Siri print ad shows up in Rolling Stone magazine

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

One of the first Apple print spots to feature its Siri virtual assistant popped up in the new issue of Rolling Stone magazine on Monday as part of an iPhone 4S advertisement.

Twitter user Philip Bernstein posted a picture of the ad, which features an iPhone 4S displaying a list of San Francisco coffee shops and their corresponding star ratings below the quote "I could use a latte."

Underscoring the picture in the usual playfully terse Apple ad speak is the slogan: "You Speak. Siri helps. Say hello to the most amazing iPhone yet."

Despite still carrying the "beta" product designation, Siri has been touted as the iPhone 4S' standout feature since the device debuted in October 2011. The voice-recognition software sets itself apart from comparable offerings by being able to parse natural speech rather than having a user memorize keywords and phrases.

The print ad follows the same trend as Apple's Siri television ad blitz which continuously showcases the service's various capabilities and has made the virtual assistant the focus of almost every iPhone 4S commercial.

Apple's Siri print ad as seen in Rolling Stone magazine. | Source: Philip Bernstein via Twitter

A recent study found that some 87 percent of iPhone 4S owners use at least one of Siri's functions each month, whether it be sending a text or scheduling an appointement.

Siri is currently the subject of two class action lawsuits, the most recent of which claims Apple's ads are misleading. The first suit was filed in New York earlier in March and similarly alleges that the service does not work as advertised.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Why are people suing about Siri? They must have some terrible accents or perhaps they are asking theological questions and they don't like the responses Siri gives them. Did they expect Siri to do their college homework? I can understand suing over poor connectivity and dropped service.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    How is this news?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Rolling Stone?

A really has-been rag.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    claygclayg Posts: 1member
    This is not accurate. These ads have been showing up in the New Yorker for more than one month.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    This is news? There was one in a Popular Science magazine that I read like 2 months ago.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Let's just write this off as charity

Note to Apple: don't do this anymore
  • Reply 7 of 23
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Is this an ad for Starbucks?

I can't believe people still order Lattes anyway.

I guess at Starbucks the coffee is so bad you need to cover up the taste any way you can.

Latte has got to be the worst way ever to serve coffee, IMO.

Siri should answer: "I could find you an artisan roasted single origin cup of coffee. Okay?"

Actually I just noticed that Ritual is at the top of the list. Excellent coffee can be purchased there.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Maybe they are referring to this latte.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Yeah, siri's a real gem:

"when do fig trees get figs?". I can't find any arboretums near you.

"call Saint James". Your reminder for July 25 has been set.

"remind me all week at 2 pm about Larry's birthday". Here's your reminder. What day should I set it? "All week at 2 pm!". When should I set it?

A teenager at my church recently told me, "My Siri hates me."

Okay, it's beta. But let's all agree it's not at all smart.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Yeah, siri's a real gem:

"remind me all week at 2 pm about Larry's birthday". Here's your reminder. What day should I set it? "All week at 2 pm!". When should I set it?

You gotta know that Siri has times she just cops an attitude and pretends she doesn't know what you mean. Siri said to me the other day, "I shouldn't have to tell you that!"
  • Reply 11 of 23
    kfurykfury Posts: 14member
    Quote:

A recent study found that some 87 percent of iPhone 4S owners use at least one of Siri's functions each day, whether it be sending a text or scheduling an appointement.

Each month. Not each day.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Yeah, siri's a real gem:

"All week" is not a day.

Perhaps you mean every day this week?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Yeah, siri's a real gem:

Seems to me that the one who's not that smart is the one expecting a phone to read his mind. "remind me all week at 2 pm" is not a logical command.

As for the rest, it's not perfect and no one in their right mind expects it to be. But it works very well for people who speak in normal English. The fact that 87% of iPhone 4S users use Siri regularly is pretty strong evidence that it works for most people.

I'd suggest that you take a source in spoken English.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd suggest that you take a source in spoken English.

Next Apple needs to work on the spelling correction software.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Why are people suing about Siri? They must have some terrible accents or perhaps they are asking theological questions and they don't like the responses Siri gives them. Did they expect Siri to do their college homework? I can understand suing over poor connectivity and dropped service.

