Apple's 'iPanel' called 'far more than a TV,' expected to launch in 2012

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

A new report claims Apple's anticipated television set could be called "iPanel," portraying the product expected to launch later this year as "far more than a TV."

Analyst Peter Misek with Jefferies upped his price target for AAPL stock on Thursday to $800 on the prospect of a television set from Apple. His estimates now include an Apple television set, as he said he has "enough confidence" that the product will be launching in the fourth quarter of calendar 2012.

He said the name "iPanel" would be better for the product than "iTV," as the term TV gives a limited impression of what the rumored device will be able to do.

"It is a display, gaming center, media hub, computer, home automator, etc.," Misek said in justifying the "iPanel" name. "Also, Apple would likely have difficulty getting naming rights from the UK TV network ITV."

Rumors of an Apple product named "iTV" have lingered for years, and the name was previously tied to the company's set-top box, which remains known as the Apple TV. But the name ITV is also short for Independent Television, a British network that has been on the air since 1955 which broadcasts popular shows like "Downton Abbey."

Beyond the "iPanel" name, Misek believes the Apple television will have a $1,250 average selling price and 30 percent gross margins. He also believes that Apple will sell an additional iPad or iPhone per television set as part of the company's "halo effect," in which customers frequently buy into the Apple ecosystem and purchase more of the company's products.

Misek bases his increased confidence on a forthcoming Apple television on three key points. First, he believes the newly announced $800 million agreement between Foxconn and Sharp will play a key role in manufacturing the anticipated television set.

Second, Misek said his recent checks in China have indicated that specialty components for an Apple television have begun to ship to the company's suppliers. Specifically, polarized films, filters, and IGZO display components are reportedly being shipped in "small quantities."

Finally, Misek also said that his analysis of building permits and satellite images suggests that Apple is doubling the size of its massive North Carolina data center. Apple's plans to add a 4.8-megawatt fuel cell farm at the data center were revealed this week.

The analyst expects that Apple will begin commercial production of its forthcoming television set at some point in the months of May or June. He sees between 2 million and 5 million televisions being built in time for a launch at the end of 2012.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 131
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    IF this Peter Misek guy works for an investment company wouldn't making the statement that Apple stock will reach $800 and tack that onto a new Apple TV or Panel rumor be a little questionable. Is he trying to influence the stock price?
  • Reply 2 of 131
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    I don't know what to believe, but, I think the iPanel is a more appropriate name than iTV. I suppose Apple may come up with a even better name.
  • Reply 3 of 131
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    bigger is better, so i'm hoping that iPanel refers to wall sized TV..

80" inch sharp oh oh yes.
  • Reply 4 of 131
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Quote:

A new report claims Apple's anticipated television set could be called "iPanel," portraying the product expected to launch later this year as "far more than a TV."

If this is a wish from Misek- the correct wording would be 'should".

And quite frankly- who cares what he'd like it to be called?
  • Reply 4 of 131
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    How about iScreen?
  • Reply 6 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

How about iScreen?

How about iMaginary?
  • Reply 7 of 131
    Quote:

How about iScreen?

What's with the "i" attached to it at all? I believe it was Steve who once said no one wants to search the internet on their living room wall.
  • Reply 8 of 131
    Quote:

How about iScreen?

I was thinking iVision myself.
  • Reply 9 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... He said the name "iPanel" would be better for the product than "iTV," as the term TV gives a limited impression of what the rumored device will be able to do.

"It is a display, gaming center, media hub, computer, home automator, etc.," Misek said in justifying the "iPanel" name. ...

Unless it is also a multi-touch screen, "iPanel" would be a rather bad name IMO.

All the uses he lists are "screen" uses. "Panels" can traditionally be control panels as well.

"iScreen" would be more logical but "iTV" is best and it's really just a wild assumption on everyone's part that they can't use it because of that horrible British TV station IMO. I predict it will be "iTV".
  • Reply 10 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

Keep dreaming.
  • Reply 11 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How about iMaginary?

iCan't!
  • Reply 12 of 131
    I believe GE Healthcare has a product with that name, so this could be a problem for Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PipesH4 View Post

I believe GE Healthcare has a product with that name, so this could be a problem for Apple.

Well then if it recognizes your face-

iMirror?
  • Reply 14 of 131
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i'm just wondering what the tagline on the invitations to the launch event will be.

"watch this"?
  • Reply 15 of 131
    "He said the name "iPanel" would be better for the product than "iTV," as the term TV gives a limited impression of what the rumored device will be able to do."

Forget calling it iPanel. I am sure some Chinese fly by night company with the help of some corrupted officials will claim Apple violated their valuable IP of already invented and registered the name.
  • Reply 16 of 131
    kldadekldade Posts: 2member
    I thought iVision too...

Just as Apple's telephone is the iPhone, their television would be the iVision!

...although the iPad isn't a telepad... that would be awesome
  • Reply 17 of 131
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haar View Post

Don't forget the 4k resolution at that size!
  • Reply 18 of 131
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member
    just 1250?

well.. no chance in hell. almost that *2? yes.
  • Reply 19 of 131
    tleviertlevier Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

"iScreen" would be more logical but "iTV" is best and it's really just a wild assumption on everyone's part that they can't use it because of that horrible British TV station IMO. I predict it will be "iTV".

I don't think it's a wild assumption. iTV has been very adamant and proactive in defending their name and posturing that they would never license it out, even to Apple. Knowing that Apple likes to have the same name World-Wide for their products, it's a TAME assumption.

iPanel works linguistically with their other products. They already have a "TV" product in Apple TV. This will have to differentiate itself entirely from what they've done before as a hobby. iPanel lets them do that.

I get what people are saying about Panels being interactive control centers. Perhaps one of Apple's inventions with this will be some sort of "Always On" display for home information. If they want it to be at the center of Home Automation, an "Always On" feature that uses minimal power will be important.
  • Reply 20 of 131
    ahrubikahrubik Posts: 80member
    For the last time they are not making a God Damn TV.