Informed speculation on the new PowerMacs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 116
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It makes little business sense to offer no prebuilt Power Mac with a plain DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive.

And if we are at 1.1 GHz, we'll have more DP models than one...
  • Reply 42 of 116
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    As the new iMac has a Superdrive, all PM's will have a Superdrive. I think its the video card that might differ. Here are my predictions.

Lowend:

1.0 GHZ G4

256 MB ram

60 GB HD

Superdrive

GeForce 2 MX

Same case

$1699.00

Mid:

1.4 GHZ G4

256 MB ram

80 GB HD

Superdrive

GeForce 2 MX

Superdrive

Same case

$2499.00

Highend:

1.2 GHZ G4 Dual

512 MB ram

100 GB HD

GeForce 3

Superdrive

Same case

$3499.00

All will incorporate DDR ram and faster bus. Firewire 2 will debut as well.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Cobra ]</p>
  • Reply 43 of 116
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    This is raing on my G5 parade, found at macrumors.com

[quote] G5 Production Constraints

The manufacturing yields for the G5 via Motorola are not high enough at this time to support Apple's anticipated requirements. There are also some problems with both the g4 and g5 cache aritectures when clocked at over 900mhz. These are being worked.

Due to the low yields, Apple is in a position to negotiate with IBM to co-supply G5s.

So, in short .. you will not see an Apple product shipping with a G5 processor within the next eight to ten months. It is just not possible.

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 44 of 116
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    yes. last year we get a powermac update from 533Mhz to 733Mhz. This was a 37% speed bump. in summer we get an update of 733Mhz to 867Mhz. This is an 18% speed bump.

this time we will get a speed bump of 37% which is near 1.2Ghz - we will get a new fab process which will bring another 30%. now we are between 1.5 and 1.6 Ghz - if this is a G4 or G5 - i don't care.

but i think it's G5.

And NEVER Apple will release another 133Mhz mobo - NEVER
  • Reply 45 of 116
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Cobra, I still think that's faulty logic.

Yes, the iMac has one model with a DVD-RW drive. However, there are two models without that drive. The Power Mac is a whole other line, and they SHOULD have a model that doesn't come with a DVD-RW drive.

Not everybody that walks into an Apple Stor or CompUSA is going to want a Power Mac and a DVD-RW drive.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 46 of 116
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Cobra, I still think that's faulty logic.

Yes, the iMac has one model with a DVD-RW drive. However, there are two models without that drive. The Power Mac is a whole other line, and they SHOULD have a model that doesn't come with a DVD-RW drive.

Not everybody that walks into an Apple Stor or CompUSA is going to want a Power Mac and a DVD-RW drive.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not everybody who buys a PowerBook G4 wants a Combo Drive.

Not everybody who wants an 800Mhz iMac wants a Superdrive.

I hope there will be Superdrives accross the range because personally I'm looking at a new Mac with a 60Gb HDD and a Superdrive, My choices right now are the 800Mhz iMac and the 867Mhz PowerMac. I'm holding my breath to see what Apple does with it's PowerMac range...
  • Reply 47 of 116
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    I thinkapple should go dual processor across the powermac line.
  • Reply 48 of 116
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    I thing there will be a low end single G4/G5 Powermac without the Superdrive, but this time around Apple might offer the Superdrive as BTO option across the board from their online store. Others llike CompUSA might only carry the stock offerings, as they currently do.
  • Reply 49 of 116
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    According to today's naked mole rat report, new G4 powermacs up to 1.4GHz will be released Jan 20th.

Here is the link...

<a href="http://www.macedition.com/nmr/nmr_20020114.php"; target="_blank">http://www.macedition.com/nmr/nmr_20020114.php</a>;

I hope they have DDR and all come with a dual processer option.

- Mark
  • Reply 50 of 116
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    If true, a 266MHz DDR PowerMac with a 1.4GHz G4 puts us within 200MHz of AMD, with no compromise in memory bandwidth.

Not bad. Especially if Mot manages to keep the performance per cycle advantage that the G4 currently maintains.
  • Reply 51 of 116
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    The NMR report does not mention DDR or dual processers. These two items are just my wishes.

- Mark
  • Reply 52 of 116
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Everyone is assuming that Apple will use a Moto design, but this is not assured. The only thing locking them into it is Alti-Vec. However, it would be poor logistics for Apple to rely only on Motorolla for their entire line of processors. I would hope that Jobs learned this lesson with the 500mhz G4, which is even more important if Apple is to use G4's in thier Consumer and Pro, and laptop lines.
  • Reply 53 of 116
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by Evil Ed:

<strong>

Not everybody who buys a PowerBook G4 wants a Combo Drive.

