iMac refresh soon??

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:

Also I believe many more Mac users would play the game if a native version was available.

Sure. WoW is popular. There's even a few CoX players. (*waves...)

Republic has a decent change of coming over. Mac fans just need to bombard Bioware. The Cider Transgamer engine did an ok job with CoX. It's got better over time.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    So going back to the OP question... When you guys think there will be a refresh?

I'm ready to buy a 27" iMac now but I could wait a month or so for a newer one

cheers,

C
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mastersonics View Post

So going back to the OP question... When you guys think there will be a refresh?

cheers,

C

Based on hardware that's coming (Ivy Bridge processors), they'll update the iMac. I just don't know if it's coming within a month or if it's coming later. Also, some changes on the design may be coming. Current design it's been around since 2007 (I think) with small changes during that time span.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mastersonics View Post

It could be days or several weeks after Intel starts to ship suitable hardware.

Quote:

Normally I would say buy when you need it. If you are into the iMac design the current ones are not that bad. Today though I think it would be wise to hold off for as long as possible. Ivy Bridge and a number of other new technologies could make for a very interesting iMac re-release.

Quote:

cheers,

C

The problem you got is that nobody in this forum has inside knowledge, so we really don't know wHen the new hardware will come. What we do know is that new chips from Intel are very near and that if they live up to the performance rumors should provide for a nice update. Beyond that we can see that Apple isn t afraid of new technologies to boost the performance of its machines, so we could see other improvements in the iMac.

So again the advice is, that if you can, wait for the refresh!
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

Based on hardware that's coming (Ivy Bridge processors), they'll update the iMac. I just don't know if it's coming within a month or if it's coming later. Also, some changes on the design may be coming. Current design it's been around since 2007 (I think) with small changes during that time span.

The chassis is a little old in the tooth, but honestly it isn't hard on the eyes. What it is hard on is my sensibilities as to what a PC should be access wise. I have no idea why on earth they would put the things most likely to need servicing or replacement into the hardest to get to locations. I'm talking the HD here. I firmly believe Apple could come up with a new design if they wanted too that would not raise the objections of so many potential owners.

Let's face it they did an excellent job with the MBP Unibodies so they have the engineering talent to do it. Compared to the models that came before them the Unibodies are a revolution in access. So there is no excuse for the iMac.

They one factor that leads me to be reluctant to express any sort of surety with respect to the new iMacs debut is HiDPI screens. If the come this year they could very well wait a long time to get the hardware and software ready. HIDPI is a little fly in the ointment if you will. I have a hard time believing they would wait for WWDC in June but it is possible. It is an outlier but for practicle reasons I need to throw out the idea that new iMacs could take as limping as June/July to come.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Just got a 27" so let's hope for the best...

I'm not sure if the upgraded iMacs will be revolutionary but from what I read the new processors are not like a night and day difference...

cheers,

C
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The chassis is a little old in the tooth, but honestly it isn't hard on the eyes. What it is hard on is my sensibilities as to what a PC should be access wise. I have no idea why on earth they would put the things most likely to need servicing or replacement into the hardest to get to locations. I'm talking the HD here. I firmly believe Apple could come up with a new design if they wanted too that would not raise the objections of so many potential owners.

Let's face it they did an excellent job with the MBP Unibodies so they have the engineering talent to do it. Compared to the models that came before them the Unibodies are a revolution in access. So there is no excuse for the iMac.

They one factor that leads me to be reluctant to express any sort of surety with respect to the new iMacs debut is HiDPI screens. If the come this year they could very well wait a long time to get the hardware and software ready. HIDPI is a little fly in the ointment if you will. I have a hard time believing they would wait for WWDC in June but it is possible. It is an outlier but for practicle reasons I need to throw out the idea that new iMacs could take as limping as June/July to come.

Beware with your wishes. HiDPI on a display the size of the iMac is very very GPU intensive. If they keep using laptop graphics cards on the iMac the computer becomes good only for office use and nothing more. Everything else needs much more GPU power.

You'll have your HiDPI on laptops, on a 27" I'm not seeing it coming any time soon.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    If they double current resolution I'm not sure that would qualify them as retina screens. In the end the GPU performance hit wont be any worst than is seen on something like the iPad. While there certainly will be a hit if using the same GPU hardware, both AMD and NVIdia now have 28nm GPUs that should deal with this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

Beware with your wishes. HiDPI on a display the size of the

iMac is very very GPU intensive. If they keep using laptop graphics cards on the iMac the computer becomes good only for office use and nothing more. Everything else needs much more GPU power.

You'll have your HiDPI on laptops, on a 27" I'm not seeing it coming any time soon.

I really don't see a problem GPU wise though I suspect manufacturing such panels might be an issue. Remember the idea is to simply double the resolution not to go to retina level densities. The other issue is getting the data to the display. I suspect this would require something faster than Displayport over TB that we currently have.

So yeah there are challenges but these can be overcomed.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

If they double current resolution I'm not sure that would qualify them as retina screens. In the end the GPU performance hit wont be any worst than is seen on something like the iPad. While there certainly will be a hit if using the same GPU hardware, both AMD and NVIdia now have 28nm GPUs that should deal with this.

I really don't see a problem GPU wise though I suspect manufacturing such panels might be an issue. Remember the idea is to simply double the resolution not to go to retina level densities. The other issue is getting the data to the display. I suspect this would require something faster than Displayport over TB that we currently have.

So yeah there are challenges but these can be overcomed.

Remember that Apple had to put a quadcore GPU on the iPad in order to manage all those pixels. The Displayport should be enough. It was thought from the beginning to handle high resolutions. The GPU performance required is really what's getting me concerned about that move. You will have a crisp image but if you try to play a game, even not being very demanding on common resolutions, will require much more performance GPU wise. With this I still think you're only getting HiDPI screens on smaller form factors like the one on laptops.

Oh! And yes, manufacturing the panels would be an issue at the beginning. There's always yield issues on shrinking processes.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:

From what we saw last year and if this sets a tendency, WWDC will stay as more software related event and they'll do separate events to announce new or redesigned products. However, in the end, we never know. They can push some new Macs to pair with Mountain Lion.