Apple and Samsung have 'communicated lately' about patent suit settlements

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Despite late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs's vow to go "thermonuclear war" on devices running Google's Android operating system, Apple and Samsung have recently had discussions about potentially settling their ongoing legal disputes.

The apparent continued behind-the-scenes talks between Apple and Samsung were revealed in a new cover story in Bloomberg Businessweek entitled Apple's War on Android. The story gives a detailed recounting of how Apple became involved in patent litigation with a host of Android smartphone makers, including Samsung, Motorola and HTC.

Citing people familiar with the situation, the report reveals that top-level executives at both Samsung and Apple have allegedly "communicated lately about potential settlement options."

"Apple CEO Tim Cook does not seem to share his predecessor's passion about laying all foes to waste," author Paul M. Barrett wrote. "Cook appears to view litigation as a necessary evil, not a vehicle of cosmic revenge."

While Apple and Samsung are apparently talking, it's by no means an indication that the ongoing lawsuits among device makers will end anytime soon. Apple has accused Samsung and others of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad, mimicking both their hardware and the iOS mobile operating system.

A map of Apple's legal assault on Android from Bloomberg Businessweek.

Apple recently revealed in a court filing that company officials met with Samsung four times in 2010 in an attempt to avoid patent litigation. Jobs himself was said to be part of those talks, but the issues were never resolved and Apple eventually filed suit against Samsung in April of 2011.

Jobs indicated before he died to biographer Walter Isaacson that he had no interest in licensing Apple's patented technology to Android manufacturers. Jobs said he believed Android was a "stolen product," and indicated he was "willing to go thermonuclear war" to stop it.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Steve would not be happy......

Tim needs those screens to build his TV.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    only lawyers getting rich... Gheesh
  • Reply 3 of 56
    Good to see some progress being made here. Hopefully they can end this nonsense. Time to let icons be bygones.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Good to see some progress being made here. Hopefully they can end this nonsense. Time to let icons be bygones.

All those white arrows look far more aggressive.

Some how I hope this War Game comes to an end. I hate to see all these lawyers getting richer and richer. This is a death cycle that is suffocating technological progress.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

All those white arrows look far more aggressive.

Some how I hope this War Game comes to an end. I hate to see all these lawyers getting richer and richer. This is a death cycle that is suffocating technological progress.

In other words it pays to steal?

What kind of example are we setting for our children?
  • Reply 6 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

in settling we can show the system is broken and the best option is to sit at the table and work this out...

i work with lawyers all the time, and the best quote i have heard "clients have principles but they will have to pay to enforce them"

sounds like money junkies to me... Work it out is a better diplomatic solution to teach our kids then pay for war.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

I think it's more a matter of picking your battles.

After all, even with copying Apple's IP, Samsung hasn't had any products come close to the iPhone's sales volume.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    how about Samesung pays Apple 20 USD per Android device? That would be fair.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

You should really read how Apples Newton came to be, you want to talk about stealing.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Steve would not be happy......

1. They have likely been talking this whole time

2. We don't know that Tim will say yes to things that Steve would have said no.

Quote:

Tim needs those screens to build his TV.

3. totally different department. Which is why they are still making screens for the iPad and iPhone, despite having 'copied' them
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Quote:

Look, I really hate to see samsung copying everything Apple. But to see all this money going down the drain hurts me even more. Since this whole licensing war has come to a stalemate situation. They should sit at a table drink a beer or two (no lawyers invited), shake hands and drop the case.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    It's the only way they can get down to a 32nm process so the next ipad isn't as hot as the new one. TSMC is further down to 28nm but with production problems so far. And no one expects intel to manufacture arm in their even smaller lithography. Samsung has had a good card to play with apple and so far they have done so by letting them manufacture at only 45nm.

So that pretty much leaves apple with only samsung so far to manufacture their chips. Too bad they didn't settle before the new ipad... at least the new ipad can double up as an omelet maker. That's device convergence for ya.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:

Look, I really hate to see samsung copying everything Apple. But to see all this money going down the drain hurts me even more. Since this whole licensing war has come to a stalemate situation. They should sit at a table drink a beer or two (no lawyers invited), shake hands and drop the case.

In other words - a "teachable moment"?

Steve would be spinning in his urn/grave.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

You should really read how Apples Newton came to be, you want to talk about stealing.

Well the Newton was one of the first projects that have been terminated by Steve. You shouldn't bring up stuff that is older then a decade. Apple was quite a different company at that time. My guts are telling me, that most of the posters in this forum would agree on this.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    I'm imagining Steve jobs as Darth Vader and Tim Cook as the Imperial Admiral who gets the Force Grip treatment for this outrage.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:

Well the Newton was one of the first projects that have been terminated by Steve. You shouldn't bring up stuff that is older then a decade. Apple was quite a different company at that time. My guts are telling me, that most of the posters in this forum would agree on this.

Agreed.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holmstockd View Post

in settling we can show the system is broken and the best option is to sit at the table and work this out... .

But not everything can be worked out by discussion. What do you reckon would have happened if they asked Hitler to the discussion table?! Perhaps agreed to only gas half the jews, in a give and take agreement.

That's no good! Sometimes war is the only option.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:

In other words - a "teachable moment"?

Steve would be spinning in his urn/grave.

Or he might be relieved? Nobody will ever know. But I agree, that if he would be here in person, he might have a difficult time to agree to such an undertaking, even so it would probably be overall beneficial to the company. And don't get me wrong I am absolutely in favor for IP defense. But this situation is so totally fucked up that drawing a par is the best they could do IMHO.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

It's the only way they can get down to a 32nm process so the next ipad isn't as hot as the new one. TSMC is further down to 28nm but with production problems so far. And no one expects intel to manufacture arm in their even smaller lithography. Samsung has had a good card to play with apple and so far they have done so by letting them manufacture at only 45nm.

So that pretty much leaves apple with only samsung so far to manufacture their chips. Too bad they didn't settle before the new ipad... at least the new ipad can double up as an omelet maker. That's device convergence for ya.

Interesting how independent testing has shown the new ipad to run cooler than existing Android tablets. So if the new ipad is an omelet maker, android tables are deep fryers.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Interesting how independent testing has shown the new ipad to run cooler than existing Android tablets. So if the new ipad is an omelet maker, android tables are deep fryers.

If you go back and look at the overall results you'll see they're not what you thought you read.