Apple's 'brand power' tops Japanese consumer survey

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple was named as Japan's top consumer brand on Friday, the first time the company has received the title.

In the Brand Japan 2012 survey conducted by Nikkei BP Consulting Inc., Apple's key products like the iPad helped the company beat out 999 other brands to take top honors.

The iPhone maker moved up ten spots from its 11th place finish in 2011 and scored 90.5 points for "total brand power," a number derived from the results of some 52,000 people aged 18 and older. International heavyweights Google, YouTube, and a number of Japanese market brands were also in the running.

Apple's products also performed well in the survey, with the iPad and two other unnamed devices placing as top-40 brands.

It can be deduced that the iPhone was one a top-rated device as the handset recently took over as the best-selling smartphone in Japan. Led by the iPhone 4S, Apple took a 26.6 percent share of the market during the winter quarter. Siri was also launched earlier in March, though the voice assistant has faced trouble with certain Japanese phrases.

Apple Store in Nagoya Sakae. | Source: Apple

Apple took second place out of 500 brands in the business category, which evaluated responses from the corporate, and was bested by international giant Toyota Motor Corp.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple was named as Japan's top consumer brand on Friday, the first time the company has received the title.

In the Brand Japan 2012 survey conducted by Nikkei BP Consulting Inc., Apple's key products like the iPad helped the company beat out 999 other brands to take top honors.

best-selling smartphone in Japan. Led by the iPhone 4S, Apple took a 26.6 percent share of the market during the winter quarter.

Apple took second place out of 500 brands in the business category, which evaluated responses from the corporate, and was bested by international giant Toyota Motor Corp.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

This really is a most significant achievement to win the top brand slot in the country which for decades has been the home of top selling, top brand consumer electronics.

One of Apple's greatest enduring competitive advantages is the way it consistently achieves the highest consumer satisfaction and retention ratings (i.e.Brand loyalty) in the US and other Western Countries. Now, in more an more countries across the globe, is is achieving similar Brand advantages, not least in China which may become Apple's largest single market.

However, to have achieved this in Japan is a tremendous, with significant long term implications in another huge market with 130 million relatively affluent people who are obsessed with their gadgets and devices. How long can DoCoMo hold out without offering iPhones, thereby = losing market share and the cream of its subscribers to its smaller rivals?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Steve Jobs bet that consumers would rather buy something more expensive that to the touch is better built and with the OS feels more integrated and allows a person to perform the most routine tasks in a more intuitive and consistent manner.

The PC Industry laughed at him.

One by one they are closing their doors, while Apple opens more doors.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

This really is a most significant achievement to win the top brand slot in the country which for decades has been the home of top selling, top brand consumer electronics.

I agree. Japan is a big market, with lots of top rank companies. To be well thought of in Japan is a huge accomplishment.,

I wander how well other American companies have fared in their categories? Coke? Nike? I'm under the impression that Japanese consumers like western stuff in general and American stuff in particular. Are Chevy and Ford well thought of in Japan?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Steve Jobs bet that consumers would rather buy something more expensive that to the touch is better built and with the OS feels more integrated and allows a person to perform the most routine tasks in a more intuitive and consistent manner.

Yes. Time and again we see that consumers prefer high quality, aspirational products and are prepared to pay more for them.

Indeed expensive prices are an intrinsic part of their exclusivity and attraction: whether its designer clothes, designer sports gear, quality cars like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar, Cadillac, Lincoln, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari, Maserati or Bugatti , or travelling first class, five start hotels, expensive restaurants and wines, jewellery and prestige watch brands - the list goes on and on.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

One of Apple's greatest enduring competitive advantages is the way it consistently achieves the highest consumer satisfaction and retention ratings (i.e.Brand loyalty) in the US and other Western Countries. Now, in more an more countries across the globe, is is achieving similar Brand advantages, not least in China which may become Apple's largest single market.

However, to have achieved this in Japan is a tremendous, with significant long term implications in another huge market with 130 million relatively affluent people who are obsessed with their gadgets and devices. How long can DoCoMo hold out without offering iPhones, thereby = losing market share and the cream of its subscribers to its smaller rivals?

You're ignoring another important factor. While Japan has become far more cosmopolitan since I first traveled there 25 years ago, Japanese still tend to favor domestic products, especially among the older ones.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I agree. Japan is a big market, with lots of top rank companies. To be well thought of in Japan is a huge accomplishment.,

I wander how well other American companies have fared in their categories? Coke? Nike? I'm under the impression that Japanese consumers like western stuff in general and American stuff in particular. Are Chevy and Ford well thought of in Japan?