I, for one, think Siri is incredibly overrated. I don't use her mostly because 3G speeds on my country are horrible. I would be willing to excuse her apparent inability to understand "Perth" and a few other minor interpretation quibbles if it wasn't for one thing:

For an "Intelligent Assistant", the number of commands available is laughably low. As of now, Siri is just like any other good Voice Control scheme (there aren't many of those, admittedly), except that not only she understands some commands in "human syntax", she outright *requires* them
  • Reply 16 of 23
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    An example:

- Say you want a song. But you have a live album with that song too. Let's use Plug In Baby, present in albums Origin of Symmetry and HAARP (live) as an example.

When I ask "Play Plug In Baby", Siri responds "Playing Plug In Baby..." and the live version starts playing... but I wanted the album version... OK, I didn't specify it, so I guess that if I ask her again she'll go for the other one, right?

Nope.

Alright, that's a minor oversight, but as long she corrects herself when I specify the album, no problem.

"Play Plug In Baby from the album Origin of Symmetry"

"Playing Plug In Baby..." Haarp version unpauses and proceeds playing

Let's try and circumvent that. Plug In Baby is the fifth song, and before it comes Hyper Music, and that is not present in any live albums.

"Play Hyper Music" "Playing Hyper Music..."

"Skip" "Skipping..." Hyper Music starts playing again

So I guess I have to ask her to play the album, and then skip to the fifth song

"Play Origin of Symmetry" "Playing the album Origin of Symmetry...."

"Skip to 5" "I don't understand what you mean by: ..."

"Skip to fifth" "I don't understand what you mean by: ..."

"Skip to Plug In Baby" "I don't understand what you mean by: ..."

GODDAMMIT

"Play album origin of symmetry" "Skip" "Skip" "Skip" "Skip"

There, it only took a page of trial, error, and an unsatisfactory solution.

Also, when I ask "Play OK Computer", she always interprets it as "Okay Computer" and "O Kay Computer", never making the obvious connection between OK and Okay. So I have to say "Play Computer" for it to work...

And why can't she read my effin notes?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    How is this news at all? The same ad is on the back of Wired.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

An example:

- Say you want a song. But you have a live album with that song too. Let's use Plug In Baby, present in albums Origin of Symmetry and HAARP (live) as an example.

When I ask "Play Plug In Baby", Siri responds "Playing Plug In Baby..." and the live version starts playing... but I wanted the album version... OK, I didn't specify it, so I guess that if I ask her again she'll go for the other one, right?

Nope.

Alright, that's a minor oversight, but as long she corrects herself when I specify the album, no problem.

"Play Plug In Baby from the album Origin of Symmetry"

"Playing Plug In Baby..." Haarp version unpauses and proceeds playing

Let's try and circumvent that. Plug In Baby is the fifth song, and before it comes Hyper Music, and that is not present in any live albums.

"Play Hyper Music" "Playing Hyper Music..."

"Skip" "Skipping..." Hyper Music starts playing again

So I guess I have to ask her to play the album, and then skip to the fifth song

"Play Origin of Symmetry" "Playing the album Origin of Symmetry...."

"Skip to 5" "I don't understand what you mean by: ..."

"Skip to fifth" "I don't understand what you mean by: ..."

"Skip to Plug In Baby" "I don't understand what you mean by: ..."

GODDAMMIT

"Play album origin of symmetry" "Skip" "Skip" "Skip" "Skip"

There, it only took a page of trial, error, and an unsatisfactory solution.

Also, when I ask "Play OK Computer", she always interprets it as "Okay Computer" and "O Kay Computer", never making the obvious connection between OK and Okay. So I have to say "Play Computer" for it to work...

And why can't she read my effin notes?

It's not perfect. Big deal.

It's a great first attempt and many people are happy with it. One report says that 87% of iPhone 4S users use Siri regularly. That's pretty impressive for a brand new technology. The fact that you can find one situation where it fails is not all that troublesome.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's not perfect. Big deal.

It's a great first attempt and many people are happy with it. One report says that 87% of iPhone 4S users use Siri regularly. That's pretty impressive for a brand new technology. The fact that you can find one situation where it fails is not all that troublesome.

Thanks for making my comment look like nitpicking
  • Reply 20 of 23
    tongcuitongcui Posts: 4member

I am xumei!How are you? I hope can help you!

[url=http://www.buycheapgw2.com/]Buy Guild Wars 2 Gold[/url]

[url=http://www.okdiablo3.com/]Buy Diablo 3 Gold[/url]