Kutcher thinks Steve Jobs role was meant for him, film script called 'award worthy'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Ashton Kutcher's starring role in a new, independent movie based on the early years of the career of Steve Jobs is said to be based on an "award-worthy" script that Kutcher is determined to help turn into a breakthrough dramatic performance.

Speaking with The Daily, producer Mark Hulme of Five Star Feature Films said that Kutcher believes the role of Jobs was "meant for him." Five Star is the sold investor behind the upcoming movie, entitled "Jobs."

"He is already meeting with folks that knew Jobs," Hulme said. "He's working with professionals to get inside the voice. He's letting his hair grow out. I understand he's canceled all meetings and actually canceled all other projects."

He added that Kutcher "loved" the script, and that the actor wants to "prove to the world that this is the right part for him." Kutcher is best known for his comedic roles, as he currently stars on CBS's "Two and a Half Men," and previously appeared in shows like MTV's "Punked" and Fox's "That 70s Show," as well as movies such as "Dude, Where's My Car?" and "No Strings Attached."

Word that Kusher would take on the role of Jobs, the late co-founder of Apple, first surfaced earlier this week. It was then revealed that the independent film will portray Jobs's growth from "wayward hippie" to entrepreneur.

Photos show the similar likeness of of Jobs (Getty Images) and Kutcher (WireImage), via The Daily.

That info was reaffirmed by The Daily on Tuesday, which noted that the movie will start in 1971 with the initial partnership of Jobs and fellow Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. From there it will detail the early years of Apple, the recruiting of former Apple CEO John Sculley, as well as the ouster of Jobs from Apple before his triumphant return.

The film will be directed by Joshua Michael Stern, who Hulme said views the project as "award-worthy." The director only seeks actors who feel the same about the script, and the studio hopes to release the film by this Thanksgiving, having it out in time for award season and potential Oscar contention.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    I dunno. Hollywood has a way of screwing things up...
  • Reply 2 of 58
    I'm more worried about the director, he hasn't really proven himself with many movies.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    Quote:

...the actor wants to "prove to the world that this is the right part for him...

Of course, with Demi Moore playing the part of Joan Baez. That way there will be ONE actor in the movie that is "award worthy."
  • Reply 4 of 58
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

I'm more worried about the director, he hasn't really proven himself with many movies.

Utterly agree.

Actors aren't nearly so important as directors, who influence the entire film, and this guy has a rubbish background.

Try not to get too excited about this one, boys and girls. It's going to suck.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    k2directork2director Posts: 194member
    I'd like to be wrong about this, but I think it's way too early for this film, and I also haven't seen anything in Kutcher's body of work that makes me think he could handle playing a guy like Jobs. Ashton basically plays Ashton in all his roles, and that wouldn't work here...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ashton Kutcher's starring role in a new, independent movie based on the early years of the career of Steve Jobs is said to be based on an "award-worthy" script that Kutcher is determined to help turn into a breakthrough dramatic performance.

Speaking with The Daily, producer Mark Hulme of Five Star Feature Films said that Kutcher believes the role of Jobs was "meant for him." Five Star is the sold investor behind the upcoming movie, entitled "Jobs."

"He is already meeting with folks that knew Jobs," Hulme said. "He's working with professionals to get inside the voice. He's letting his hair grow out. I understand he's canceled all meetings and actually canceled all other projects."

He added that Kutcher "loved" the script, and that the actor wants to "prove to the world that this is the right part for him." Kutcher is best known for his comedic roles, as he currently stars on CBS's "Two and a Half Men," and previously appeared in shows like MTV's "Punked" and Fox's "That 70s Show," as well as movies such as "Dude, Where's My Car?" and "No Strings Attached."

Word that Kusher would take on the role of Jobs, the late co-founder of Apple, first surfaced earlier this week. It was then revealed that the independent film will portray Jobs's growth from "wayward hippie" to entrepreneur.

Photos show the similar likeness of of Jobs (Getty Images) and Kutcher (WireImage), via The Daily.