Actually Zither you raise an interesting point. Japanese love American and European culture and many aspects of Western way of life.

But in many respects the US andEurope are struggling to compete in the new global economy.

I am really quite surprised at the number of Americans who run down and rubbish Apple, when they really ought to be proud of its immense achievements. It has become the most universally admired American company which has almost single handedly completely turned around the US image in consumer electronics and computer devices.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Actually Zither you raise an interesting point. Japanese love American and European culture and many aspects of Western way of life.

But in many respects the US andEurope are struggling to compete in the new global economy.

I am really quite surprised at the number of Americans who run down and rubbish Apple, when they really ought to be proud of its immense achievements. It has become the most universally admired American company which has almost single handedly completely turned around the US image in consumer electronics and computer devices.

The criticism is coming from pro-labor groups, not the average person. People exhibit sheeplike behavior when it comes to these things. If they have no opinion, they will simply mindlessly follow a vocal minority.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You're ignoring another important factor. While Japan has become far more cosmopolitan since I first traveled there 25 years ago, Japanese still tend to favor domestic products, especially among the older ones.

So true, They are extremely nationalistic, but at the same time admire and copy a great deal about the US and Europe.

However , when it comes to consumer electronics and gadgets, they have always preferred and been very proud of Japanese products and companies.

This just makes Apple's achievements even more dazzling!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    swssws Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

+1

When the electronics choices are cluttered with black and grey plastic gadgets that all look fairly similar and offer the same user experience for discounted prices; the clean, simple, elegant Apple line of products offer the buyer something fresh. Something more.

The proof is in the pudding....
  • Reply 11 of 17
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The criticism is coming from pro-labor groups, not the average person.

Now, that is truly hilarious! Who do you suppose constitutes "labor" if not the "average person"?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The conventional wisdom just keeps getting knocked down....

Over the last few years these very boards were full of people belligerently insisting that:

-- Apple would barely make a dent in RIM's business, and the idea that RIM might face any challenges from such upstarts was ludicrous...

-- Nokia was playing from a position of unassailable strength and the idea that the changes wrought in the industry by the iPhone would do them any significant harm was ludicrous...

-- Japan was far ahead of the West in terms of sophisticated consumer electronics, they demanded certain features that Apple couldn't or wouldn't deliver, and the idea that a toy like the iPhone would impress these discerning consumers was ludicrous...

I wonder which of the obvious stumbling blocks/invulnerability of competitors we're being lectured about even now will look equally stupid in a few years?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Now, that is truly hilarious! Who do you suppose constitutes "labor" if not the "average person"?

Well yeah one could get confused on that point. But if you dig a little deeper, you find they truly aren't the same. Pro-labor Groups often don't have the laborers best interest at heart. IMO Pro-Labor Groups have their own agenda that has very little to due with the average person. These labor leaders are like politicians who are more interested with retaining their power than allowing the free market place to work for laborers. Apple's Brand being #1 in consumer electronic in Japan is probably the biggest honor/award Apple couldn't possibly get from its peers in the CE industry.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Presumably the $150,000 a year Union Representatives who no longer have the rank and file's interests at heart.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I don't have concrete figures, but the Coca Cola company has something like an 80% share of drinks or something like that.

There is a big difference from the US, though: variety. The average drink machine here offers a very wide selection of drinks: hot and cold tea and coffee, corn soup, Gatorade like drinks and yeah, cola.

I'll check machine when I go out a little later.

---

Apple's image here has risen here in Japan, and if I could see a chart I wonder if it would suggest a major rise in the past two years. They pulled a few major changes a couple of years ago and things improved. At least to me, the changes were welcome because dealing with Apple Japan was a most unpleasant experience. Haven't had to deal directly with them lately so I can't say how much they have changed, but the friends I have who own Apple products are all happier recently, which is a good sign.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Presumably the $150,000 a year Union Representatives who no longer have the rank and file's interests at heart.

Hear, hear!
  • Reply 17 of 17
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Following up on my proviso post: there are three drink machines near my home. Two had selections of about 20 different drinks. One had 32, with some repeats for hot and cold varieties of the same drink.

The machines allow payment with cell phones (whatever that system is called). Perhaps Apple.... (not holding my breath).