RIM claims Apple using proxy votes to win nano-SIM standard

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Big corporations flexing their muscles. It is the battle for an adoption of the next generation of sim type card usage as a whole for the industry. Of course there is gonna be mud slinging. And Apple is using it's own strategy and I would assume the others are doing the same. May the best corp win.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

They gave iPhone cases for free too...about concentrating on fixing the aberration that is the new atv interface then instead?

Let it go dude, you are not winning. Whining much, yes

Please return your ATV or use ATV Flash so you could install any OS/interface you like if that's your cup of tea. What a moaner
  • Reply 43 of 55
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Appleboys out in force. Kwak kwak. Sounds like a band of sitting ducks.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    What, RIM worry?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

RIM better worry about that stock rather than Apple and their 100 billion war chest of bling!

• Reply 45 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

As that's not even possible, your comment is either trolling or satire.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the latter.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/27/a...nano-sim-war//
  • Reply 46 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

they would have proof. so where is it

Sent to ETSI according to the story.

In addition the vote has now been put off another 30 days with just too much disagreement being the cause.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iamnemani View Post

This fight must be about the patents.

The fight is about Apple wanting to get everybody's valuable IP for free.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The fight is about Apple wanting to get everybody's valuable IP for free.

Let's see if I understand your position:

- It's evil for Apple to want to get someone else's IP 'for free' (ignoring that it's not for free, it's an exchange - and the licensors have the right to decline)

- it's evil for Apple to try to enforce its patents against people who try to steal Apple's IP

The only logical conclusion is that you think it's OK for everyone but Apple to charge for their IP.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I'm flattered.

is that comment SARCASM?..
  • Reply 50 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iamnemani View Post

You've got that wrong. Both the Nokia and RIM proposals are smaller than the nano-SIM proposed by apple, and they are a completely new design. So, those will need to use trays too, and they can be used only on newer phones, cannot be used on the existing ones (which apple's nano-SIM can with a cheap plastic adapter). So, your argument doesn't hold water.

This fight must be about the patents.

The more I think of it, the more I piece together what is probably going on.

I think the other designs are supposed to behave similarly tomicroSD cards - you don't need a tray for a micro SD card. The pins are mainly on one end probably to prevent applying power to data pins in the card was inserted backward. The tray on Apple's existing designs might be in part to make sure the card orientation is correct, the other part is to keep the clean appearance.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    jrg_ukjrg_uk Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Can't wait for the time when Apple is free to sell iPhone w/o carriers tie ups.

They already are, and do (it just costs you a significantly more without the subsidy) but it's the carriers that own the networks. I don't think it's likely they would willingly bulk sell minutes to Apple, and cut off their income from customers that are willing to buy subsidised phones in return for paying slightly over the odds but regular monthly payments.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think the industry quotes about tray necessity is probably missing some important context.

For external card slot use, Apple's offering would require a tray, otherwise you might be powering / operating the SIM because if the thing was inserted the opposite edge in first, you could be running power to data pins. The other designs look more like microSD cards, and might be laid out to prevent that. A tray would help set the card orientation and prevent that possible problem. I'm curious how many device designs have external card access like that.

Thank you, the first post I can get behind. Apples design is just to silly for for words, it's the same SIM card that is in every phone today except that the remaining board around the chip has been removed. When I got my iPhone 4 I literaly took an exacto knife and ruller and made my own Micro SIM from a Mini SIM. I then use an adapter so I could use it my Nokia N9 when I want to play with it.

If a new format is really needed and I really don't think it is because the current standards work just fine. I mean Apple can still take a normal SIM and make their so called patented Micro Sim and Nokia, Blackberry can still use the Mini SIM. But if one is needed then I would like to see something that is completely new and Nokia's or RIM's design is well really better.

Yes, yes troll, don't know what I'm talking about but neither does anyone else on this board. All we can do is give our oppinion and hope not to be flamed for doing so. Oh and we don't know yet if Nokia or RIM will charge anything for their designs yet. Neither has made any statement on the subject we're just guessing but what we do know is Apple doesn't hold all the patents needed to simply clip a normal SIM card and call it's own. Nokia and others, except it or not still owns a lot of the patents that make Apples solution viable. So expect a huge legal battle to come out of this.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

I sincerely hope that gets overturned, and overturned quickly, then.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Thank you, the first post I can get behind. Apples design is just to silly for for words, it's the same SIM card that is in every phone today except that the remaining board around the chip has been removed. When I got my iPhone 4 I literaly took an exacto knife and ruller and made my own Micro SIM from a Mini SIM. I then use an adapter so I could use it my Nokia N9 when I want to play with it.

If a new format is really needed and I really don't think it is because the current standards work just fine. I mean Apple can still take a normal SIM and make their so called patented Micro Sim and Nokia, Blackberry can still use the Mini SIM. But if one is needed then I would like to see something that is completely new and Nokia's or RIM's design is well really better.

Just to be clear, the nano SIM is what is being discussed here. The micro SIM is what Apple uses right now and that has been a standard before Apple started making phones, anyone can use it. I think people associate it with Apple because the first major brand to fully adopt it, or at least it seems that way.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Just to be clear, the nano SIM is what is being discussed here. The micro SIM is what Apple uses right now and that has been a standard before Apple started making phones, anyone can use it. I think people associate it with Apple because the first major brand to fully adopt it, or at least it seems that way.

Yea Im getting so mixed up with all these names, the Nano still uses the the same technology that the micro uses and you will be able to use the nano with an adapter in the iPhone 4S. You can still make Nano with a knife and ruler, my comment hasn't changed let it be Nano or Micro its the same sim chip we all use and love in all of our phones.