Ashton Kutcher reportedly cast as Steve Jobs for indie biopic

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Actor Ashton Kutcher has been cast to play late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs in an independent film about his growth from "wayward hippie" to entrepreneur, according to a new report.

Variety's Jeff Sneider reported on Sunday that Kutcher, who plays Walden Schmidt on "Two and a Half Men," will portray the executive in the film, reportedly entitled "Jobs." Joshua Michael Stern is said to direct the movie.

Though the news was quickly dismissed by some as an April Fool's Day prank, Sneider repeatedly claimed on Twitter that it was a legitimate story.

The film is expected to cover the founding of Apple, Jobs' ousting from the company and his return. Sneider said he had heard that it would not depict his "later years."

Kutcher himself is heavily involved in the technology industry. He is a prominent investor in a number of Internet startups and is an active presence on Twitter. The similarity in his appearance to the young Steve Jobs had been previously noted, prompting early speculation that he might be eventually be cast as Jobs.

Left: Ashton Kutcher, Right: Steve Jobs in 1977, via Hollywood Reporter | Credit: Getty Images.

The Hollywood Reporter added in its own report that "principal photography" will begin in May while Kutcher was on break from "Two and a Half Men." Matt Whiteley reportedly wrote the script for the film.

Sony Pictures is also reported to be producing a movie about Jobs based on his biography by Walter Isaacson. Aaron Sorkin, who wrote the screenplay for "The Social Network," is said to be seriously considering work on the film. Actors George Clooney and Noah Wyle are rumored to be in contention for the role of Jobs in the film. Wyle previously portrayed Jobs in a 1999 movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley" about the fierce rivalry between Apple and Microsoft.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    Please God, NO! Let it be an April Fool's gag because I'd much rather have Charlie Sheen or ANYONE else than Ashton Kutcher. ANYONE!
  • Reply 2 of 60
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    YIKES!!!!
  • Reply 3 of 60
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Oh great. First he was Kelso, then he was Kelso playing gags on people (punk'd). Then Kelso in two and a half men. Now it will be Kelso playing Steve Jobs. Kelso is the only part he can play.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

Please God, NO! Let it be an April Fool's gag because I'd much rather have Charlie Sheen or ANYONE else than Ashton Kutcher. ANYONE!

I don't like Ashton Kucher at all, but I think the casting is perfect. He has just the right amount of arrogance and not caring what anyone else thinks.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    Dude, Where's My iPhone?
  • Reply 6 of 60
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Going against the trend as usual, I'm going to say good, bring it on, the more movies about Steve Jobs, the better.

If Sony's going to make their Steve Job movie, then why shouldn't somebody else make an indie movie about Steve Jobs also? That increases the chances of one of them being good. I have my doubts about the Sony movie, since it seems like they're trying to hire the writer from the Social Network, and I'm not really interested in seeing a boring Social Network 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if I like the indie movie better than the big studio movie, but I'll reserve final judgement until I have seen them both.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    So Noah Wyle, the guy that already knows how to play Steve Jobs, the guy that actually looks like Steve Jobs, and the guy on whose performance Steve Jobs personally signed off?

? isn't going to reprise his role.

?

This better be a lie. Though it IS Sony, after all.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This better be a lie. Though it IS Sony, after all.

You read it wrong. There's going to be two separate Steve Jobs movies coming out now.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    I heard Fabio was going to play Steve-o, long hair and all. In the end he rides off with the CEO of HP. It's gonna be a real bodice ripper.

Don Knotts has been lined up to play Bill Gates and Tarzen's old chimp sidekick was penciled in to play Steve Ballmer. What with Gadaffi dead, they have yet to find anyone evil enough to play Google's CEO.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't like Ashton Kucher at all, but I think the casting is perfect. He has just the right amount of arrogance and not caring what anyone else thinks.

I agree. He'll be perfect for the role but will he pull it off. This might be defining for his career to really nail the image of Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You read it wrong. There's going to be two separate Steve Jobs movies coming out now.

This is idiotic. Why do we need two of them?

Look, all we need is a "Pirates of Silicon Valley II" equivalent, depicting Steve from ousting (yes, show the ousting) through Pixar and NeXT and then ending with him dropping the i from the iCEO title (so it shows the great stuff post-Apple revive at the end of the 90s and the early naughties).

And then when Noah's a little older (read: not before 2018 at the earliest) and it can be done tastefully, a "Pirates of Silicon Valley III" equivalent that shows Steve from returning as CEO to his resignation (yes, not death).

Really what I want to see is Noah Wyle playing an older Steve Jobs on a cell phone to Schmidt at Burning Man. "YOU'RE STEALING FROM US?!" If they mirror the first movie properly, it'll be a powerful scene.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Honestly I don't see this guy as having the talent to pull this off. In my opinion he is a comedy actor. I can think of better people to play Steve.

I think Noah Wyle would be the best person to play Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

[Noah Wyle image]

Ah, even with a beard? Just salt it up a little and give him the Lennon glasses?
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is idiotic. Why do we need two of them?

Look, all we need is a "Pirates of Silicon Valley II" equivalent, depicting Steve from ousting (yes, show the ousting) through Pixar and NeXT and then ending with him dropping the i from the iCEO title (so it shows the great stuff post-Apple revive at the end of the 90s and the early naughties).

And then when Noah's a little older (read: not before 2018 at the earliest) and it can be done tastefully, a "Pirates of Silicon Valley III" equivalent that shows Steve from returning as CEO to his resignation (yes, not death).

Really what I want to see is Noah Wyle playing an older Steve Jobs on a cell phone to Schmidt at Burning Man. "YOU'RE STEALING FROM US?!" If they mirror the first movie properly, it'll be a powerful scene.

But do you trust Sony to do the right thing? Maybe their movie will be good or maybe it will suck.

I see having two movies as a good thing.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I don't see why he's be chosen at all.

2) I'd be shocked if anyone on this site would need "Left: Ashton Kutcher, Right: Steve Jobs" to tell who's who.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Well, they both have a history of humiliating people...and there's always the magic of make-up!
  • Reply 17 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well, they both have a history of humiliating people...and there's always the magic of make-up!

My issue with the choice is with the voice, speech patterns and mannerisms of Jobs that we all know very well since he was a showman. Maybe Kutcher can pull it off but I have yet to see Kutcher speak in a way that wasn't his normal speaking voice.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if I like the indie movie better than the big studio movie, but I'll reserve final judgement until I have seen them both.

That would be a smart move I guess. I mean, it would be hard to do otherwise, right?
  • Reply 19 of 60
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My issue with the choice is with the voice, speech patterns and mannerisms of Jobs that we all know very well since he was a showman. Maybe Kutcher can pull it off but I have yet to see Kutcher speak in a way that wasn't his normal speaking voice.

I hope the way he spoke in 'Punked' was not his normal speaking voice. But no matter, I also doubt Kutcher can pull it off. My guess is that he'll overdo it and it will all be very wrong. But then again, maybe he / they will bring something new to the table.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    I think Noah Wyle did a fantastic job in his prior SJ role. Ashton Kutcher does not have what it takes. If you ask me he is a very one dimensional actor.

He can't even pull off a good 2 and a Half Men replacement, IMO.