Half of all American households own an Apple product

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

what a simple and beautiful way to go through life.

You should try it some time. It is, indeed, simple and beautiful.

And it spares those around you unending, boring, public commiserations.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Given that absolute power corrupts absolutely, no sane person would regard this as good news.

Big = Bad.

Let me make sure I understand this:

success = evil, failure = good?

Can I assume you also think this stupid equation doesn't apply to companies with near monopolies in search engines that start with a capital 'G'?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

This makes me wonder if parents who have bought or seen their children with MP3 players are just assuming that their child's device is made by Apple when it really isn't.

Yes, this survey is fatally flawed. American adults don't own iPods. I suspect that iPhone and iPad owners probably think that they are using Sony Walkmans.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Given that absolute power corrupts absolutely, no sane person would regard this as good news.

Big = Bad.

Only when Big = Miccrosoft, Android, Google, and the circus fat lady.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArchAngel21x View Post

Is this why it seems to be popular to hate Apple? I'm beginning to wish Apple was still a company that made superior products but was still the underdog. Just last week, I had to listen to a co-worker complain about hoe difficult his wife's iPhone is to use. Wow. iPhone difficult to use? I wonder what he'd think of an Android phone.

Nah. Given Apple's growth, I think you are just overreacting to the bitter Fandroid demographic that likes to hate Apple on these forums. The average person has a favorable impression of Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    droodroo Posts: 27member
    Our family of four.

1 Macintosh PPC 5400 1995: Still running. Kids still play Lemmings on it.

1 PowerBook 3400 1997: Keyboard died in 2009. I recycled it.

1 iMac G3 2001: Ran fine when I gave it to a school in 2010.

1 iPod 2003. Replaced the battery a few years ago. It still runs daily as my daughter's room stereo.

3 shuffles sold or given away over the years

1 2G iPod Nano

2 3G iPod Nanos

1 4G iPod Nano

1 iPod Touch 2G, replaced the battery.

1 iPod Touch 3G, dead, got wet.

2 Macbook Pro's 2010

1 iPod Classic 2010

1 Time Capsule

1 iPhone 4

1 iPad 2

--

Except as mentioned, all these items are still in regular use. I don't even consider myself an enthusiastic Apple fan. I just like stuff that works. I tried for a long time to find a non-iPhone phone that I liked, Nokia, Motorola, Samsung... Really?! You can't make a phone that I don't want to pound into oblivion with a sledge hammer?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

I had to listen to a co-worker complain about how difficult his wife's iPhone is to use. Wow. iPhone difficult to use?

perhaps a dumb phone is easier to understand by that person.

Yes, it's the ecosystem that works really great with Apple products. As I remember it, it was the iLife suite and the video cameras they put on the store shelves that made people realise its all connected, a one-stop shop for your digital life. The whole integration of their software, and now hardware with iCloud and all - gotta love it for what it is.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

There are times I wish that my thinking could be as simple as this. Only two possibilities. Pick one.

Black or white. All or nothing.

And to be completely confident that my conclusion is correct, instead of assigning tentative probabilities to conclusions, and searching out further information which might tend to bolster it or make it somewhat less likely.

The world would be much easier if there was only one reason for each fact. And it would be simpler still if I could just accept my first conclusion, with no modifications either necessary or even possible. Going to extremes, with everything either perfect or "suck ass".

what a simple and beautiful way to go through life.

You need to lay off your brand of kool-aid and just accept that most other products really do suck ass. I constantly shake my head at the complete garbage that is put out there that try to compete against or ride the coattails of Apple. Trash. Even if Apple weren't a player, it's still junk.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:

...I'm beginning to wish Apple was still a company that made superior products but was still the underdog. ....

I wished the same too but I guess it is inevitable. I mean you cannot change something for good so drastically i.e. iPod + iTunes + iTMS w/o picking up followers en masse. Had Apple only make computers, the exclusivity/superiority would still be the case.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    naboozlenaboozle Posts: 213member
    Could you have imagined this headline in 1997? Wow.