Foxconn recruiter says next-gen iPhone arriving in June - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

A Japanese-language TV program has recorded a Foxconn recruiter in Taiyuan, China as saying that Apple will release its next-generation iPhone in June.

TV Tokyo's "World Business Satellite" (WBS) show broadcast a report () on Monday that included footage of a personnel recruitment office for Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn, as noted by Macotakara.

In one recorded scene, a woman asked a Foxconn recruiter how many people the factory is looking to hire.

"We're looking for 18,000 employees…for the fifth-generation phone," he said.

"Is that because demand is high for the 'iPhone 5?'" she asked.

"That's right. It will come out in June."

Though the iPhone 4S is Apple's actual fifth-generation iPhone, Chinese pundits have continued to refer to the upcoming sixth-generation handset as the "iPhone 5."

According to the report, Foxconn already employs 80,000 workers at its Taiyuan plant. The manufacturer has long been Apple's principal partner for producing the iPhone. Just last week, Apple CEO Tim Cook visited an iPhone production line at a Foxconn factory in Zhengzhou, China.

Foxconn made headlines last week when it announced that it was buying a 10 percent share of Japanese LCD maker Sharp. The deal prompted Monday's report from WBS, as the reporter was investigating struggles within the Japanese LCD panel industry and efforts by Korean and Taiwanese companies gain share as a result.

It should be noted that the June date allegedly provided by a Foxconn recruitment officer remains highly questionable. For instance, it's unclear how a low-level employee within the company would already know Apple's release schedule when the iPhone maker is notorious for its high level of secrecy.

The rumor also conflicts with multiple other reports that have suggested Apple's sixth-generation iPhone will arrive in September or October of this year. One recent unverified report claimed an LTE-capable iPhone is likely to show up in October.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I hope it's true. I'll be looking for a new phone in the June - July time frame and would like LTE.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    As if some low level recruiter would know Apple's top secrets. Such nonsense. It will launch when it launches, as always.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    strawberrystrawberry Posts: 181member
    There's not enough noise or leaked part pics for this to be true.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    If iOS 6 beta is released to developers sometime in April, I would say that this rumor is true. If no iOS 6 developer preview until WWDC, then next iPhone in September/October.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Is that because demand is high for the 'iPhone 5?'" she asked.

"That's right. It will come out in June."

The rumor also conflicts with multiple other reports that have suggested Apple's sixth-generation iPhone will arrive in September or October of this year.

Apple won't release the next iPhone less than a year after the iPhone 4S. Almost all of the "reports" are people stating the obvious. Next iPad is supposed to launch a year after the new one. Next iPhone is too. Let's not call these "reports" because they're just people saying something that's almost certainly true and taking advantage of the anonymity given to them (they won't be embarrassed if they put the blame on "industry sources".

Ok, back on topic . As stated before, Apple won't risk updating the iPhone or iPad so frequently now that they're mainstream products (unlike the first iPhone, which had an exponentially smaller user base). So this rumor will go in the Trash, along with the 'iPhone 5' and 'iPad 3/HD/2S' rumors.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    utahnguyutahnguy Posts: 24member
    Am I in a different universe? Or is Apple's next iPhone going to be the SIXTH GENERATION version? The fifth gen is already out, and it's called the iPhone 4S. This guy is only talking about an increase in production for the 4S, most likely related to an expected surge in sales thanks to Apple opening the device up to more Chinese carriers.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utahnguy View Post

Am I in a different universe? Or is Apple's next iPhone going to be the SIXTH GENERATION version? The fifth gen is already out, and it's called the iPhone 4S. This guy is only talking about an increase in production for the 4S, most likely related to an expected surge in sales thanks to Apple opening the device up to more Chinese carriers.

Mm, that struck me as odd as well.

Even if it's just a mistake and this does refer to the iPhone (2012), I'm still skeptical Apple would release it in June. First, the iPhone 4S will be barely 8 months old at that time. Second, it would likely mean an unveiling at WWDC, but I feel like Apple will want to focus on OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and accompanying new Macs at WWDC. Maybe a look at iOS 6 in preview form, but an iPhone release seems like it would be a big distraction from the release of Mountain Lion.

Perhaps the "June" reference was mistranslated or something? Maybe production comes online in June to stockpile a them for a September/October launch?

18,000 people is a lot to come by in short order. Surely it would take at least until June to pull that off, even in China?
  • Reply 8 of 42
    boxmaccaryboxmaccary Posts: 146member
    Foxconn recruiters say a lot of things ....
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

As if some low level recruiter would know Apple's top secrets. Such nonsense. It will launch when it launches, as always.

Some blogger posts their opinion and it gets mistranslated as insider fact.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stellaclose View Post

If iOS 6 beta is released to developers sometime in April, I would say that this rumor is true. If no iOS 6 developer preview until WWDC, then next iPhone in September/October.

Ditto. If there isn't an announcement for the iOS 6 SDK event in the next week or two, there will not be a new iPhone until the Fall. And honestly, because of the number of LTE networks Apple needs to be compatible with if they want to roll out support this year, later is better than sooner.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I hope it's true. I'll be looking for a new phone in the June - July time frame and would like LTE.

I hope so, too, but all evidence points to an Autumn release. Will Qualcomm's 28nm baseband chip be in mass production this month for Apple's ramp up?

Quote:

This.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Bet that recruiter is the next Foxconn employee to "jump" off a building.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    It may be iPhone 5, but it will NOT be iPhone 6.

:P
  • Reply 14 of 42
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

I hear the analysts say iTV or whatever it will be named won't be released until 2013. What if that was wrong and Apple intends to release their TV this year. Wouldn't the September/October time frame be better for a TV for sale right before the Christmas Holiday? The latest iPhone, especially if it is redesigned or has LTE would be a hot seller no matter when released.

Just thinking out loud.

/

/

/
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utahnguy View Post

Either that, or June is when Foxconn is going to hire the people and begin training them so that by july the new employees can safely handle sharp objects, like screw drivers. Then in August they chain the workers to the benches and go full out on making the new iPhones.

UPDATE: It is now known that Steve Jobs called this guy direct from his death bed to share with him Apple's future plans. Steve was always looking out for the little guy.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Foxconn recruiters say a lot of things ....

They should be charged and tried in court. The lack of rule of law in China is disturbing. (As you know I like to yammer on about)

I hope we have alternatives to China over the next 50 years. Otherwise, addiction to oil will look like nothing compared to addiction to China.

There's a reason why Huawei has been blocked from Australia's National Broadband Network, even though Huawei is in everything else here from telco gear through to 3g/4g modems.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    IT worker in US says he doesn't care about next-gen iPhone arriving in June - fact.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    EX-Foxconn recruiter says next-gen iPhone arriving in June.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Given that the last iPhone was a spec bump, it wouldn't be so nuts for the new form factor to be released in June. I mean, think about it, everyone thought that the 4S was going to be redesigned, well maybe they did have a new design but the internals weren't ready for it? Well that would mean that they've been sitting on the redesign and waiting for better internals, making the chance of them releasing a brand new iPhone way sooner (again, given that it was almost ready last year).

As for iOS6, correct me if I am wrong, but have they really been releasing a new version every year? I've heard nothing about it and it seems like iOS 5 ain't that old.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Given that the last iPhone was a spec bump, it wouldn't be so nuts for the new form factor to be released in June.

this is how I feel about it. Apple slipped their anual release date from June to September and all we got for the delay was Siri, which needed the extra development time and is still heavily beta. Why wouldn't Apple return to June with the next iPhone that's had two years to prepare since the iPhone 4?