TV and Timezones

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Can someone explain to my why the central time zone gets shows an hour earlier then all the other time zones. Also are feeds for the west coast and mountain time re-broadcast from New york or are they tapeed and replayed (does that make the quality less?) anyone care to explain?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    People in the midwest have earlier bed times. Not much to do if you're not on either coast. Sad but true.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Some Mountain time shows are an hour earlier too. Local news at 10 rather than 11 and Letterman/Leno at 10:30 rather than 11:30, for example.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The shows are on at the same time as the east cost. Mekes it easy for live events like news and sports to fit in with the taped stuff, I guess.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    i knew a chik from colorado who was used to the early shows. she said she prefered it. she said that her whole day was pretty much 1h behind. i found it odd and disturbing. other than that she was an ok broad.

"west" coast shows are rebroadcast by the stations, i dont think they are recorded from est then redone.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It gets even funkier for live broadcasts. During the Salt Lake City Olympics the event schedules were catered to ET and not MT or even PT. So what happens? Tape delay for the West Coast even though it's only one hour off of SLC's MT.

I imagine the same thing would happen if the Olympics were held in Seattle, SF or LA. The events would start early for ET primetime broadcasts, and PT would still get a tape delay...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>People in the midwest have earlier bed times. Not much to do if you're not on either coast. Sad but true. </strong><hr></blockquote>

What the heck do YOU know?

What is there 'to do' ANYwhere, in general?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>

What the heck do YOU know?

What is there 'to do' ANYwhere, in general?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I mean besides chewing straw and cow tipping. Unless Paw drives into the city on Sunday, then there's plenty to do!

edit: for all the city folk like me that have never seen a cow, the beast be below....

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: Outsider ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    U.S. stuff is on an hour later here (Atlantic Time).