Thanks to the ZenBook, I'm no longer recommending MacBooks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I frequent a site called OSnews.com and I came across this little story that I found interesting. This site is pretty Apple eccentric as is most places that are in my bookmarks. Anyway I found it interesting as well as the comments. I was wondering if there any of you who feel the same or otherwise.

http://www.osnews.com/story/25746/Th...nding_MacBooks

Thanks to the ZenBook, I'm no longer recommending MacBooks

posted by Thom Holwerda on Tue 27th Mar 2012 22:17 UTC

For years and years now (since the first G4 iBooks), whenever someone asked me for advice about what laptop to buy, my standard answer was simple: get an Apple laptop. Doesn't matter which one. Apple was so far ahead of the competition it just wasn't funny anymore. This past weekend, though, marked the end of an era for me: for the first time, I advised someone to get an Asus ZenBook instead.

The reasons for advising people to get Apple laptops instead of a Windows laptop were straightforward. Mac OS X was miles ahead of the dreadful Windows XP (I hate XP with a passion), and Vista wasn't much of an improvement. Mac OS X was easier to work with, more stable, generally more pleasant to use.

On top of that, the iBook and PowerBook were so much better than competing Windows offerings it stopped being funny. Sure, raw performance wasn't their strongest point, but everything else was. They had better build quality, were lighter, thinner, and prettier, and, if you go back far enough, they were distinctive (when I toted an iBook around at university back in 2004-2005, I was the only one). The first Intel-based Apple laptops continued this trend.

When Windows 7 was released, one major advantage of Apple laptops - a better operating system - vanished. At least, it did for most people, including myself. For me, Windows 7 is faster, lighter, and easier to use than Mac OS X, and when it was released, I pretty much dropped Mac OS X like a stone. While this won't apply to everyone, operating system surely is no longer a truly valid reason to pry people away from Windows.

As great as Windows 7 was, Apple still had the better hardware. Especially the MacBook Air (except maybe the first generation due to its price) showed us what laptops ought to be like, but with the Air's internals being designed by Intel, it would only be a matter of time before similar notebooks would pop up for Windows.

And they did, and we know them as ultrabooks. So, when my MacBook Air was up for replacement late last year, I jumped ship to Windows laptops - for the first time since 2004. After looking at what the market had to offer, I chose Asus' ZenBook, and while it took them a few driver versions to work the kinks out of the dodgy touchpad, I couldn't be happier.

Build quality is phenomenal - solid, no flexing. I prefer the ZenBook's dark and angular design over the Air's light, rounder design; the ZenBook feels and looks more professional. The ZenBook's Bang & Olufsen speakers are so much better than Apple's flimsy speakers they alone could be a deciding factor if you watch a lot of video on your laptop (like I do). Sleep/wake is instant, and cold boot and shutdown take only a few seconds.

It's not quite up to Apple standards in all areas, though; the keyboard is slightly less pleasant to type on, and the touchpad, while quite good with the latest drivers, is simply still not up to the exquisite quality of Apple's (a Windows 7 issue, actually, since the exact same drivers on Windows 8 deliver an Apple-quality experience).

So, when my aunt, long-time Windows user, called me this weekend and asked me to buy a laptop for her, I didn't rattle off my usual list of reasons to go Apple. Instead, I told her I'd buy her a ZenBook, since it comes with the software she knows and likes (Windows), and it's almost every bit as good as an Air. Those few areas where Apple still has an edge are simply not enough to justify ripping her away from the software she likes.

As crazy as this sounds, this was actually a bit of a big deal for me. I've grown so accustomed to convincing people to buy Apple laptops that it felt like ending an era - an era that started with my favourite laptop of all time (if I still had it, I would kiss my iBook G4 goodnight every night), but which has now ended with ultrabooks. They won't do anything to stop Cupertino's stellar laptop shipments, but I personally no longer see a reason to steer people towards MacBooks (unless they specifically want to, of course).

That being said, I'll hold on to that standard list of reasons to buy Apple laptops. After all, Windows 8 is right around the corner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    As much as I think the Asus Zenbook is nice I don't know if it's still as nice as my Macbook Air. I'm also still not a fan of Windows 7 and what I've seen so far of Windows 8 that to is looking like a nightmare. I do however really like Linux and if the Zenbook were to say run Mint Linux well I might give it a second look.

