Apple's Steve Jobs wasn't a fan of the name 'Siri'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs didn't particularly like the name "Siri" when he acquired the company behind the personal assistant software, but he failed to come up with what he thought was a better option.

The new details on the late CEO came from a speech given this week by Dag Kittlaus, one of the co-founders of Siri. Yoni Heisler of NetworkWorld was in attendance for the talk, and was informed that "Siri" is Norwegian for "beautiful woman who leads you to victory."

"I worked with a lady named Siri in Norway and wanted to name my daughter Siri and the domain was available," Kittlaus explained. "And also consumer companies need to focus on the fact that the name is easy to spell, easy to say."

Apple acquired Siri in April of 2010 for a rumored $200 million. The software was originally a free item on the iPhone App Store.

After the acquisition, Jobs wasn't sold on the Siri name, but Kittlaus tried to convince the Apple co-founder otherwise. Though Jobs was apparently never fully satisfied with the product name, Kittlaus said he failed to come up with a superior option, so he stuck with "Siri."

Kittlaus also revealed that he was unexpectedly summoned by Jobs to his Cupertino, Calif., home soon after the original Siri application launched on the App Store. There, Jobs had a three-hour chat with him by the fireplace about the future.

"(Apple is) patient — they don't jump on anything until they feel they can go after something new, and he felt that we cracked it," Kittlaus explained. "So that was his attraction (to Siri)."

Kittlaus eventually left Apple last October following the launch of the iPhone 4S, having served as CEO of Siri since 2007 and head of Apple's speech recognition team since April of 2010. His departure from Apple was described as "amicable."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Also could sound like Yes Siree!
  • Reply 2 of 49
    mobilememobileme Posts: 288member
    The "cracked it!" remark, is more likely in reference to the APPLE TV SET that they're rumored to be developing.

Hopefully Apple sticks with the vision Steve Jobs gave them. Any deviation from it wouldn't be wise. (ie: Apple Tv UI)
  • Reply 3 of 49
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    How long must we suffer these "Steve didn't like insert_product_name_here" stories? Anyone who's read his biography knows that if someone with conviction was willing to stand up to Steve, Steve was willing to be proven wrong, and actually respected the hell out of the person for doing it and for standing up to authority. Just because he didn't initially like something doesn't mean it was automatically the wrong choice, just that he wanted to cover every possibility to make sure nothing better was out there.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    And he also didn't like the name "Macintosh" and failed to come up with something better. He can be wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

The "cracked it!" remark, is more likely in reference to the APPLE TV SET that they're rumored to be developing.

Hopefully Apple sticks with the vision Steve Jobs gave them. Any deviation from it wouldn't be wise. (ie: Apple Tv UI)

It could refer to anything - there is nothing specific about the "cracked it" statement that specifically identifies anything. People are projecting a TV, but there is no evidence that is what Jobs is talking about. Plus, what if Jobs was wrong and he didn't know it and others do? What if the "solution" is something that doesn't end up practical? It may never even see the light of day.

I suggest we shouldn't look into the meaning of what is essentially a tease statement.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I wondered why they'd stuck with "Siri" when it was rumoured to be called "Assistant" but it's obvious now they needed an actual name for it. It wouldn't have so easily become part of popular culture if it was named "iPhone Assistant" or whatever. I do think they should've used the same voice around the world though, to maintain a similar identity, it's kind of weird that Siri is female in the US and male in the UK. But "Siri" is now a brand in its own right and that's partly down to giving it a proper name, and therefore a personality, rather than simply listing it as a feature. (I thought the name was derived from SRI, though, where Siri was developed.)
  • Reply 7 of 49
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    It kind of seems that one of the defining characteristics of Steve Jobs is that he disliked everything at one time or other. In some ways, that was a great strength -- he could always see how things could be better and so never became complacent.

Regarding Siri -- I really like the name. Not only is it easy to say, but there's something about it that seems both friendly and kind of exotic (at least it's exotic for a guy who grew up in the middle of Kansas).
  • Reply 8 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Steve probably wanted no name.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Better than bicycle.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    He didn't like 'iMac' either. Had to be talked into it.

This is why Apple will survive and thrive without Steve. He set the boat on a great course and depended on a great crew to work it.

The crew is his living legacy.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Steve probably wanted no name.

Isn't he dead? Yet?
  • Reply 12 of 49
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    They should have named it 'Ballmer' based upon how it works.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

How long must we suffer these "Steve didn't like insert_product_name_here" stories?

no joke.

The man is dead. What he liked, didn't like etc is beside the point. Time to move on.

The only thing more annoying than these stories are folks jumping on "Steve would never have approved this" for anything that releases after his death that they don't like. Everything we see for the next 5 years is stuff that was likely in the works before he went on medical leave much less died so in fact, yes he likely did approve it.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

It kind of seems that one of the defining characteristics of Steve Jobs is that he disliked everything at one time or other. In some ways, that was a great strength -- he could always see how things could be better and so never became complacent.

There may have been times even that he said he didn't like something to make the person argue their case. Why? To force them to ask themselves if it was the best that could be done and not just that they were making that claim because they liked their keen idea so much. Sometimes it wasn't and they realized it, sometimes they made a solid argument and proved it was the best. But no one was doing whatever simply because they thought it was cool etc.

A tactic other companies could do with from time to time
  • Reply 15 of 49
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member
    but but but all these articles that Jobs ran Apple single handed......does not compute....

Maybe, just maybe, the guy did actually listen to people.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

Maybe, just maybe, the guy did actually listen to people.

I've seen scant evidence that is the case.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I've seen scant evidence that is the case.

This is plain evidence that you didn't read the biography.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Or it's in reference to anything imaginable, as 'cracked it' can apply in any situation.

Quote:

Hopefully Apple sticks with the vision Steve Jobs gave them. Any deviation from it wouldn't be wise. (i.e.: Apple TV UI)

Oh, good! You seem to have proof that the current UI wasn't something Steve wanted. If you'd be so kind, present that proof here and in the proper thread arguing about the design, because that keeps coming up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

And he also didn't like the name "Macintosh" and failed to come up with something better. He can be wrong.

Bicycle only wasn't better because it didn't have a ring to it that matched the company name.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I wondered why they'd stuck with "Siri" when it was rumored to be called "Assistant" but it's obvious now they needed an actual name for it.

I think they should've given it a name that was at least a backronym. Like GLaDOS, HAL, and the like.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post

Isn't he dead? Yet?

I don't see the problem in his post; his tense is correct.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

But no one was doing whatever simply because they thought it was cool etc.

A tactic other companies could do with from time to time

You know, it does seem that that's what many of them do, doesn't it? Particularly some of the new-agey stuff that Microsoft has put out. And idiotic designs like the HP touchscreen computers and the Gateway One (remember that?).
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

This is plain evidence that you didn't read the biography.

Wrong again. I read the bio.

I saw scant evidence that Steve listened to others.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    A lot of the Apple Store model was not how Steve initially saw it going.

Professional vs Consumers

Guru's help bench

So we need to be a bit cautious on Steve's early reactions versus his having time to digest and go for walks to think about.

I have super regard for Steve's thinking and his attention to detail and user experience and aesthetics but also to the team he created, trained, and let run Apple [until his very untimely death] to be original and have similar impact.