iPhone owners use Wi-Fi more than Android owners in U.S. and U.K.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Which is the problem exactly.....

What? That Google allowed terrible hardware manufacturers to make Android based phones?
  • Reply 22 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ikki View Post

Why would I use Wi-Fi when I have unlimited 4g everywhere I go? Most open Wi-Fi networks are throttled anyways.

I'm actually finding in many locations that 4G and even 3G is faster. This is on very unloaded networks, so they are either throttled or just pathetic. More so some of these open networks seem to slow down specific types of transfers or prevent them completely. For example iTunes downloads seem to get banned from some open WiFi networks.

Quote:

It is just as easy to connect to Wi-Fi as iOS. Network notification pops up, tap it, enter password, connected.

Ease of connection isn't the issue here, I just think iPhone users are more savy about exploiting their hardware.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I'm gonna be a major fanboy for a minute and boast that this statistic should be no revelation... it's like saying Formula 1 drivers make hairpin turns more efficiently than a hipster in an MG roadster. We have a machine tuned for excellence that matches our lifestyle superbly, instead of a machine tuned for mimicking excellence and appropriating a lifestyle.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The answer is obvious:

Too busy running Anti-Virus software

Too busy changing the battery

Too busy trying to ignore bloatware

Too busy fixing hardware issues

Too busy fruitlessly attempting to update Over-the-Air

Too busy with task management

Too busy watching ads

Too busy customizing with pink "Hello Kitty" wallpaper

Please remove your head from your A$$

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Once again we can see that people who buy iOS devices are just smarter to begin with.

"Hey, do you want to buy a brick with a 5" screen that will suck your battery down so fast that you can hear the little electrons scream as they die?"

I work as a CSR for one of the big four and I find their are people on both platforms who have no idea what they are using.

There are a lot of android users who buy their phones only because it is free or cheap.

There is also a large number of iPhone users who only buy iPhones because it has an apple on it. People who do not know how to to get on the internet. People who have iPhone 4s since june 2010 still running iOS 4.0. The phones are for sale. Morons will always buy them.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

What? That Google allowed terrible hardware manufacturers to make Android based phones?

Problem solved... there!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

My friend is on the 3 network, he loves how fast the 3G network is.

On those rare occasions when he can get signal.

They are not as good indoor compared to O2. I'm using both and can confirm. But it is all about location though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

"Telefonica"...Yeah, I think you mean Telefonica's O2.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that 3 users spend less time on Wi-Fi than those on the bigger networks. 3UK's 3G connection is blazingly fast.

As above, I find where I use 3G, O2 triumph more than 3. BTW, I still on unlimited data and in places where they offer free WiFi like in McDerp's for example, 3G is much more quicker than WiFI, less contention too I imagine.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Please remove your head from your A$$

I work as a CSR for one of the big four and I find their are people on both platforms who have no idea what they are using.

There are a lot of android users who buy their phones only because it is free or cheap.

There is also a large number of iPhone users who only buy iPhones because it has an apple on it. People who do not know how to to get on the internet. People who have iPhone 4s since june 2010 still running iOS 4.0. The phones are for sale. Morons will always buy them.

Of course there are, this isn't news to anybody. You'll find anecdotal evidence of idiots using just about any platform or device.

But what's under discussion here is what the majority of users on each platform are doing.

That's much harder to prove with anecdotal evidence. If you work in customer service you mostly deal with idiots all day long because the smart users generally fix their own problems and never call customer service.

I don't know if it's true that the majority of iPhone users are smarter than the majority of Android users, but that's not the question. It's whether the majority of iPhone users can figure out how to use their phone versus the majority of Android users.

Certainly some people buy Android because it's "open" and they like to tinker with their phones (aka the linux desktop crowd) but there are so few of them that you can more or less eliminate them from the stats.

You also get drooling idiots who buy a smartphone and never connect to the Internet or download a single app, but again those are (mercifully) in the minority.