Not everybody who wants an 800Mhz iMac wants a Superdrive.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well considering the cost of using a SuperDrive Apple would cost they may opt to leave it out on the low end. I'd assume that Apple would pay about $200/superdrive. It'd probably only cost them $20 for a CDR/DVD. Makes a lot of sense to me that they'd consider leaving it out. Also helps to differentiate bewteen the low end & mid/high end (read incentive for you to spend more, I'm sure it'd be available for $300 as a BTO).
  • Reply 54 of 116
    The SuperDrive is still expensive enough to not make it standard. Nor worthwhile enough, since not a whole lot of people actually need to burn DVD's.

In the low end PM, I'd rather Apple concentrated on not making a Yikes box, or a non-cache box. Make it just like it's big bros, except with the slower chip and smaller memory, etc.

I'd expect it to cost lowend PM buyers a couple hundred to upgrade from CDRW/DVDROM.

SdC
  • Reply 55 of 116
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>According to today's naked mole rat report, new G4 powermacs up to 1.4GHz will be released Jan 20th.

Here is the link...

<a href="http://www.macedition.com/nmr/nmr_20020114.php"; target="_blank">http://www.macedition.com/nmr/nmr_20020114.php</a>;

I hope they have DDR and all come with a dual processer option.

- Mark</strong><hr></blockquote>

As much as NMR and before it MTK was on the money, I cant remember Apple ever releasing anything on a Sunday.

I just hope that the performance increase this time is significant, and not only in MHz. I want real performance that is demonstrated in all the usual benchmarks. How they get there is up to them. If it takes buzzwords (DDR, HyperTransport etc) great, if not, great. But I can tell you that I will not purchase a new system sight unseen like I have my past two towers (DP533, DP800).
  • Reply 56 of 116
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>According to today's naked mole rat report, new G4 powermacs up to 1.4GHz will be released Jan 20th.

Here is the link...

- Mark</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds good. How good is NMR's track record. To my understanding it's pretty good right? He is Mac the Knife repackaged right?
  • Reply 57 of 116
    Yeah, I was just thinking: WTF? If Apple is going to release a new mobo in the Powermac, it would rate at least a Flint Center party, and preferably on a weekday for the free news coverage......

If Apple goes with a Silent Sunday upgrade, expect nothing more than a faster proc/bigger HD upgrade, which would be sad, because it would indicate no new MAJOR changes for months to come (given Apple's reluctance to do upgrades more than a few times a year, or less).

SdC

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>
  • Reply 58 of 116
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    If the form factor stays the same but they update the mobo and processor then I don't see this as a major update worthy of a special event. The new iMac, yes. It's a new paradigm. But a faster PowerMac in an old case with nothing more than a new motherboard... been there done that. Only if it's the G5 will it be a special event. Upgraded G4's.... no.
  • Reply 59 of 116
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    If they break the "GHz barrier" that's significant enough to get it out to the media. Granted, for the entire industry this would not be anything astounding since the x86 chips now top out at 2.2GHz.

However, there are three audiences for every company announcement: consumers, the press, and the stockholders.

The third crowd with will want to hear this announcement.

Screed

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: sCreeD ]</p>
  • Reply 60 of 116
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Babelfish speaking:

found on <a href="http://www.macnews.de"; target="_blank">www.macnews.de</a>

[quote]

Tomorrow disgraces itself with G5 announcement on an embarrassing Fauxpas of the " Internet pictorial Tomorrow " our colleagues of the MacUp became attentive: In the current February output the page reports of G5 PowerMac with 1.2, 1,4 and 1,6 GHz processors. Whether the printing conclusion probably came there a little too early for the responsible korrespondenten? (mk)

<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.macup.com/news/4698.html"; target="_blank">http://www.macup.com/news/4698.html</a>;

[quote]

14,1,2002 - 12:44: Almost casually reported " Tomorrow " on page 8 of their February output of the just terminated Macworld Expo in San Francisco. The more amazingly, almost sensationally is however, which the korrespondenten that obviously got there Hamburg Internet magazine to face: Tomorrow reports -- after our information so far world-exclusively -- of the G5-Mac introduced in San Francisco, which is to have already broken through the gigahertz sound barrier and with rates between can offer 1,2 and 1.6 gigahertz. The fact is just as surprising that Apple for the new G5 uses up apparently the old G4-Gehaeuse, which vestaubten after the introduction of the " Quicksilver" Design in the last summer probably still in larger stocks in stocks. Probably due to the shortness of the message Tomorrow must unfortunately leave open, starting from when and at which prices these erlkoenige will have to be had. Harm (alm)

<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.tomorrow.de"; target="_blank">www.tomorrow.de</a>

Don't know what this means ???????? :eek: :eek: