Nokia kicks off Windows Phone 7 campaign with Antennagate teaser spot

Comments

• Reply 101 of 134
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Well yea the post is a little silly but you have to admit, iOS is kind of stagnating a little. Yes we keep getting updates that add features but nothing has really significantly changed in a long while. Now that Apple has come forth and said that the iPad for instance is cutting into their normal computer sells I would like the OS now be able to completely take over a computer. If you know what I mean. Starting with a file manager maybe, just saying don't get crazy, just floating an idea around. Maybe even getting rid of iTunes for good.

Relic closes her eyes for the negative onslaught that is about to happen.

When the system is so far ahead of the competition, maybe there's no need for iOS to change much. What's missing?
  • Reply 102 of 134
    Sell your nok share
  • Reply 103 of 134
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

2012 is a big year. We are going to know very soon whether Windows Mobile and Windows 8 tablets are viable. I'm betting that they're not

Personally, my initial impressions of the Metro interface have me interested, but considering Microsoft's trend of the past decade or so of seemingly being unable to release two decent versions of Windows in a row, then Windows 8 is probably due to be their next 'poorly received' version.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's numerous little signs that Microsoft's frenemy stance with Apple might be getting a little strained. Microsoft/Nokia, thru their proxy Mosaid, sued Apple again last month over another set of standards-essential patents that came from Nokia. Florian Mueller's tone towards Apple the past few months has been a bit more harsh when it involves issues that could also affect Microsoft, and as others have mentioned the new ad campaign smells like a MS effort to mock Apple.

I wouldn't be totally shocked to see the gloves come off if their Metro effort doesn't make an impact in the market.

Totally agree.

If Microsoft is unsuccessful, desperation will have those gloves sliding off quite easily.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

One wonders why MS and Nokia are consistently brain-dead when it comes to marketing.

I'm sorry, but anybody who saw Microsoft's Songsmith and Jerry Seinfeld commercials would have to totally disagree with you here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFo...e_gdata_player

That was marketing at it's most songtastic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That can't be right. Microsoft already held a funeral for the iPhone. Even they won't speak ill of the dead right?

Ah! The Microsoft funeral for the iPhone. I remember it clearly and was staggered by it's arrogance.

They really ballmered themselves with that one, didn't they?
  • Reply 104 of 134
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

When the system is so far ahead of the competition, maybe there's no need for iOS to change much. What's missing?

Oh I'm sorry I thought the whole hehe don't yell at me but I wan't a filemanger was enough. So here it goes again, I would like to have a filemanger, please.

I understand that none of you need one, want one, and it sickens you to even think of having one but I would like to have one, please, pretty please with sugar on top. While your at it having the ability to mount my device as a normal drive on any computer without the aid of a certain music player would be nice to. Also if it's okay to ask, I would also like to have a desktop where I can customize myself with widgets, just a few icons that I use on a daily basis and my reminders. Maybe add support for more codecs like DIVX would also be pretty neat. Folder support on the desktop to manage my icons as groups would also be just darling. Let's see I mentioned the filemanager, oh how about the ability to mount my home servers, internet servers and work servers that use VPN as local folders on my desktop or within the filemanager itself, I'm not picky. There's quite a few more wishes but I understand if you think everything is perfect on your end.

I'll just keep dreaming, one day it will all come true, you just wait and see.

By the way these are all standard features on a Android tablet. iOS is not ahead on features, actually the OS is quite bland, however the software is friggen fantastic, way ahead on software, light years ahead on software.
  • Reply 105 of 134
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    This isn't Nokia work. Clearly MS style.

But even for MS this is stupid. Windows Phone is not competing against iPhone. It is competing against Android. Attempting to compete against the iPhone makes them look pathetic - because the only issue they can come up with is a non-issue. That too almost 2 years old, and ignored by everyone even then! Why would anyone bother about this issue today?

If they instead focused on Android, it would position Windows Phone as a better alternative to the handset makers. Eventually a stage will be reached where customers move to Windows Phone simply because they will have concerns about the future of Android - and who wants to get locked in and invest in a platform that could be in trouble as handset makers walk away?

MS should armtwist handset makers with Android royalty payments on one side and sweet deals on Windows Phone on other side. And to the consumer, play up all of Androids faults - fragmentation, no OS updates, etc. Drum up fear about the uncertainty about the platform. What happens when Google owns Motorola, or when Oracle wins against Google or when Apple wins a big case against Android. Drum up malware issues and privacy breaches on Android. Ask people how they can trust a company that makes money by selling your info and violating your privacy - and has shown signs of increasing this sort of behaviour. If their ad dollars are spent on this kind of fear mongering, it will likely yield them significant dividends.

Today, all these Android issues are geek issues only. No one outside these tech websites focuses or knows much about these issues. MS has the money power to take these issues and make them real world issues. It might be a below the belt strategy - but SOP as far as MS is concerned. And at least they will benefit from it - unlike the current pathetic ads.
  • Reply 106 of 134
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

You are forgeting that not everyone is into tech like you and me. Most people actually have lives and when they see the ads will subconsciously start being the effect it. It is a perfect example of FUD in operation. Apple and all companies do the same thing. It is all a part of fooling (I mean marketing) the public.

