RIM not leaving consumer market despite dismal earnings

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

For that to work Apple would have to cease innovating. Fat chance, I am sure Steve left a decade's worth of advances and even without those the team he left has to ability to keep going for decades to come. They have the money to educate their own. In fact I suspect half of them are Cylons already!

I wouldn't assume all of the ideas came from the top. He didn't seem to plan things out very far at all. Anyway what they have right now is momentum and a lot of talent. There's too much focus on a single person there.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

They'd need to be thinking about a different box even then. This box is occupied by the greatest innovative company that has ever existed and RIM has snowball's chance in hell of getting back into this product area.

To date, their products either look like everything they've ever produced, or a copy of something else.

RIM = Research In Motion? More like Regurgitation In Stagnation.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    rbelsrbels Posts: 29member
    Late in the game for comments, but my few cents:

IMO, BB s/w is one of the best i have used for productivity purpose. When my managers whine about having no access to FB (corporate restrictions), I feel pity about them. The corporate handsets are supposed to be used for work and not for posting bathroom photos on FB!

Anyone who used the BB navigation would fall in love with it. I agree the screen area sucks, but hopefully this would be addressed with BB10.

Given how corporates have shifted in the last 1-2 years due to the amount of untrue publicity around the app availability, I seriously think if the negative publicity was paid for! Angry birds, face painting apps, other apps sucking the address book on an enterprise device? give me a break!

On other side, its not the device that nearly killed RIM. its the BS called BES. Why as an individual user do I need to subscribe to expensive BES service? My carrier back home enables BES without asking me, later justifying its just 3 months trial offer. I do not need this BS and I dont want to pay even after those 3 months. Obviously, the subscribers will shift to other carriers or if the coverage is not better elsewhere, they will switch the handsets.

I would suggest RIM should only concentrate on BES for those who want to move to this secure platform and leave the rest to their own choice of the data plans.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

There is a way to beat Apple. Leapfrog them like they did with the traditional cellphone makers.

It'll take a helluva lot more than that.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

To date, their products either look like everything they've ever produced, or a copy of something else.

RIM = Research In Motion? More like Regurgitation In Stagnation.

In what world does M stand for a word starting with S... ?
  • Reply 26 of 30
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

In what world does M stand for a word starting with S... ?

That's called 'sarcasm', suggesting that instead of 'motion', RIM is in 'stagnation'. It's in the family of wordplay related to malapropism. Unfortunately, you missed the joke...
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

That's called 'sarcasm', suggesting that instead of 'motion', RIM is in 'stagnation'. It's in the family of wordplay related to malapropism. Unfortunately, you missed the joke...

No kidding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j7ftfRiWlg

• Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I hope BB10 is a success but there seems to be nothing that indicates that it will be. Are they 2 years away from being another Palm?

As one who refused to carry a company issued Blackberry back in the Cult of Crackberry days (I truly hated those things), even I hope they don't go away completely. But with executives leaving and the strategy and execution looking more like the Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight, than a high tech innovator, that could be.

Quote:

2) After horrible quarterly results there stock is up 7% today. For the life of me I can't figure out the market.

The vultures are circling what looks (to some) to be a walking corpse. The thinking is, broken up into pieces, RIM may be worth more than it is as a whole. Most of the talk Friday evening was about who the potential buyers might be. Bloomberg had a very informative run down.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    They are just selling devices designed for enterprises to willing consumers.

• Reply 30 of 30
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    From my perspective, RIM should?

1) Hire a set of iOS, Android, and Windows developers.

2) Use them to create a set of RIM messaging apps based on their existing platform.

3) Convince new and existing Enterprise partners that they need to roll out a secure, cross-platform messaging system for their employees to use on their existing smartphones and tablets.

iMessage isn?t cross-platform. AIM and others don?t have the security brand or or the trusted back-end infrastructure that RIM has.

http://www.iSights.org/2012/04/note-...re-stupid.html