That info was reaffirmed by The Daily on Tuesday, which noted that the movie will start in 1971 with the initial partnership of Jobs and fellow Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. From there it will detail the early years of Apple, the recruiting of former Apple CEO John Sculley, as well as the ouster of Jobs from Apple before his triumphant return.

The film will be directed by Joshua Michael Stern, who Hulme said views the project as "award-worthy." The director only seeks actors who feel the same about the script, and the studio hopes to release the film by this Thanksgiving, having it out in time for award season and potential Oscar contention.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

• Reply 6 of 58
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    The perfect actor to play Steve is Alan Ruck. He was born the same year as Steve so would need make up to play him as a young man. But Alan has a naturally youthful face so he could pull it off. Also a plus is that he is not famous himself. It's always a problem when a huge star plays a "real" person because it's a struggle for the audience to not "see" the celeb peeking though the character.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3158214912/nm0001688
  • Reply 7 of 58
    Quote:

the movie will start in 1971 with the initial partnership of Jobs and fellow Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. From there it will detail the early years of Apple, the recruiting of former Apple CEO John Sculley, as well as the ouster of Jobs from Apple before his triumphant return.

Umm, we already had a movie like that. It was called "Pirates of Silicon Valley"
  • Reply 8 of 58
    Without recapping my comments from the previous post on this.

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE! get someone else besides Kutcher.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    So if this cannot be based upon anything as detailed in the Isaakson book which Sony owns the rights to, its going to be an interpretation based upon public domain material?

Oh my sounds dreadful.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I'd like to be wrong about this, but I think it's way too early for this film, and I also haven't seen anything in Kutcher's body of work that makes me think he could handle playing a guy like Jobs. Ashton basically plays Ashton in all his roles, and that wouldn't work here...

He's a good Nikon camera spokesman?
  • Reply 11 of 58
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DracoDWS View Post

Umm, we already had a movie like that. It was called "Pirates of Silicon Valley"

Exactly!

I want 1997-2011
  • Reply 12 of 58
    What- Justin Long wasn't available?

I can see the one sheet:

Ashton Kutcher is Steve Jobs!
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

What- Justin Long wasn't available?

He's not Steve Jobs. He's a Mac.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Oh noooo- he has Woz's blessing!

Sacrilege!

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/04/03/st...er-steve-jobs/
  • Reply 15 of 58
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    The director Joshua Michael Stern makes bland forgettable movies.

And when you hear filmmakers reference there own projects as possibly award-winning in quality, red flags are raised.

This has fail written all over it, though fingers crossed it's something interesting.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Not a huge fan of Aston - but could be interesting.

I agree the director is important - but you also have to have a team that works well together.

This reminds me of a quote from Harrison Ford - one of his first acting jobs (or might have been an audition) was the part of a bell hop in a hotel - after watching his performance the following took place:

Quote:

The studio guy told me, "Kid, you have no future in this business." I said, "Why?" He said, "When Tony Curtis first walked onscreen carrying a bag of groceries -- a bag of groceries! -- you took one look at him and said, 'THAT'S a movie star!'" I said, "Weren't you supposed to say, 'That's a grocery delivery boy?'"

--HARRISON FORD

• Reply 17 of 58
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Sacrilege!

He also complimented Android, so take his Blessing for what its worth...

/

/

/
  • Reply 18 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Sacrilege!

I can't figure out why anyone could possibly care what Wozniak has to say. He's so far out of touch with reality and so full of himself that his opinion couldn't be less interesting if he tried.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The perfect actor to play Steve is Alan Ruck. He was born the same year as Steve so would need make up to play him as a young man. But Alan has a naturally youthful face so he could pull it off. Also a plus is that he is not famous himself. It's always a problem when a huge star plays a "real" person because it's a struggle for the audience to not "see" the celeb peeking though the character.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3158214912/nm0001688

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436697/awards
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeremyMc7 View Post

Without recapping my comments from the previous post on this.

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE! get someone else besides Kutcher.

John Hodgman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rb2JFCqQQg