Will the iPad-4 be More Slim than iPad-3 ?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Will the iPad-4 be Slim than iPad-3 ? I do know the iPad-3 with such beefed up specs and Display could not have managed with the iPad-2?s battery and hence the Bulk of the Battery. But if you guys recollect there was this talk about Apple talking to sharp for IGZO displays which would have achieved Retina Display with the required Pixel Per Inch at the same time not adding to the Bulk of the battery.

So if were to talk about now that the iPad lineage has reached its optimum I mean now everything is there, what else could it get? better display, better battery, better GPU. I don?t think Apple will experiment with its size. So Now the only desirable thing left is maybe if it was slimmer if not dramatically atleast to what iPad-2 is. So how realistic is this thought that maybe iPad-4 will be slimmer than iPad-3. Which I think is now only possible if Apple changes the Display Technology used because, had it been possible in the current Display they would have already done it. So now only if it is IGZO or something similar, can it get slimmer and in other respect I think the iPad Family as a product has reached the optimum isn?t it ?

And of course the endless need for faster and more faster processor and GPU which is never ending

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by augustya View Post

Will the iPad-4 be Slim than iPad-3 ?

We can't possibly know that?

Quote:

But if you guys recollect there was this talk about Apple talking to sharp for IGZO displays which would have achieved Retina Display with the required Pixel Per Inch at the same time not adding to the Bulk of the battery.

Wait, what? If there were displays that used so much less power that they didn't even need a bigger battery, why didn't Apple use them? I realize there were some problems with the IGZO panels, but if what you've said is true, that sounds like waiting would have been a perfectly acceptable option.

Quote:

So if were to talk about now that the iPad lineage has reached its optimum I mean now everything is there, what else could it get?

Not 'everything' is there. And people were saying this about the iPhone in 2008; now look what it's like.

Quote:

I don?t think Apple will experiment with its size.

Nor do I. Well, bigger. We'll see bigger multitouch solutions.

Quote:

So how realistic is this thought that maybe iPad-4 will be slimmer than iPad-3.

Eh, fairly. Battery tech could change as well.

Quote:

I think the iPad Family as a product has reached the optimum isn?t it ?

"You ain't seen nothin' yet."
  • Reply 2 of 12
    augustyaaugustya Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, what? If there were displays that used so much less power that they didn't even need a bigger battery, why didn't Apple use them? I realize there were some problems with the IGZO panels, but if what you've said is true, that sounds like waiting would have been a perfectly acceptable option.

Waiting for whom Apple ? Or for consumers ?

Quote:

"You ain't seen nothin' yet."

So what is your guess, speculation ? Will the iPad-4 be slimmer than iPad-3 ?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Waiting for whom Apple ? Or for consumers ?

If the panel would have allowed a retina display without any extra power draw, Apple should have waited until they got it right.

Quote:

So what is your guess, speculation ? Will the iPad-4 be slimmer than iPad-3 ?

Oh, I make a point of not doing that until about the week before a product launch. It's not out of the question, but there's no guarantee of it.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Oh, I make a point of not doing that until about the week before a product launch. It's not out of the question, but there's no guarantee of it.

Man ! With 9 Thousand plus posts on this product and u wanna still play it safe :-) By now u could be a genius working at one of the Apple Store. C'mon man take a shot, take a guess will it be more slim or not ?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    There is a high probability next year's iPad will be slimmer because it's probable the A6 will use a smaller manufacturing process + IGZO screen which both lead to higher energy efficiency. I think Apple is ok with the 10h battery life and would rather push for a slimmer and/or lighter device.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The current iPad is fairly thin as it is. Go too thin and you end up with structural problems.

Quote:

Will the iPad-4 be Slim than iPad-3 ? I do know the iPad-3 with such beefed up specs and Display could not have managed with the iPad-2?s battery and hence the Bulk of the Battery. But if you guys recollect there was this talk about Apple talking to sharp for IGZO displays which would have achieved Retina Display with the required Pixel Per Inch at the same time not adding to the Bulk of the battery.

Almost all of that extra battery power goes to drive the LED backlight. In part to get a better quality of light and in part to up the intensity to push light through the smaller pixels and filters. There is nothing about Sharps technology that would completely eliminate those two issues.

Quote:

So if were to talk about now that the iPad lineage has reached its optimum I mean now everything is there, what else could it get?

What makes you think everything is there? Maybe you lack imagination but there are many avenues for Apple to follow here.

Quote:

better display, better battery, better GPU. I don?t think Apple will experiment with its size. So Now the only desirable thing left is maybe if it was slimmer if not dramatically atleast to what iPad-2 is.

So 8 tenths of a millimeter is bothering you?