Most users are not technical enough to compile their own OS update, nor so dumb that they spend an extra $300 to get a smartphone and then only make phone calls, so if we ignore those it pretty much boils down to which is the easier phone to use and maintain.

iPhone is generally easier to use, generally easier to maintain, and much easier to update (you don't have to root it!). Consequently, the majority of iPhones are more up-to-date and get more use than the majority of Android devices.

It's still a bit of a mystery as to why that affects wifi usage specifically, but if turning off wifi to save battery is common practice on Android, it stands to reason that it would get used less often because even if it's easy to toggle, users would miss out on free wifi in coffee shops, airports, etc because the alert wouldn't pop up if their wifi was disabled.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Lately there's no really articles about apple technology, is just fanboy and publicity saying how Apple is so wonderful and better than the others, iPhone is easier to connect to wifi?!!??? Gosh, Android is as easy as Apple on that, and anyone that used both knows, actually there's nothing hard about this on either OSs. Write real articles please!
  • Reply 28 of 49
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder but connecting to a wifi in Android is very easy. Settings -> Wi-Fi -> select wireless router, enter in the WPA password and hit enter. I dont think you can make it any easier. Actually, count for your self, there is actually one finger touch more in iOS to connect to a wireless router.

Uh, yes, the first time you connect to a new network, that's one way to do it.

For me, it's clicking on "Toggle WiFi" on the home screen. This runs my simple script; 1-2" later I get a toast notification that I am now connected/disconnected.

One touch for all access points that I've connected to in the past. Zero dollars spent on apps, zero battery spent on widgets.

When people here laugh at me when I say I use scripting languages in my phone, I just shrug.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

.????

On iOS, it is walk into room. Dialog pops up, you select network. Type in PW. No finding the settings page.

The key is iOS manages wifi networks from a user a power standpoint better. All my Android friends have widgets on their various home screens to turn on and off various radios like GPS, Bluetooth, wifi, 3G and such just get their phone to make it through the day. Understandable most forget to even turn on wifi when it is available.

You can do the same in Android, go to notifications connect to the nearest wifi. I always perfer going threw the settings as I have a shortcut on my desktop that goes directly to the wifi part settimgs.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Probably the Android users can afford their phone bills...

LOL. That was my immediate reaction too, lol.

I think the real reason is that unlike the iphone, android phones are capable of video chat over data instead of being stuck on wifi. And with unlimited data plans why not use it?

I think if apple removes that barrier from face time it will even off.

...........Then again, maybe iphone users really can't pay their bills, lol.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    swissmac2swissmac2 Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

Of course there are, this isn't news to anybody. You'll find anecdotal evidence of idiots using just about any platform or device.

But what's under discussion here is what the majority of users on each platform are doing.

That's much harder to prove with anecdotal evidence. If you work in customer service you mostly deal with idiots all day long because the smart users generally fix their own problems and never call customer service.

I don't know if it's true that the majority of iPhone users are smarter than the majority of Android users, but that's not the question. It's whether the majority of iPhone users can figure out how to use their phone versus the majority of Android users.

Certainly some people buy Android because it's "open" and they like to tinker with their phones (aka the linux desktop crowd) but there are so few of them that you can more or less eliminate them from the stats.

You also get drooling idiots who buy a smartphone and never connect to the Internet or download a single app, but again those are (mercifully) in the minority.

Most users are not technical enough to compile their own OS update, nor so dumb that they spend an extra $300 to get a smartphone and then only make phone calls, so if we ignore those it pretty much boils down to which is the easier phone to use and maintain.

iPhone is generally easier to use, generally easier to maintain, and much easier to update (you don't have to root it!). Consequently, the majority of iPhones are more up-to-date and get more use than the majority of Android devices.

It's still a bit of a mystery as to why that affects wifi usage specifically, but if turning off wifi to save battery is common practice on Android, it stands to reason that it would get used less often because even if it's easy to toggle, users would miss out on free wifi in coffee shops, airports, etc because the alert wouldn't pop up if their wifi was disabled.