The only problems I have ever had with my Macbooks is the battery. They seem to loose their charge fairly quickly after a years time but besides that, for me only the Thinkpads can beat a Macbook in quality and longevity.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I frequent a site called OSnews.com and I came across this little story that I found interesting. This site is pretty Apple eccentric.....

You think Thom Holwerda is "Apple centric"?

Think again.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

You think Thom Holwerda is "Apple centric"?

Think again.

The site features many stories about Apple and most are very positive. The only time where I see Apple presented in a ugly light is when thei talking about the lawsuits.

He has a new iPad, for somebody who suppposedly dislikes Apple he sure has a enough of them.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    WHy don't you go spout off against apple products on a NON-APPLE site instead of APPLE insider? you and your lame "toys" are so lame...should have put this troll on ignore long ago.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The site features many stories about Apple and most are very positive. The only time where I see Apple presented in a ugly light is when thei talking about the lawsuits.

Yes, Thom is like the OSNews version of our very own Gatorguy!

And no, there are Apple news stories but he usually likes to add some kind of snide negative spin. He is pandering to his audience. You should enjoy it there.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Yes, Thom is like the OSNews version of our very own Gatorguy!

And no, there are Apple news stories but he usually likes to add some kind of snide negative spin. He is pandering to his audience. You should enjoy it there.

Well he did give the iPad the best tablet, but no one can deny that. I threw the story up because MacRumors picked it up and it started a debate whither there are now better Windows laptops.

There are some nice ones but for me I still think Macbooks have them all beat. Though the Zenbook does have a cool rez of 1600 x 900.

If I new people were going to talk more about OSnew.com I wouldn't have bothered, sorry I didn't know that it was a sour subject.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

WHy don't you go spout off against apple products on a NON-APPLE site instead of APPLE insider? you and your lame "toys" are so lame...should have put this troll on ignore long ago.

Screw you, this story was posted over on Macrumors first, I thought it would be fun to see if we could actually find a better laptop then the Macbooks as there are clearly none. I only have a problem with iOS as it is to closed off for my likening the rest of the Apple line up I own and adore. The only time I do post something about Android is in it's defense from other people bashing it, I think that's the lame toys remark comes from. I'm not here as a Troll.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    He must have been using a different Windows7 than the Windows7 I use.

... It's still no match for OSX... though that's obviously a subjective judgement and I suppose some people might like it better.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

He must have been using a different Windows7 than the Windows7 I use.

... It's still no match for OSX... though that's obviously a subjective judgement and I suppose some people might like it better.

I still can't stand using Windows as my main desktop OS. I'm a Unix girl threw and threw. Tbough I am looking foward to see what Windows 8 for ARM is all about. If I can just be in the Metro mode it might be a really cool OS.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    I don't see what's so special about the zenbook; from the reviews I've read and the few minutes I've played with it at best buy, I was pretty unimpressed.

Even with all the ultrabooks out now, I still think the macbook is the best consumer laptop out there, and by a pretty large margin. Personally I graviate more towards the "business" laptops. I've had great experience with IBM thinkpads and dell latitudes over the years. Those are probably the only wintel laptops I would consider.

Ironically, regardless of how good os x is, I think the best thing apple has done for their laptops is allow dual booting of windows and osx. I know quite a few people who never would have considered a mac if it wasn't for that ability.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I don't see what's so special about the zenbook; from the reviews I've read and the few minutes I've played with it at best buy, I was pretty unimpressed.

Even with all the ultrabooks out now, I still think the macbook is the best consumer laptop out there, and by a pretty large margin. Personally I graviate more towards the "business" laptops. I've had great experience with IBM thinkpads and dell latitudes over the years. Those are probably the only wintel laptops I would consider.

Ironically, regardless of how good os x is, I think the best thing apple has done for their laptops is allow dual booting of windows and osx. I know quite a few people who never would have considered a mac if it wasn't for that ability.

I dual boot my Macbook Air into Solaris 11 but I also find the Thinkpads to be one of the best business laptops around. They just refuse to die, I have a x61 tablet version that I replaced with a Thinkpad X220. The X61 is still such a great notebook that I couldn't get rid of it, I now use it as a testing platform. I have Windows 8 on it and it runs flawlessly. Plus it was one of the first laptops that supported multitouch. I can't wait till Apple has a multitouch laptop.