTE on the 700 MHz and 2,100 MHz bands.

You realize, of course, that by the 2009 ITU recommendation that has yet to be completed, the 4G LTE deployment in the UK that you reference is not considered to be 4G ...
  • Reply 126 of 197
    Quote:

So I have to travel to another country to use the feature of the product?? Dumb argument...

Why didn't it say in the ad that I have to put petrol in the car to make it move?

Who can I sue?

Americanisation is almost complete, we will soon be the 51st state.
  • Reply 127 of 197
    Quote:

The banner advertising in local stores, outside 4G LTE coverage area's i.e. most of Australia, unless they are adopting the ITU 4G definition as also used by Apple.

Ahh ok so were being misleading...so they dont have any TV ads, radio ads or website ads saying it's nationally wide.

Your complaint, if true, is that they have a 4G banner in a store where the coverage doesn't exist.
  • Reply 128 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Is HSPA+ being advertised as 4G in Australia? I noticed Telstra called their LTE service there 4G, but I don't think the iPad 4G can make use of it.

No it is not. 4G has only ever been LTE here.
  • Reply 129 of 197
    Quote:

Why didn't it say in the ad that I have to put petrol in the car to make it move?

Who can I sue?

Americanisation is almost complete, we will soon be the 51st state.

lol this argument is dumber than your last! Care to try for a third?
  • Reply 130 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Ummmm, yes. By Apple. And it appears that the standards body agrees with this.
  • Reply 131 of 197
    toruktoruk Posts: 38member
    Quote:

They aren't advertising 4G LTE in the UK (or other countries), why don't you look up the 4G standard in particular, the definition pertaining to HSPA+ which IS available in the UK and Australia.

The HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA technical standards are not known as 4G in the United Kingdom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three

It was for that reason that last year we invested millions in upgrading our network to the next generation of 3G technology: HSPA+. ? We're now in the process of finalising our plans to roll out what's being described in the USA* as 4G. But let?s be absolutely clear?this isn't 4G as in Long Term Evolution, or LTE as it's also known. Instead it's the leading-edge version of HSPA+ 3G technology called DC-HSDPA.

*The 42 Mbps Technical Standard has been described as 4G by T-Mobile in the USA.

• Reply 132 of 197
    Quote:

Ahh ok so were being misleading...so they dont have any TV ads, radio ads or website ads saying it's nationally wide.

Your complaint, if true, is that they have a 4G banner in a store where the coverage doesn't exist.

...it's rather like having a 4G banner on a web based store where the coverage doesn't exist, like Apple's site for instance.

Where is Apple's specific claim that it is available worldwide?
  • Reply 133 of 197
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toruk View Post

The HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA technical standards are not known as 4G in the United Kingdom.

Is that a colloquial definition of has parliment deemed they will not acknowledge the ITU-R's new definition of 4G?
  • Reply 134 of 197
    Quote:

...it's rather like having a 4G banner on a web based store where the coverage doesn't exist, like Apple's site for instance.

Where is Apple's specific claim that it is available worldwide?

Link?

Looks quite clear to me and they havent hidden it in a footnote.

• Reply 135 of 197
    Quote:

lol this argument is dumber than your last! Care to try for a third?

Maybe just a big sticker on cars advising that fuel may be required to make them work as advertised and that said car may not work as advertised in some areas e.g. the bottom of a river.

While we are on the subject of calling for prominent disclaimers for everything, I just thought I'd bring it up.
  • Reply 136 of 197
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The Danish also have a problem with Apple advertising the iPad w/4G, saying it's not compatible with their 4G networks but isn't clearly stated incompatible, thus misleading some buyers.denmark 4g LTE coverage map

They said they'll take it up with Apple Ireland tho.

http://www.mobilsiden.dk/nyheder/for...pad,lid.20298/
  • Reply 137 of 197
    Quote:

Link?

Looks quite clear to me and they havent hidden it in a footnote.

What is not clear, to me, is that this won't work as advertised, at my house, the local shops or anywhere in between.
  • Reply 138 of 197
    Quote:

Maybe just a big sticker on cars advising that fuel may be required to make them work as advertised and that said car may not work as advertised in some areas e.g. the bottom of a river.

While we are on the subject of calling for prominent disclaimers for everything, I just thought I'd bring it up.

lol want go for a fourth? I think you should stop now...
  • Reply 139 of 197
    toruktoruk Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Is that a colloquial definition of has parliment deemed they will not acknowledge the ITU-R's new definition of 4G?

Ofcom, the communications regulator for the United Kingdom, uses the term 4G to refer only to Long Term Evolution (LTE) and WiMAX.
  • Reply 140 of 197
    Quote:

What is not clear, to me, is that this won't work as advertised, at my house, the local shops or anywhere in between.

So the fact that they told you clearly in capital cities etc and even a link to a coverage map is not enough for you? This was not information hidden down the bottom of the page!