Rumor: Texas Instruments making chips for Apple's next iPhone ahead of Sept. launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

A pair of unconfirmed rumors claim that Texas Instruments has started production of the power management chip for the next iPhone, and that the sixth-generation handset will allegedly debut in September.

An "inside source" claims that Texas Instruments is already producing power management chips for an as-yet-unannounced Apple handset, which the company's management is reportedly calling the "iPhone 5," according to a post on iPhone repair firm RepairLabs' blog.

Texas Instruments currently supplies a number of components to Apple including the touchscreen controller in the iPhone 4S as well as power management chips and a control device found in the new iPad.

Going further, a separate Chinese source said that the "iPhone 5" will be ready for a September release. The unnamed source also claims that the handset will feature a larger display, though didn't mention specific dimensions.

While RepairLabs does not have a proven track record of providing rumors later proven to be true, the company did post pictures of the new iPad's back casing in February, which allegedly came from the same chinese source mentioned above, and was one of the first to investigate the third-generation tablet's purported heat issues.

The latest rumors come on the heels of a report earlier on Wednesday, claiming that whispers from China say Apple is working on a 5-inch Retina Display device set for launch in 2013.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    A 4" display (4.25" max) would be great. Not interested in carrying around a 5" mini-tablet for a phone
  • Reply 2 of 33
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Going further, a separate Chinese source said that the "iPhone 5" will be ready for a September release. The unnamed source also claims that the handset will feature a larger display, though didn't mention specific dimensions.

The latest rumors come on the heels of a report earlier on Wednesday, claiming that whispers from China say Apple is working on a 5-inch Retina Display device set for launch in 2013.

The Chinese whisperer meant to say 3.5-inch Retina Display but forgot to type 3. in front of the 5.

In any case, I wouldn't want a phone with a 5 inch screen. 4 inch max!
  • Reply 3 of 33
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Remember. 6ht Generation iPhone but Apple will cal it the iPhone 5. Some people think the next iPhone will be called iPhone 6. Not!
  • Reply 4 of 33
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Remember. 6ht Generation iPhone but Apple will cal it the iPhone 5. Some people think the next iPhone will be called iPhone 6. Not!

No more numbers. It gets stupid after a while.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

This again, already?

"The iPhone" reported by an anonymous source.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    If Motorola and Samsung are attempting to bully TI by revoking F/RAND based licenses, then this should be ample proof that the rumour is true, seeing as they only seem to do it when Apple is involved.

I wonder if there's anywhere to find out.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

No more numbers. It gets stupid after a while.

Agreed. Time to just call it the iPhone
  • Reply 8 of 33
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Apple should demand TI find the leak and fire those responsible. If not, they should threaten to pull all of the business

Apple needs to send a clear message regarding confidentially
  • Reply 9 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Apple should demand TI find the leak and fire those responsible. If not, they should threaten to pull all of the business

Apple needs to send a clear message regarding confidentially

They've already sent one.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They've already sent one.

yeah, and it got lost in the mail...
  • Reply 11 of 33
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

Yep, makes sense to me. Let's call the 6th generation iPhone, which will be running iOS 6, the iPhone 5. (in case you couldn't figure it out, I am being sarcastic) I agree with a previous post which said they should do away with the numbers altogether, and I completely agree. They don't number anything else in their lineup (including the iPad now), so why keep numbering the iPhone. It's simply the iPhone. And if they continue on with keeping the last generation model around for another year, just call the old one the iPhone classic and the new one "the new iPhone".
  • Reply 12 of 33
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Yep, makes sense to me. Let's call the 6th generation iPhone, which will be running iOS 6, the iPhone 5.

+1. I am irritated by many journalists dubbing 6th generation iPhone iPhone 5 as well.

Since 6 has negative connotation, and given how 3rd generation iPad is just (new) iPad, it is almost guaranteed that iPhone 6 will be called new iPhone, with Apple Support referring to it as iPhone 2012.

Regarding the screen size, there is no way new iPhone will be larger physically than iPhone 4S. Side borders and areas between home button and ear speaker might shrink a bit, while maintaining same pixel density for backward compatibility. I recall someone calculating 4.2" as the largest possible size that meets these requirements.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:

Yep, makes sense to me. Let's call the 6th generation iPhone, which will be running iOS 6, the iPhone 5. (in case you couldn't figure it out, I am being sarcastic) I agree with a previous post which said they should do away with the numbers altogether, and I completely agree. They don't number anything else in their lineup (including the iPad now), so why keep numbering the iPhone. It's simply the iPhone. And if they continue on with keeping the last generation model around for another year, just call the old one the iPhone classic and the new one "the new iPhone".

How do you call the iPhones 3GS which is still on sale, if you call iPhone 4 the iPhone classic?
  • Reply 14 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

There would then be an endless list of names to choose from each year. A fat iPhone could be named after one of the baking Apples while a slim model could be named after a sweet eating Apple!
  • Reply 15 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

How do you call the iPhones 3GS which is still on sale, if you call iPhone 4 the iPhone classic?

Seems to me the iPhone 3GS will no longer be on sale when the 6th gen iPhone appears.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Not that this isn't a completely pointless discussion, because really WHO CARES?, but recall that Apple is currently selling the iPad 2 alongside the new iPad that they simply call "the new iPad."
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Gotta love TI !!

Hook 'em, horns!
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

A 4" display (4.25" max) would be great. Not interested in carrying around a 5" mini-tablet for a phone

IMO, 4.3 is about right. 3.5 is tiny by today's standards.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There would then be an endless list of names to choose from each year. A fat iPhone could be named after one of the baking Apples while a slim model could be named after a sweet eating Apple!

Just can't see the youngsters buying the "Granny Smith" model
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Regarding the screen size, there is no way new iPhone will be larger physically than iPhone 4S.

It could well be somewhat bigger. There is nothing sacred about the current size, and MUCH larger phones are increasingly hitting the market.

There is nothing magical or set in stone about the current size.