RIM claims Apple using proxy votes to win nano-SIM standard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    leeeh2leeeh2 Posts: 30member
    So funny when big companies whine. Nokia and RIM sound like a child who wants a new toy.

When this all started, Nokia was accusing Apple of just trying to make money with Apple's nano-SIM standard. Of course, Nokia neglects to say that they want to make money, as well. Apple responds (calls Nokia on it) by saying then we will give our patents away for free if you give it away free. Nokia is now complaining that Apple is undermining them. Nokia, you can't have it both ways; you should have just stayed quiet.

Nokia also says that Apple doesn't have any useful patents; so of course, they can give it away free. So if Apple didn't have any useful patents, then why does Nokia care so much. Also if Nokia's patents are so far reaching, no matter what standard gets selected, it is assumed that they make a buck because Nokia's patents has to be used in any standard presented.

Finally, sometimes there are the "understood" rules of how things work. They aren't spelled out, but everyone does them. This proxy thing sounds to me like one of those things that everyone does, but they don't normally talk about. It is just that Apple seems to be doing a better job, and it is pissing RIM and Nokia off.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Ok so then Apple wins and get their design approved. Nokia says piss off, no licenses for you. Then what? It doesn't seem that Apple can proceed without key licenses.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    It's pathetic to see how Rim, a once great company, is drowning in a sea of sour grapes. I am surprised that none of these vanishing companies try to collaborate with Apple. Instead they just spew anti-Apple hatred as they take their last gasp and go under. Must be stupidity or pride or the CEO's golden parachutte.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

They gave iPhone cases for free too, now they are giving their ip up for free, oh the altruism of apple...and all that during a week when they were called out for innaculately reporting battery % of the iPad, then had a tech representative lie again in terms of the reasons for doing this, and now allegedly arranging proxy voting to gobble up whatever little leverage their already waaaay smaller and weaker competitors have in terms of ip (an ip they developed over years of being in the phone business). I wonder how much innovation is going to gain by having every small player crashed under apple's clout...

Of course this is corporal culture and one can't realistically hold it against them for being in the business of ruthlessly obliterating their competitors, but I was under the impression that they were ALSO in the business of making great products, how about concentrating on fixing the aberration that is the new atv interface then instead?

Fuck me, idiotic points aside, are you running one of those modern computers that has a spellchecker?

Turn it on, dude, turn it on...
  • Reply 25 of 55
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Ok so then Apple wins and get their design approved. Nokia says piss off, no licenses for you. Then what? It doesn't seem that Apple can proceed without key licenses.

if google can..
  • Reply 26 of 55
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

so much for do no evil. Apple is no better than

I wasn't really interested in this topic but read the title and said to myself "I wonder what ZZZ will have to say." You never fail to show your trolling sentiment. We have you pegged on it when we know what you'll say before we read it. But many have put you on the ignore list. This post is to show them you remain true to your core. I find you very entertaining and predictable, just like a ProView.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:

clearly, you have the inside scoop.

troll.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    ewanewan Posts: 36member
    "Apple pledged to offer royalty-free licensing if its design were to win" but I have a strong feeling Apple has already patented the tray that the nano-SIM fits into and they will charge royalty for that. Sneaky!
  • Reply 29 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ewan View Post

"Apple pledged to offer royalty-free licensing if its design were to win" but I have a strong feeling Apple has already patented the tray that the nano-SIM fits into and they will charge royalty for that. Sneaky!

As that's not even possible, your comment is either trolling or satire.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the latter.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Does Apple's proposed standard specifically mandate a tray? That part is odd, it seems to me that should be an implementation option, not a mandate. It seems silly shenanigans abound in this round. There's not a lot of information available on this, many of the comments are a little vague and can read either way.

Other than that, I do prefer the apparent pinout compatibility of Apple's version versus breaking it as RIM and Nokia have each proposed. I can see some benefit to the pin layout changes, I think the other designs allow external trayless card access, but the need for that might assume that one changes SIMs daily. I prefer to keep my old phone as a backup and just pop the card in an adapter.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I wasn't really interested in this topic but read the title and said to myself "I wonder what ZZZ will have to say."

I'm flattered.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Wasn't the decision made to today? When will be find out?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Does Apple's proposed standard specifically mandate a tray? That part is odd, it seems to me that should be an implementation option, not a mandate.

I see nothing with any of the designs that would require or not allow a tray.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Fuck me, idiotic points aside, are you running one of those modern computers that has a spellchecker?

Turn it on, dude, turn it on...

Why use more words, when two just suffice. I ve told you when you took me to task about on instead of in, iPad in portrait mode, autocorrect on.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see nothing with any of the designs that would require or not allow a tray.

I think the industry quotes about tray necessity is probably missing some important context.

For external card slot use, Apple's offering would require a tray, otherwise you might be powering / operating the SIM because if the thing was inserted the opposite edge in first, you could be running power to data pins. The other designs look more like microSD cards, and might be laid out to prevent that. A tray would help set the card orientation and prevent that possible problem. I'm curious how many device designs have external card access like that.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Gratz on first troll in the thread.

You're really starting to get predictable, you might want to change up your routine a little.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Why use more words, when two just suffice. I ve told you when you took me to task about on instead of in, iPad in portrait mode, autocorrect on.

...brain in neutral.

It's cool. We get it. Forget about it.

(Sent from my iPad without any spelling errors. )
  • Reply 37 of 55
    RIM better worry about that stock rather than Apple and their 100 billion war chest of bling!
  • Reply 38 of 55
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post

Gratz on first troll in the thread.

You're really starting to get predictable, you might want to change up your routine a little.

IMHO Trolls are jerks. That said, when you take a person to task for being a jerk, IMO they just become a bigger jerk and find more jerk-ish things to get your attention. That's why many have put ZZZ on their ignore list in the first place.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I doubt Nokia would make more than pennies on the dollar per device if it were solely about royalties since its patents would be FRAND patents, but i dont know exactly.

The biggest issue here for this whole squad going against Apple is that if Apple's design gets chosen every device they make will have to be redesigned to include a SIM tray in some form. Almost every device from Nokia/RIM/Moto has a slide in mechanism on the backside of the phone underneath the battery cover with a piece of metal sitting on top to make sure the SIM stays connected to the contact points and in place.

The current implementation for these 3 is the cheapest you can possibly get, and having to redesign said implementation means adding to the price of the phone (nickels and dimes add up over millions of devices). Not only that but implementing the SIM tray will mean having to completely redesign almost every phone, which will certainly cost more than a few nickels and dimes.

Apple on the other hand has its designs essentially set in stone, they will almost continue to use a SIM tray simply because they have designed their hardware for it and for them to change it is going to cost multi-millions, and could increase material costs for them.

In short, everyone is out for themselves here because whoever loses is gonna be spending a good chunk of change to get things in order.

You've got that wrong. Both the Nokia and RIM proposals are smaller than the nano-SIM proposed by apple, and they are a completely new design. So, those will need to use trays too, and they can be used only on newer phones, cannot be used on the existing ones (which apple's nano-SIM can with a cheap plastic adapter). So, your argument doesn't hold water.

This fight must be about the patents.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If the claims are true,

they would have proof. so where is it