So the next time said consumer is comparison shopping the doubt will be there (even if it is not true) Business is all about perception and that's advertisings job, to influence perception.

However that is not what Apple sells. They sell the whole ecosystem, not just a feature. (The new Siri ads are the exception as they are a key component of the 4s and consumers have responded to it overwhelmingly.) The failure of the other manufacturers (and MSFT) is that they tend to sell hardware features, which is exactly what this spot is alluding to and why it will fail.
  • Reply 107 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

But even for MS this is stupid. Windows Phone is not competing against iPhone. It is competing against Android. Attempting to compete against the iPhone makes them look pathetic - because the only issue they can come up with is a non-issue. That too almost 2 years old, and ignored by everyone even then! Why would anyone bother about this issue today?

If they instead focused on Android, it would position Windows Phone as a better alternative to the handset makers. Eventually a stage will be reached where customers move to Windows Phone simply because they will have concerns about the future of Android - and who wants to get locked in and invest in a platform that could be in trouble as handset makers walk away?

MS should armtwist handset makers with Android royalty payments on one side and sweet deals on Windows Phone on other side. And to the consumer, play up all of Androids faults. Drum up fear about the uncertainty about the platform. What happens when Google owns Motorola, or when Oracle wins against Google or when Apple wins a big case against Android. Drum up malware issues and privacy breaches on Android. Ask people how they can trust a company that makes money by selling your info and violating your privacy - and has shown signs of increasing this sort of behaviour. If their ad dollars are spent on this kind of fear mongering, it will likely yield them significant dividends.

Today, all these Android issues are geek issues only. No one outside these tech websites focuses or knows much about these issues. MS has the money power to take these issues and make them real world issues. It might be a below the belt strategy - but SOP as far as MS is concerned. And at least they will benefit from it - unlike the current pathetic ads.

I always thought that the new Windows Phones were more of a RIM competitor. You have Exchange Server support out of the box. Every user gets 25GB of storage space with Skydrive, every phone has an awesome Office client to view and edit files, the best I have seen so far. The phone just screams business. Their are hundreds of new applications being added to the store every week.

We will have to see what happens in the future but I think the WP7.5 and soon WP8 is really the perfect business OS. I can't believe I'm saying this but I really hope Microsoft will make headway with this OS. It's really great, I would never imagine in a hundred years that Microsoft could make such an elegant system.
  • Reply 108 of 134
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post

The $15 has nothing to do with antennagate. USA 4G is different than foreign 4G, so it doesn't work overseas. They didn't explain that clearly in their advertising.

Try to keep up, the $15 mentioned is about the lawsuit settlement just reached on the iPhone 4 and has nothing to do with 4G. Apple basically extended the offer made just after the iPhone 4 release.
  • Reply 109 of 134
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Oh I'm sorry I thought the whole hehe don't yell at me but I wan't a filemanger was enough. So here it goes again, I would like to have a filemanger, please.

I understand that none of you need one, want one, and it sickens you to even think of having one but I would like to have one, please, pretty please with sugar on top. While your at it having the ability to mount my device as a normal drive on any computer without the aid of a certain music player would be nice to. Also if it's okay to ask, I would also like to have a desktop where I can customize myself with widgets, just a few icons that I use on a daily basis and my reminders. Maybe add support for more codecs like DIVX would also be pretty neat. Folder support on the desktop to manage my icons as groups would also be just darling. Let's see I mentioned the filemanager, oh how about the ability to mount my home servers, internet servers and work servers that use VPN as local folders on my desktop or within the filemanager itself, I'm not picky. There's quite a few more wishes but I understand if you think everything is perfect on your end.

I'll just keep dreaming, one day it will all come true, you just wait and see.

By the way these are all standard features on a Android tablet. iOS is not ahead on features, actually the OS is quite bland, however the software is friggen fantastic, way ahead on software, light years ahead on software.

Sorry, you're looking in entirely the wrong place. Apple is not interested in that game, so stick with Android if you really feel the need to futz with your phone all day long.

Apple is not going to throw out their entire ecosystem to make a few geeks happy.

And, btw, it's not lagging in features when Apple chooses not to include a feature. That's like saying a Corvette is lagging a Ford F-150 because the Corvette doesn't have a trailer hitch that will tow 4,000 pounds. That's not what the Corvette is for. Similarly, the Ford F-150 isn't going to win many races.
  • Reply 110 of 134
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

It is clearly ms style. Sad that nokia who still have some brand dignity and identity and the original (and to me I am sure in many ways the best until smart phones) handset maker has to stoop to this. Nokia's branding and marketing should be simple and elegant not this bunch of crap. They are not in the business of selling ms phones, they are in the business of selling great phones with ms's os, and they are certainly not in the business of making dumb ads against apple, much like (to use a not so apt example, what with the analogy being tenuous but it's the only one I can come up with) porche should not be in the business of making dumb ads against bmw.