Best answer on the page so far - a good reasoned argument that follows a logic path of crystal clarity. Of course, Android fanbois won't accept it because whatever it is they believe, everyone else is wrong, aren't they?

As for the two phones, iPhones can be used by an 18 month old child the interface is so easy; Android takes more time to learn.

As for WiFi, Socrates said it all.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

if you pull down the notification bar there is already buttons to do that.

That is just as bad. If you have to manage turning on and off radios to get your phone to last a full day, you already lost the design wars.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OpuXII View Post

Yeah unless apple has something easier than "hitting a button directly on my home screen" to one click wifi off and on, I'm not following your logic lol.

Yea. You don't need a button on your home screen to get your battery to last all day.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Yea. You don't need a button on your home screen to get your battery to last all day.

I have a GS2 and I leave on wifi all day. It auto connects to my work wifi, my home wifif, my coffee shop wifi. And my battery lasts all day. With all radios on.

What is this battery thing that you are talking about?

Matter of fact, wasn't it the 4S that had the battery problems, not the Galaxy phones?

Of course as with ANY mobile device, usage pattern vary. If you use your phone to play an intense 3d game for 3 hours the battery will die REGARDLESS of iphone, android, WP7 or blackberry (then again, Bb doesn't have any 3d games but still...)

I just charge my phone at night and it lasts me all day with no "battery management" needed. Where are you guys getting this battery stuff from?
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

Many owners of low-end Android phones use them as feature phones, yet they did not "spend an extra $300 to get a smartphone" simply because their phones are much cheaper than that. This is the category that causes the big difference in my opinion, not some phantom usability issues with Android.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

I don't need to either. Turning the radio off when there's no radio signal is just common sense. Besides, having 50% of my battery when I get home in the evening gives me extra security. I like to do impulsive things and hate it when my phone dies at 2 am just because I spent the commute gaming, on top of everything else.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    There could be multiple reasons for this -

- Apple has done a great job of alerting users when a Wifi network is available - and you just select the network, enter the password and done. In Android, you have to manually do this - and you don't get alerted about Wifi availablity.

- Secondly, iPhone users typically use their phone more - whether on WiFi or on 3G. So chances are, they are more sensitive to usage limits, and use WiFi wherever they can.

- Thirdly, the broadband penetration in US homes was about 60% two years back - and may be a bit higher now. I would not be surprised if the Android to iPhone ratio was a lot higher in the 40% homes without broadband penetration. If you don't have broadband at home, your 3G usage would likely be a lot higher. Even the UK has only about 67% penetration of home broadband. Would be interesting to see this statistic in a place like Korea, which has over 95% penetration of broadband, and is Samsung's home market. I would bet that Android WiFi usage and iPhone WiFi usage would be pretty close in Korea.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Thus iPhone users just keep wifi on and auto connect.

I turn my wifi on and off manually. I hate the stupid auto connect box that pops up all the time trying to connect to random wifi that I don't have a password to. It also drains your battery to leave it on, searching for a signal all the time.

But more on point, I connect as soon as I get home and at school to save on data. I only have 1GB per month, so I have to make sure I use wifi as much as possible.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Two simple reasons:

1. Its much easier to connect with an iPhone to Wifi than with android

2. Having wifi run in the background on an iPhone does not drain the battery as much as on android.

Thus iPhone users just keep wifi on and auto connect.

and 3. because we're AT&T customers who can't use their horrifically bad service anywhere.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Uh, yes, the first time you connect to a new network, that's one way to do it.

For me, it's clicking on "Toggle WiFi" on the home screen. This runs my simple script; 1-2" later I get a toast notification that I am now connected/disconnected.

One touch for all access points that I've connected to in the past. Zero dollars spent on apps, zero battery spent on widgets.

When people here laugh at me when I say I use scripting languages in my phone, I just shrug.

How quaint.

On my iPhone, it automatically connects to any WiFi router that I've used before. ZERO touch.

And I didn't have to bother setting up a script, either.