AT&T's 4G LTE network expanding in Texas, Indiana on April 8

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Starting this Sunday, AT&T will expand its high-speed 4G LTE network to three new markets located in Texas and Indiana.

When AT&T flips the switch on its LTE network in Bryan-College Station, Tex., and Bloomington and Muncie, Ind., the true 4G network will be available in a total of 31 markets in the U.S.

AT&T advertises that its "4G" network covers nearly 250 million people, but that applies to the carrier's HSPA+ coverage as well as 4G LTE. Starting with iOS 5.1, iPhone 4S users have seen AT&T's HSDPA network advertised as "4G," even though it is not connected to a true fourth-generation network.

There is one Apple device that does connect to 4G LTE networks, and that's the new iPad. To draw a distinction between the "4G" indicator on the iPhone 4S and the true 4G with the new iPad, the third-generation tablet shows its 4G connectivity with an "LTE" indicator instead.

AT&T's true LTE 4G network is available to about 74 million people. It began rollout of its LTE network after rival Verizon, which now offers high-speed 4G connectivity to over 200 million people.

Apple has built unique versions of the new iPad to allow 4G LTE compatibility with both AT&T and Verizon's networks. That's different from the iPhone 4S, which comes in one "world" phone model compatible with both Verizon and AT&T in the U.S., as well as Sprint. In addition to connecting to CDMA networks in the U.S., it can also roam on GSM networks worldwide.

Though the new iPad is Apple's first true 4G device, LTE connectivity is rumored to come to the next iPhone, which is expected to arrive later this year. The 4G LTE chip in the sixth-generation iPhone is expected to be provided by Qualcomm in the form of its "MDM9615" chip.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Dallas Fort Worth may need a few repairs after today's tornados. Looks like a lot of damage, hopefully no serious injuries to those living in the path of the storms.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Recently moved to the Twin Cities and have never been so displeased with ATT. Where I lived before ATT worked fine but up here I get horrible results.

I ordered a LTE ATT iPad but it wasn't any better, returned it for a Verizon model and it's amazing the difference I get. Will probably be switching to a Verizon iPhone when the next model comes out.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

Recently moved to the Twin Cities and have never been so displeased with ATT. Where I lived before ATT worked fine but up here I get horrible results.

I ordered a LTE ATT iPad but it wasn't any better, returned it for a Verizon model and it's amazing the difference I get. Will probably be switching to a Verizon iPhone when the next model comes out.

Consumer Reports raved about the Verizon LTE iPad signal connection.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Yep, I'm a believer. I purchased a 4S and my business partner is using my 4. I used one of my families other upgrades for my phone but ATT told me my original contract from my 4 still stands, which means I'm not really bound to any contracts right now.

I'll be selling both of them this year and picking up some shiny new Verizon models.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Starting with iOS 5.1, iPhone 4S users have seen AT&T's HSDPA network advertised as "4G," even though it is not connected to a true fourth-generation network.

3GPP, the relevant standards body, includes HSPA+ in the 4G category.

Sorry if you don't agree, but if that's the case maybe you should try starting your own international standards organization?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    That list is just embarrassing.

Bloomington, Indiana? I mean, really? Seriously?

How is that even a "market"? There are only 90,000 people in the entire city!

My county in NJ has nearly 600,000 people.

Lining those pockets with cash must feel REALLY good, eh AT&T executive level?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I've been happy with AT&T's LTE coverage in southern California. The bad thing with AT&T is they are way behind Verizon when it comes to LTE coverage in the U.S.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I wonder if there's some plan afoot to hook up with Indiana University in Bloomington. Could be a test of texts and courses via iPad.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

3GPP, the relevant standards body, includes HSPA+ in the 4G category.

Sorry if you don't agree, but if that's the case maybe you should try starting your own international standards organization?

While technically true, it is not as fast as LTE. So, now they get to confuse their customers with two "4G" networks.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

It's not just the population that makes a market, it's the potential for buyers. Bloomington has a university, for example.

If every other person you meet on the streets in NJ is wearing their hat backwards and their pants around their knees, they don't count as potential users, for example.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It's not just the population that makes a market, it's the potential for buyers. Bloomington has a university, for example.

If every other person you meet on the streets in NJ is wearing their hat backwards and their pants around their knees, they don't count as potential users, for example.

I think AT&T is choosing their markets based on many criteria but hats on backwards is probably pretty far down the list. Verizon already has LTE in the Bloomington region so AT&T needs to get it done quickly or they will start to lose customers.

Also it appears that Verizon and AT&T have pretty much equal LTE coverage in NJ, mostly along i95 and the Turnpike.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Glad to see LTE coming to Aggieland along with the new iPhone. With LTE in the BCS i might even consider upgrading to the new iPad as well. Thanks a Gig 'em
  • Reply 13 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    This seems to be a bigger rollout than they are saying, any word on when the next few cities in this round are coming, like Lafayette In? per this artical, Purdue should be getting it too - Why would they give it to IU first? BOOOO!!! All the engineers are at Purdue, IU all about med and law LOL!!!

http://www.jconline.com/article/2012...-T-4G-LTE-grid
  • Reply 14 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I wonder if there's some plan afoot to hook up with Indiana University in Bloomington. Could be a test of texts and courses via iPad.

As a student on their Indy campus I hope not!! I dont want my books locked to one platform, if thety have to be digital, I want it on everything, my Windows laptop, my macbook, my iPad, my android/windows phone 7 device and so on, hell even Linux!

I am all about moving forward, just not a fan of buying a $600 dongle to do it.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

And they are all IU Basketball Fans! Go Hoosiers!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

Yes, many places they overlap and the carrier is pretty much a wash but there are still some where that's not the case: heck Verizon couldn't reach my kitchen table until a few years ago while guests with AT&T had full signal. But I had the phone then for work and there Verizon was fine.

Sooner or later. but not quite yet.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:

What- u don't love Muncie?

But they advertise as "The Nation's Largest 4G Network!"
  • Reply 18 of 20
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Whoopee. A brawl between the stoneys and the Tony Sopranos.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Bloomington and Muncie Indiana both have major colleges (IU and Ball State, respectively). I presume that's why they get AT&T's LTE service before Fort Wayne, which is the state's second largest city at a little over 250,000 population.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

As a student on their Indy campus I hope not!! I dont want my books locked to one platform, if thety have to be digital, I want it on everything, my Windows laptop, my macbook, my iPad, my android/windows phone 7 device and so on, hell even Linux!

I am all about moving forward, just not a fan of buying a $600 dongle to do it.

From the other comments, looks like what Verizon is doing with university towns might be more of a factor for AT&T, so I withdraw my speculation, and propose a new one. Both companies see college students as natural customers for LTE, and they're all* going to be using LTE tablets. What kind of LTE tablets? Well . . .

*Meaning many many.