Agree about the rest of the post, just wanted to focus on your first sentence.
  • Reply 111 of 134
    Quote:

Sorry, you're looking in entirely the wrong place. Apple is not interested in that game, so stick with Android if you really feel the need to futz with your phone all day long.

Apple is not going to throw out their entire ecosystem to make a few geeks happy.

And, btw, it's not lagging in features when Apple chooses not to include a feature. That's like saying a Corvette is lagging a Ford F-150 because the Corvette doesn't have a trailer hitch that will tow 4,000 pounds. That's not what the Corvette is for. Similarly, the Ford F-150 isn't going to win many races.

Every feature I listed is from a normal OS for normal people, not geeks. It seems like that is the go to response every time I mention that I want a filemanager. Every feature I listed is also available for OSX so why can't I have them on iOS. Oh and I belong here to, I paid my dues, I have a Macbook, a couple of Minis, a iMac and a iPad. You can't be that obtuse. Can you seriously tell me that you wouldn't like these features to, it's only a dream list. I know Apple want's to lock people into the world of iTunes, I get it. Just dreaming here.

Please, stop with the car analogy's too, save it for the person who doesn't have over 1600 posts. I know how things works here. I mention things I would like to have and then I get shot down for being the minority, people don't need things like a filemanger or MiniSD, or being able to mount the device as a normal drive. Those are pro features are something like that. I don't know about you but I've been on a lot of tech calls and it is a lot easier trying to explain to someone how to transfer files to a Android tablet then it is to a iPad.

It's, yea just plug it in and copy over files after the system mounts it vs. okay yea, first what you need to do is install iTunes, okay great, now we need to setup your user. Oh you already have iTunes and a user setup on your computer but the iPad has you're husbands user in it and you want to copy your files from your computer over to your husbands iPad. F*ck where's the gun.

Yes I fully realize there are lots of solutions for every scenario but you know what Android is still the most user friendly every time because it's open and doesn't care if you bought your music from their store or copied it off a CD. Sorry, that is just the way it is.

I still love my iPad though for music creation and I wouldn't give it up for the world but please don't tell me what I need and don't need or the things I want is for pro users. It's just the basics that I had on my MAC SE, well except for the whole codec thing.
  • Reply 112 of 134
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I hate these garbage advertising stunts mobile phone companies do, flushing endless millions down the sewer.

Maybe if they actually tried making products that didn't stop evolving in the 90's they would do better.
  • Reply 113 of 134
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Marketing 101 - Never bring up your competitors, it only takes the spotlight off of your product, and could back fire depending on the consumer. Especially when the competitive issue is two years old and has since been resolved. Nokia has not only ignored those principles, but actually paying someone to do it. I will enjoy seeing them crash and burn.

So that's the reason Windows still has 95%+ of world-wide market. Apple over-advertised them with their "Get a Mac" adds
  • Reply 114 of 134
    Quote:

Well yea the post is a little silly but you have to admit, iOS is kind of stagnating a little. Yes we keep getting updates that add features but nothing has really significantly changed in a long while. Now that Apple has come forth and said that the iPad for instance is cutting into their normal computer sells I would like the OS now be able to completely take over a computer. If you know what I mean. Starting with a file manager maybe, just saying don't get crazy, just floating an idea around. Maybe even getting rid of iTunes for good.

Relic closes her eyes for the negative onslaught that is about to happen.

And....nothing. Nobody cares. Get over yourself.
  • Reply 115 of 134
    Quote:

geeks think their opinions matter more than everyone else's on technology subjects, just because they can root their phone, or hack a php site, but they are vastly overestimating their own importance. They can be very noisy on various internet forums, but that does not mean their opinions reflect the other 99%
  • Reply 116 of 134
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

geeks think their opinions matter more than everyone else's on technology subjects, just because they can root their phone, or hack a php site, but they are vastly overestimating their own importance. They can be very noisy on various internet forums, but that does not mean their opinions reflect the other 99%

Nope, not a geek problem, that is basic human nature
  • Reply 117 of 134
    Quote:

...and if you need fresh towels just let me now.

Mommy can I have a hot chocolate please?
  • Reply 118 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

So that's the reason Windows still has 95%+ of world-wide market. Apple over-advertised them with their "Get a Mac" adds

Those ads were a "hobby"
  • Reply 119 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Nope, not a geek problem, that is basic human nature

However just like hipsters congregating in one of those hipster bars, self-righteous geeks cloister around certain forums.

I'm probably guilty too, but since returning to having a life I've tried to cut down.
  • Reply 120 of 134
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

However just like hipsters congregating in one of those hipster bars, self-righteous geeks cloister around certain forums.

I'm probably guilty too, but since returning to having a life I've tried to cut down.

at 7,000 posts I think probably might be an understatement. Don't take it negatively, just good natured humor from my part, your comment rang very true, including the trying to cut down bit.