Quote:

So how realistic is this thought that maybe iPad-4 will be slimmer than iPad-3. Which I think is now only possible if Apple changes the Display Technology used because, had it been possible in the current Display they would have already done it. So now only if it is IGZO or something similar, can it get slimmer and in other respect I think the iPad Family as a product has reached the optimum isn?t it ?

Optimum????? Are you nuts or something, there are many desires expressed for the iPad in these forums every day. I say this bluntly as I really love my iPad 3, but it does have its short comings.

Quote:

And of course the endless need for faster and more faster processor and GPU which is never ending

Any thoughts ?

Yeah, stagnation almost killed Apple off awhile back. I think the management and the engineering teams are acutely aware of that and will push very hard with continual improvement to the entire iOS line up. IPad will remain more or less the same externally for some time, after all it is nothing but a slab. Internally iPad will move forward every year. At the same time the iOS line up will continue to expand.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Will the iPad-4 be Slim than iPad-3 ? I do know the iPad-3 with such beefed up specs and Display could not have managed with the iPad-2’s battery and hence the Bulk of the Battery. But if you guys recollect there was this talk about Apple talking to sharp for IGZO displays which would have achieved Retina Display with the required Pixel Per Inch at the same time not adding to the Bulk of the battery.

So if were to talk about now that the iPad lineage has reached its optimum I mean now everything is there, what else could it get? better display, better battery, better GPU. I don’t think Apple will experiment with its size. So Now the only desirable thing left is maybe if it was slimmer if not dramatically atleast to what iPad-2 is. So how realistic is this thought that maybe iPad-4 will be slimmer than iPad-3. Which I think is now only possible if Apple changes the Display Technology used because, had it been possible in the current Display they would have already done it. So now only if it is IGZO or something similar, can it get slimmer and in other respect I think the iPad Family as a product has reached the optimum isn’t it ?

Any thoughts ?

Yes, there are several fronts which Apple needs to work on. The iPad can be up to 50% lighter than it is. It can be up to 50% thinner. Just throwing it out there. Slimmer, particularly lighter, is better.

It is true, IMO, that Apple will not mess with the physical design much. However, the next step is to "merge" two iPads together to make the next pure-multitouch MacBook Air.

Next, GPU. GPU needs to be Retina-driving - Nvidia 9600GT 2xSLI 512MB VRAM - class graphics (without the meltdowns) by end of 2014 to destroy current-gen consoles once-and-for-all and establish the iPad as the indisputable gaming device. Currently the Xbox360 struggles at 1280x720 and barely makes it to Nvidia 8400GT 256MB VRAM class graphics, with PS3 further behind that.

CPU ~ no brainer here, Apple needs to go big.Litte ARM, ie. dual ARM A7 paired with dual ARM A15. Intel needs to be blown out of the water once-and-for-all too in terms of price/peformance/power.

Remember. Post PC device. And we've only just started. Buckle up, 2020 is looking good
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Nor do I. Well, bigger. We'll see bigger multitouch solutions.

I'm sure many have done this, but try it yourself and you will know there is no way you will not want a "laptop" like this, for the rest of this decade.

Take one iPad. Take another iPad. Pretend it is a laptop by "joining" them together on one edge, whereby both screens form the "inner" surface of the laptop.

Boom!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

So 8 tenths of a millimeter is bothering you?

I wish they had stuck with the Thickness and Weight of the iPad-2 But thats Just me !

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

IPad will remain more or less the same externally for some time, after all it is nothing but a slab. Internally iPad will move forward every year. At the same time the iOS line up will continue to expand.

So u r taking a Bold Step and Predicting that iPad-4 will very much be the same in weight and Thickness as the iPad-3 ?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Yes, there are several fronts which Apple needs to work on. The iPad can be up to 50% lighter than it is. It can be up to 50% thinner. Just throwing it out there. Slimmer, particularly lighter, is better.

50% Lighter Whoa ! is that Pure Fantasy or what ?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    On a Second Thought ! One more point noting here is Not neccessarily only if the Display Technology changes will Apple make the iPad-4 lighter. I would like to mention here the Example of iPad-1 and iPad-2. iPad-2 very much used the same Display Technology and same everything like iPad-1 but still was drastically lighter and Thinner than the iPad-1 So...It can be possible even with the Current Display is what I feel.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

On a Second Thought ! One more point noting here is Not neccessarily only if the Display Technology changes will Apple make the iPad-4 lighter. I would like to mention here the Example of iPad-1 and iPad-2. iPad-2 very much used the same Display Technology and same everything like iPad-1 but still was drastically lighter and Thinner than the iPad-1 So...It can be possible even with the Current Display is what I feel.

It's Apple we're talking about here. 50% thinner is basically what Jonny Ives has for breakfast. Just remember an insane Super-1080p-HD screen at 10" was pure fantasy just a few months ago.